ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alarms and TPS - aaaarrrrggghhhhh!

Evening everyone, I'm a recent Clio phase 2 172 owner, and I love the car to bits, but the alarm system is playing me up something chronic.

Car going well up until last week, when after a day of not being used, it refused to start. Won't turn over at all, not even the low battery "CLICK". Thinking it's an immobiliser fault, I leave it a day or two and try again, but no joy. Tried again today, and eventually got it going, but it's essentially useless as it start so infrequently as to be no use.

WHat happens is that the remote unlocks the car and disarms the alarm fine, but the immobiliser won't disarm 95 times out of 100 - the light on the dash between the dials flashes rapidly and wont turn the car over, and won't prime the fuel pump. I have two keys, one seems to be more successful than the other, but there is little rhyme or reason to what is playing up.

I thought I'd disconnect the battery for a bit, which made little difference other than to put the car in limp mode when I do get it started eventually. What seems odd is that it will go through 5 minutes or so when it will start properly, and then throws a fit and refuses. When it does run, my code reader shows a TPS fault, code P0120 "TPS/Pedal Position Sensor A circuit malfunction", limited revs, etc.

Would disconnecting the battery cause any problems in this area - had no trace of a problem until today with the TPS/Pedal circuit, just the blooming alarm!

I have cleaned up the relays behind the passenger headlight, they were a bit green on a couple of connectors but not hopeless.

I feel I need the original Renault Immob circuit bypassed, and the Sigma alarm junked!

Any ideas from anyone? It's a great car, but not much use to me if I can't use it!

http://www.automotiveelectronic.co.uk/cars/renaultimmobiliser.htm

I found these guys that offer an Immob bypass - anybody seen this done? I don't care about the alarms not being present, I'll get a decent one fitted if I can get the car starting reliably again.

(Thats two of my cars off the road with alarm problems - got an Impreza that won't start either!)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Requires new keys or UCH.

Not the end of the world but needs correctly diagnosing to save wasting £300-500

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I had a fault whereby mine wouldn't start intermittently with similar symptoms to you. Granted it didn't happen anywhere near as frequently as yours. I changed my battery and it hasn't happened since (this was around 3 years ago).

Might be worth trying a new battery?

But like Mick says don't go spending out loads of money until you've got a proper diagnosis.