ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All in one lens ready for holiday!?

Just checked my standard Nikon 18-55m is a AFS lens and my Tamron is 55-200mm AF lens.

What does 'S' mean?? something to do with sharpness?

Black 172...KN53EL*
I'm sure AF-S lenses have motors within the lens, and AF lenses require the focus motor to be in the camera, otherwise it's manual focus only.

Last edited:
kneebs is spot on.

The D50 is from before Nikon took the motor out of new entry level cameras, so it doesn't matter if you get an AF lens, it will work fine on a D50. Only AF-S lenses will auto-focus on a D40/60, but AF and AF-S will auto-focus on a D50/80.

To clarify:

D50/80: AF = Autofocus, AF-S = Autofocus

D40/40X/60: AF = no Autofocus, AF-S = Autofocus

For Sigma lenses, substitute AF-S for HSM

Last edited:
What can you get for your two lenses + what you've saved for a new one because I'd personally look into the 18-200 VR if I shot Nikon, won't get you longer but looks like a stella one lens solution and you'll have similar apertures to what you have now.

Thanks for the advice, the 18-200mm Nikon looks like a minter! If I were to part ex my 2 lenses I couldn't strech to paying out about £400 for the lens, only got about £200 to spend on a lens.

Maybe I'll get the Sigma for now as ukaskew says the D50 has motor built in. I'll just have to save some pennies to buy a stella lens in the future...