ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All Mk2 Sport Steering Wheels same?

172 FF
I've had some probs since I changed out my steering wheel. The old one had melted & grips gone so I got a replacement from a scrappers.
They both looked the same when I took them off but I didn't measure them.

The problem:
When I put the replacement wheel on it went on fine, but when I turned the wheel round it sometimes clicked, like the indicators turning off, but louder.

I took it apart again & tried to find what was wrong but couldn't see anything obvious. When it's assembled the plastic ring on the back with the airbag connectors moves back & forth as slight bit & I wondered if there is supposed to be a spring or something to hold it back??

Anyway I put some sticky pads on the back of the two flat metal bits at the back of the wheel to try & hold the plastic bit down so it didn't move back & forth.
This seemed to work fine for a few miles, then it started clicking again :/

A week later & the airbag light came on, but the the clicking stopped & the indicators didn't switch off anymore.

I left it like that because I was fed up with it. Now my MOT is due & I decided to have a go at sorting it & found the coil had popped out & tangled & split (hence airbag light). New coil part from Renault is £85+VAT :(

Just wondered why the new wheel is such a pain in the ar$e. Are some different? Or am I missing some part that maybe flew off when I took the wheel off first time?

172 FF
Can someone list the components behind the wheel then?
or if there is only the 1 part what holds it in position?

172 FF
I've cut up 2 PTFE seals now & used them as a spacer between the back of the wheel & the plastic plate, seems to sort it for now. There was about 10mm float between the back of the wheel & the plate, so either there should be a spring/spacer there or the steering wheel is different to the one I took off.

Anyone work at Renault & got an assembly diagram?

ph1 172
if you didnt make sure you had the airbag connector centred you could have trashed that. They arent cheap either...

172 FF
if you didnt make sure you had the airbag connector centred you could have trashed that. They arent cheap either...

What is the airbag connector? I have trashed the part with the coil on it as it has snapped now, everything else seems to go back ok, but just seems like something is missing.

www.renparts.co.uk
we do all the airbag connectors etc, if there is anything you need give us a call
cliospares ltd: 01302 867985