ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy spacers

I recently put a set of 17" speedline turinis on my 172. I was told they would fit no probs but the seller forgot to tell me that they were the wrong offset! So now when theres 4/5 people in the car theres terrible noises over every nook and cranny.

Will spacers help? I dont have a clue how these work, so any help would be appreciated. Where could i buy them? And is there a universal spacer or would it have to be from speedline?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks on advance guys and dolls

Hannah :D

depends where they rub. if on the body work arches then no but if against the suspension then yes. try demon tweeks.

if its touching the suspension then spacers will help.just small ones. also the wheels should be marked with the offset. this will be a figure starting with the letters et. if you can find this it will tell you the offset then knowing what the 172 should be you could by spacers to correct the wheels and this should sort out any problems.

I know theyre et35. Hmm, do places like halfords, motorworld do them or should i steer clear? hehe

Thanks for all the help by the way!

yes its alright to use halfords for 3mm or 5mm spacers anything wider you need to use eibach spacers from demon tweeks.your alloys are et35 .i,m not sure what offset the 172 is if the same as early clios then they where et42 which means your alloys are 7mm futher out so spacers would make it worse but i,m not sure on the 172 offset. if this is the case though you would have to have the wheels machined. they should be able to sort this out at halfords though.

Burgandy 174 sport t

i got my 5mm spacers from halfords and they are fine!!!

so far!!! pain in the arse changing a wheel but!!!

Skoda Fabia vRS

if the 172 offset is 37mm then the offset isnt wrong for the car, the wheels are fairly right

the noises your getting are more than likely simply because you have too many people in the car to get away with the wheels you have put on

i dont carry anybody but me and 1 passenger at all times, for this very reason...

if you use spacers your offset would get LOWER, so probably make matters worse in all honesty

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The 172 has a 48.5 offset so they are completely the wrong offset for the car. I did say before you bought the wheels!

Anyway spacers do work but not in your case since you want to bring the wheel inwards. You can only use spacers to move the wheel outwards. For example if you had ET45 you could use a 5mm spacer to get ET40 but you cant go backwards!

Your best bet would be to get the arches rolled but youll have to find a good/trustworthy place to get it done. There is a really good place near me but thats in Newcastle!

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

48.5???? i had mine lowered 30mm and 17s when i first got mine, when i rang round for prices for them all the ppl i spoke to said 37et, even k-tec and they should know eh. i had my arches rolled , and on one side it rubbed on full lock and with passengers even then, so i had the rivets in the arches filed down, rubbing was then minimal just on one side. after having the 17s for a while i got rid of them n put the 16s back on as the ride was too tender for my dainty arse, hope this helps gal.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The Cup has ET37 I think but the standard 172 is deffo ET48.5!!

Ive got the same wheels in ET42 and they dont rub at all..its not lowered mind you!

Ok, im kinda of buggered then :cry:

I trusted the guy as he was off here so im kinda pissed off that he let me buy them knowing full well they were the wrong bloody offset :mad:

What does arch rolling involve?

Thanks guys x

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Arch rolling is where the inside of the wheel arches is heated so that it become soft and then it moved/bent out the way. So rubbing should be cut out or at least reduced. Its not a major problem if its rubbing on the inside as it is out of site so any damage will not be noticed.

But if its on the outside there is a risk of crack in paintwork if for example they push to far. This is your case I think, as the lower offset will mean rubbing on the inside of the wings.

If your going to get it done make sure that whoever does it knows what they are doing!!! Like I said before there is a great company in Newcastle I can give your their details if you want. Paul172 had his done there without any probs.

Youre ET means your wheels stick out to much..theyll be rubbing on the outer edges of the arch. Spacers wont help then..and if theyre not hub centric theyll do more bad than good anyway. The ET isnt wrong, in fact its good..just not with that many people in clearly!

-Rob

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 25 November 2003

Youre ET means your wheels stick out to much..theyll be rubbing on the outer edges of the arch. Spacers wont help then..and if theyre not hub centric theyll do more bad than good anyway. The ET isnt wrong, in fact its good..just not with that many people in clearly!

-Rob

Isnt that what I just said? ;)

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 25 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 25 November 2003

-Rob

Isnt that what I just said? ;)
Did you? oops

You also said she has the wrong offset..which is misleading..its fine.

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Not really.

Rob get this: suspension moves up and down, shocking i know but there you go.

Et37 is the correct offset for 17s

Astra 1.9cdti XP

But I know the standard wheels dont do it so it not right!!

ITS JUST NOT RIGHT OK! ;)

4 or 5 people in the back, thats gonna be bit tight!

Lionel Richie

just get the face of the wheel ground down by 2mm = et 37 problem solved!!!

im running on et37 but with 5mm spacers on the front so technically im running et 32 on the front!!!!!