ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy wheel refurb ??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Whats the best filler for scratches on an alloy . Got myself a second hand alloy today , badly scratched , slightly too deep to sand out .

Cheers .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
bigmaddaz said:
I used something called metal expoxy.... B&Q and Halfords will do it!

Thanks mate :)

I'll have a look for some tomorrow !

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Bathi said:
if not use some dolphin glaze! made by upol!

Where do ya get that from ? I found some upol stuff on teh net but no mention of the dolphin glaze stuff .

Would normal car body filler not be suitable if i can't find any of the ones suggested ? The scratches aren't that deep , but deep enough not to be able to be sanded out .

MrBillyUK !

MrBillyUK this wheel was badly kurbed used metal epoxy on it then when it went hard sanded it down... try and get as much excess of as yo can before it sets cos its hard to sand down, heres a pic of one of the wheels I refurbed which was quite badly kurbed.
115_1533.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
bigmaddaz said:
MrBillyUK this wheel was badly kurbed used metal epoxy on it then when it went hard sanded it down... try and get as much excess of as yo can before it sets cos its hard to sand down, heres a pic of one of the wheels I refurbed which was quite badly kurbed.
115_1533.jpg

Good job there mate . They look mint :)

I couldn't find any metal epoxy , i've used this .

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=320

Off to give em a sand down now .Its only for a spare in the boot , so just wanted to tidy em up a bit . £36 off ebay for the wheel :)

A couple of pics

MrBillyUK !

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 113
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 59
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 93
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 107
  106 GTi
I would get it blasted and see how deep they look then. Spray it with hi-build primer and take it from there.

Tesla MP3 2021
god that is kirbed.
did they drive up against a brick wall. i wouldnt wanna take that task on.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
A couple of updated pics .

Filled , sanded , first coat of primer . In between washing the car in the freezing cold :( .

Time to eat now , sand the primer later tonight with some 1500 - 2000 grit .

Not bothered if its not 100% perfect as long as it looks 100% better than it did , only a spare after all .

MrBillyUK !

Attachments

• pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 55
  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 69

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
r-jay said:
Looing good, what's the plan for the anthracite colour?

Looking at an old post , i saw it mentioned that Daewoo moonstone silver was anthracite . It looks too silvery so i've got some Rover Storm grey .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
r-jay said:
Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Me too . Halfords is out of the rover storm grey , stock arrivals on Thurs but can't guarantee it will be in the order :( went to the next town , halfords has burnt down 3 years ago lol .

Oh well , looks like a delay in bein finished .

MrBillyUK !

ex Clio 172 owner :(
What are the chances of this working on wheels that have been badly kerbed around the rim?
Obviously it would be a bit harder to sand.

Would a repaired rim stand up to the monkey tyre fitters putting new tyres on?

Anyone recommend a colour for standard silver 172 alloys?

I found my second hand 172 has a spare alloy in the boot. Scuffed also and worth experimenting on.

Cheers.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Chris1.4RT said:
What are the chances of this working on wheels that have been badly kerbed around the rim?
Obviously it would be a bit harder to sand.

Would a repaired rim stand up to the monkey tyre fitters putting new tyres on?

Anyone recommend a colour for standard silver 172 alloys?

I found my second hand 172 has a spare alloy in the boot. Scuffed also and worth experimenting on.

Cheers.

Easier to sand round the rim , harder ( not hard ) sanding round the pattern on the wheel . Mine were more or less ok round the rim , slightly filled , somethin and nothin really compared to the spokes .
I used this filler , got it from Halfords , was about £5.00 ish , can't remember exact price .

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=320

Not sure how they would stand up to a tyre fittin monkey .
Don't know the colour you would need for a standard 172 wheel , sorry .

MrBillyUK !

106 GTi
182's have the paintcode on the inside of the wheel centre cap, worth checking the 172 on just in case.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
A couple of updated pics . Need to let it dry then wet n dry . Then a couple more coats of colour and lacquer , work n time permitting .Results are lookin' promising , not exactly 100% colour match but near as damn it for the spare wheel :)

MrBillyUK !

Attachments

• pic 7.jpg
    pic 7.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 100
  • pic 8.jpg
    pic 8.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 109
  • pic 9.jpg
    pic 9.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 67

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers R-jay :)

You know you say the paint code is on the inside of the centre cap . Where could i get the paint from if i supply the paint code ? Halfords have run out of the paint until they get their new stock so it might be worth trying to get the exact match , not the 99% match .

Any ideas ?

MrBillyUK !

106 GTi
You will need to go to a local bodyshop and get them to order/supply you the paint or find a local paint supplier yourself and give them the code. If you have a local Motorfactors like Brown Brothers they can do it. They should also be able to put it in rattle cans for you.

Paint code is 205-110, Ixell paint.

Cheers

Rich

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
r-jay said:
You will need to go to a local bodyshop and get them to order/supply you the paint or find a local paint supplier yourself and give them the code. If you have a local Motorfactors like Brown Brothers they can do it. They should also be able to put it in rattle cans for you.

Paint code is 205-110, Ixell paint.

Cheers

Rich

Cheers Rich your a star ;) I'll get try and get some paint sorted tomorrow :)

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Finished at last :)

Process :

Cleaned wheel with AG Engine and machine cleaner . Washed then dried .

Filled all the scratches with Upol D Metallic filler .

http://www.paints4u.com/productsbyC...inSelection=2&SubCategoryID=10&Subselection=4

Wet n dry 320 grit .

Primed and sanded 320 grit , not too smooth so the top coat would key to the primer .

I couldn't find any local motor factors who could make up the the anthracite paint , not even Renault could supply it or new anyone who could . Thanks Renault ;)

Got the local motor factor to make up some Rover storm grey with a touch more red in it .

A couple of thin coats of storm grey then 1500 grit wet n dry . Then final couple of coats and left to dry for 24 hours .

3 coats of clear , 2000 grit wet n dry . Washed then Meguiars scratch X .

I'll AG super resin polish then extra gloss protection when i get time just to add some protection .

New tyre to be fitted then in the boot she goes for a spare .

Pretty happy with the results and it was pretty easy to do :)

Just a recap of the pics and final pics :

MrBillyUK !

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 51
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 47
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 43
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 34
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 42

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Final results :)

MrBillyUK !

Attachments

• PIC 10.jpg
    PIC 10.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 96
  • PIC 11.jpg
    PIC 11.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 92

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers :)

Final pics look a bit ropey , not the best shed to take pics in ,lol ;)

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lol, nah your ok , don't think i'll be going into business . Have a go yourself , its not that hard , and doesn't cost that much .

MrBillyUK !

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
MRBILLYUK said:
Lol, nah your ok , don't think i'll be going into business . Have a go yourself , its not that hard , and doesn't cost that much .

MrBillyUK !

How much would you say?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
r-jay said:
Looks good, what was the colour match like in the end?
Cheers Rich .

Pretty good colour match after i got the paint mixed . Just struggled to get anyone to mix the colour code 205-110 i gave em . And Renault couldn't help in that department either .

MrBillyUK !