ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy wheels refurb - how’s it done

Renault Laguna Coupe

So how exactly do they get rid of the kerb scuffs when you get your wheels re-furbed? Do they fill the dings in with something?

Ziel Nurburgring

I wondered that, as i have 1 scuffed but thought that they must just remould something onto it

Typically, chemical strip or blast them.

Then finish with either filler or on a lath depending on rim and finish.

Then paint, powdercoat etc etc.

If youve got yours, just get them chemically cleaned, rinse, use some filler, smooth then paint.

its VERY time consuming if you want to doa good job and paint it, wet & drying down etc.

hours and hours! lol

WHy i prefer getting them sandblast and then powdercoated.

The halfords stuff comes with paint and filler/epoxy..sandpaper and tyre cover and a roll of masking tape. I have used it to do my alloy and have done a good job if i can say so myself!...ONE thing thought, you would have to get another paint colour as close to your alloy as possible, the one that comes in the pack is to be honest crap lol. I use the range of car paints that halfords do. the most anxious bit is the sanding i think....get over the fear about sanding and youre there!

Squeeze the expoxy/filler into the kub damaged area etc...sand, clean until nice and level and smooth and then PRIME! (also used halfords primer), spray and then laquer...like any other paint job!..........i know people would say get the whole wheel refurbed etc as they use special paint...powder coat etc....but to be honest most times its a very minor bit that you want to do up............MY repair has lasted 6 months now and there is no fading flaking etc of the paint, itll hold if you prep it properly.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 21 May 2004

its VERY time consuming if you want to doa good job and paint it, wet & drying down etc.

hours and hours! lol

WHy i prefer getting them sandblast and then powdercoated.
Took me the whole day to paint those Megane wheels last week, what with prep, sanding, masking etc. I was really surprised how well they turned out though.

Its a pain using refurbishers - have to get tyres removed - ££, take wheels for refurb - ££££££ - get tyres refitted - ££ again. Not really practical unless you have a spare set of wheels or can do without the car for a few days.

Ah, but chipsaway dont remove the tyre! Job probably not as good mind..

But will be better than you with the experience/training they have. I hope!

-Rob

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 21 May 2004

Ah, but chipsaway dont remove the tyre! Job probably not as good mind.. Ah didnt know that!

But will be better than you with the experience/training they have. I hope! Undoubtedly!

-Rob

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

£75 notes a rim!!! thats steep!! i got my 4 rims done for £50 a rim and was well chuffed with the outcome!!!!

Paul16v did a set of Willy rims.. when I asked him how to do it he just said "dont f**king bother mate".

Like Ben said, were talking hours upon hours for a good finish, and thats just one wheel.

Unless you enjoy suffering, I really would rethink the idea.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Mike,

My brother is an alloy wheel refurbishers so goes something like...

Tyre etc off and wheel then but in chemical/bath. After all the laquer is off etc and its back to the alloy - usually a powdery white/grey colour it is then put on what they call a milling machine. What this in effect does is spin the wheel up against a large lathe which cuts the edge of the rim, the bit youve curbed. it is then shaped and molded so youd never know.

it then goes back into a soloution for cleaning etc and then comes round for powder coating and then baking and then the rim is checked to make sure its ok and then put on a giant rack for cooling before fitting to the car for the customer.

Thats a rough outline. It does take a long time. Simon

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah they just skim a couple of mm off the rim and bobs your uncle. If its got a special finish, they need a full stripdown.

Do you reckon my alloy can get refurbed????? :oops: :oops:

hehe.

www.modifieduk.com/Connor/Misc/curbed1.jpg">
www.modifieduk.com/Connor/Misc/curbed1.jpg

www.modifieduk.com/Connor/Misc/curbed2.jpg">
www.modifieduk.com/Connor/Misc/curbed2.jpg

oops! lol

[Edited by connor on 5/21/2004 11:28:35 PM]

[Edited by connor on 5/21/2004 11:32:38 PM]

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i just had them done at a local coachworks in Derby, only took half a day

100 quid for 4 hours work - not bad money for a bit of sanding and painting.

pity ive kerbed them already:(

Renault Laguna Coupe

Sounds complex, but Im going to try a DIY effort anyway just to see what can be done. My original 172 wheels are well shot (due to my own incompetence), so nothing to lose really.

Dont have a lathe, just a load of wet n dry and willpower!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

too be honest an orbital sander is the best bet as long as you use the right paper, if they are totally gone then maybe sand down and smooth yourself then take to bodyshop to be painted and laqeured.