ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternate Jacking Points

JToroPaz

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Anyone know a place to jack the rear of a 182 that isn’t the original jacking point on the sills, or the rear axle beam?

I’m replacing the rear shocks, the rear jacking points were mangled when I got the car I don’t trust them so I need an alternative. I normally use the rear axle. Only problem is I need to compress the rear suspension slightly while taking the shocks off. So I need to jack up first from somewhere that isn’t the sill, then compress the suspension from the rear axle. I just can’t figure out where that ‘somewhere that isn’t the sill’ is

I had a look through other posts about jacking points but couldn’t find an answer, sorry if this has been asked before

Thank you in advance for any insight!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Are you using an alternative jack than the factory one? Put a piece of wood on it and use that to distribute the load better onto the sill?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Jack up the rear beam, have the jack in the middle of the rear beam. Get two axle stands to put on the rear jacking points. Lower the jack on the rear beam so the rear of the car sits on the axle stands.

Now use the jack, still on the rear beam to take the slack on the rear beam. loosen the rear shock bolts a few turns, adjust the jack to fully take the slack on the rear beam so the weight of the beam isnt on the bolts. take bolts off.

When putting the rear shock bolts back in after replacing the shocks, make sure the bolts go in nicely with just your fingers. Its so easy to cross thread these so be careful.

JToroPaz

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Are you using an alternative jack than the factory one? Put a piece of wood on it and use that to distribute the load better onto the sill?

Yeah just a regular rolling jack, true but the sills are quite mangled so it’s tricky to get anything to sit nicely on them

JToroPaz

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Jack up the rear beam, have the jack in the middle of the rear beam. Get two axle stands to put on the rear jacking points. Lower the jack on the rear beam so the rear of the car sits on the axle stands.

Now use the jack, still on the rear beam to take the slack on the rear beam. loosen the rear shock bolts a few turns, adjust the jack to fully take the slack on the rear beam so the weight of the beam isnt on the bolts. take bolts off.

When putting the rear shock bolts back in after replacing the shocks, make sure the bolts go in nicely with just your fingers. Its so easy to cross thread these so be careful.

The actual method I’m good on (but thank you still). What I ideally need is a place that isn’t the sill to sit the jack stands on. It’s that or potentially bend the jacking points back into shape even if it’s just for one use and get them redone later

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
The actual method I’m good on (but thank you still). What I ideally need is a place that isn’t the sill to sit the jack stands on. It’s that or potentially bend the jacking points back into shape even if it’s just for one use and get them redone later
Bend em back then bolt a bit of box section behind them 👍

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

Here are my fronts, but a bit of fiddling and you can do something similar with the rear.

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
i was tempted to fit these to my ph1 when all the welding work was undertaken but i decided to just jack off the front wishbones.

1711640668923.png

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You’ve both commented next to one another, this is like some sort of Hadron Collider.

I just need that Leeds boy to comment now and my brain will actually explode.