ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternative overheating solutions

I thought the fan therm switch had gone on my valver, but on the journey to buy a new one from renault, i turned the car off, and the fan started running! So its not the fan switch that is the problem. What other reasons could there be for the car overheating?

Im not sure the fan comes on when the car is running, as the temps are still high, it only came on a few seconds after i switched the car off. Is there a reason why the fan wouldnt run with the car on? The water is really rusty - could this make huge difference to the cooling?

I cant really think of any other reasons/solutions. Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Maybe dirt and corrosion on the sensor...The rusty water will make a difference. Clios are famous for crap radiators the same as most pugs etc. Flush the system fully and get all the rust out of it. While your there take the switch off and give it a good clean.

yeah i was just gonna replace the switch while i was flushing the system, to eliminate that as a problem. Is it worth replacing the thermostat aswell?

Im gonna bridge the fan permanantly for the time being til i get time to flush the system. Will there be any problems with this?!

Ive heard of a few of them only coming on when engine is stopped.. weird.. think it just went away on most.

Quote: Originally posted by Si Griffiths on 25 September 2004

yeah...just realised i wont be able to perma bridge it as it runs constantly even without the ignition on - grrrrr

you will be able to if you wire it back to the ignition.

Take the thermostat out completely, it will take a little while to warm up, but it will tell you if its faulty!