ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternative to Ad08R

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I dunno if you guys get different compounds over there but pretty much all of your tyre experiences are at polar opposites to my first hand experience.

The ones you love I just shake my head at. Ar1, rsrr, etc.

Then you come out and slate AD08’s which have been the best compromise tyre on a clio so far for me. Probably more to do with driving style I imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new ones have the bad reviews AD08RS rather than the older AD08R. I have the RS on some wheels but yet to try in anger. I guess I'll see first hand in August!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
There's the acelera something something that's meant to be similar. @Danith ordered them recently. I'm dead keen to see what they're like
It's that balance of a tyre that is decent in the wet/dry, pretty hard wearing and also can provide decent grip when out for a spirited drive! Ad08r really hit all those points, not had a single issue with them through snow either!

Think i'm stuck between the ad08rs, R1R, 595rs but unsure what else is good. It's buying tyres and them not living upto expectations which would be disappointing. I've seen a set of original AD08R's on ebay for £300 but dont know whether they're really worth it over other tyres.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
The probelm is, tyre performance is often subjective brake pads, what one likes, others hate.
People go crazy for DS2500s and i think thyre awful, likewise i think R888s and NS2Rs work pretty good in the wet (not standing water obviously) others hate them.
I've had great results on road and track from R888s. NS2Rs, Federal RSRs, Kumho V70As, Michelin Cup 2s.
As it stands i use Cup 2 on the Porsche and a mix of R888s on the Clio for summer and Michelin PS3 for winter.
I wouldnt hesitate on buying any of the above tyres again :)

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
So, best road tyre to replace AD08R? Or most comparable. Wont be going on track.
I'm very happy on RainSport 3's as a road tyre. There's an RS5 now which I have not tried and I'm not sure what the difference is. My car is full track set up so far from road spec, but I have yet to unstick them in the dry on a b-road and tbh you shouldn't be trying too, and in the rain as mentioned they are phenomenal on road & track. I paid less than £50 a corner (195/50/15) inc fitting so very cost effective as well.

I'm very happy on RainSport 3's as a road tyre. There's an RS5 now which I have not tried and I'm not sure what the difference is. My car is full track set up so far from road spec, but I have yet to unstick them in the dry on a b-road and tbh you shouldn't be trying too, and in the rain as mentioned they are phenomenal on road & track. I paid less than £50 a corner (195/50/15) inc fitting so very cost effective as well.
Rainsports 5's are decent. I've got them as wets for my MR2 and they are epic in wet conditions, better than the 3's IMO. Stiffer sidewalls than the 3's as well so don't roll over as much when really pushed. Although like the 3's they don't have as much steering feel compared to other premium road tyres from Goodyear, Michelin, Continental etc I paid £160 for all 4 in staggered 15/16 sizes.

I got caught out at 3 sisters last week were I anticipated rain so drove down on the RS5's and it was near enough dry by the time I got there, bit greasy but a dry track. Done the first session thinking this is going to be awful and the tyres would be delaminated by the time the 15 minute session was over as 3S is a tyre shredder. To my surprise they held up really, really well after I'd found (gone past) the limit on lap 3. Looking back I probably had as much, if not more grip than @Danith who was running the AD08RS. The RS5's were only 3s a lap slower than my AR1's as well.

Session on the RS5's below...

Last edited:
  Clio 182
I've put on my car a set of Federal 595RS-PRO. I don't have much experience with semi-slicks but these grip well and don't need heating up. I heard there are two compounds: soft and hard. The hard one screeches at the limit while the soft one doesn't. I got the soft one and I think I just need to get used to no audible warning at the limit of adhesion.

Clio 197
I ran AD08R last winter/spring at two trackdays, thinking they would be a good wet tyre owing to the tread pattern and more roadgoing nature of them. In the wet and Donington they were very average, have since gone to RainSport 3's which are a country mile better - in the soaking wet at Silverstone in November I could keep with a novice TCR driver on racing wets through Maggots - Becketts.

Ran them one day in the dry at Cadwell Park in May, ambient temp about 20c, sunny day. After one day they had basically de-laminated. Ran 30psi hot all round, didn't have a pyrometer back then so not sure of surface temp. Sufficed to say these came straight off!

View attachment 1483790View attachment 1483791

Went back to R888R which are decent, next tyre to try will be DZ03G as I've heard great things.
They're not meant to be used as a winter tyre so i'm not surprised they were average. They're a summer tyre.

Clio 172 ph 1
On my road legal Clio I´m currently using Zeknova Semi Slick RS606. I´m not an expert, but I´m quite happy with these. The price is not that bad and the ride is so much better than the prevoius cheap Nexen tyres. Although I´m not sure if you can buy these in UK, I´m in continental EU.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
On my road legal Clio I´m currently using Zeknova Semi Slick RS606. I´m not an expert, but I´m quite happy with these. The price is not that bad and the ride is so much better than the prevoius cheap Nexen tyres. Although I´m not sure if you can buy these in UK, I´m in continental EU.

Quite a few people in the UK have used these for drifting :)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Did you get the Accelera tyres @Danith ?

Yeah used em at Donington in the wet. They're absolutely 100% better than ad08rs, but not as good as ad08r unfortunately.
Great for the price. Firm sidewalls, grippy but go off quite quickly. Not too bad in wet either, so keeping them as wet weather tyres and bought some Avon zzr for balls out dry tyres.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
A052s are the ones to go for, My AD08R were a disappointment on Monday at KH, I think I've had the best out them

Just a shame the A052s don't last anywhere near as long

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
A052s are the ones to go for, My AD08R were a disappointment on Monday at KH, I think I've had the best out them

Just a shame the A052s don't last anywhere near as long

And expensive! can't be paying that out everytime I need new tyres. Got these ZZR for cheapish and used them before, really really good in the dry and last a while too.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
And expensive! can't be paying that out everytime I need new tyres. Got these ZZR for cheapish and used them before, really really good in the dry and last a while too.
No doubt but there a place up here that does them for less than Cup 2 which was my first choice to replace them with