ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternatives to sky

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’ve had sky for about 10 years, they’ve bummed me on my renewal and won’t offer any deals worth taking so they are getting binned. I just can’t justify £80 a month for TV when pretty much all I watch on sky is sky sports news and the odd bits on sky Atlantic. Everything else is generally on prime or netflix.

What’s the alternative these days? I had a fire stick a few years back with all the dodgy channels but it was awful to use so got rid. Is there anything half decent floating about now?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've just got Netflix, Prime, and torrents. Cancelled my Sky because they wouldn't re-apply an expired discount without renewing an 18 month contract and cancelled my TV license at the same time. Lots of the guys at work had Kodi? on their Firesticks and swore by it, but I couldn't tell you anything from personal experience

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I might as well stick with sky if I take that route. I absolutely can’t stand the user interface on their box

It does. I’ve had better customer service from a barbed wire fence than I did when my Internet was with them

I switched to Virgin last year after at a about a decade with Sky, Sky were taking the absolute poss with their prices so as soon as Virgin installed the cables where we live I went with them. I’d also always been a bit wary of the Virgin interface but after a couple of weeks I had totally got used to it and I think some of the functions are actually better than Sky.

My mega bundle with Virgin costs me £99 a month and that is literally everything they have to offer. I think Sky would have been about £150 for the same package.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Dodgy Firestick, Netflix and Prime

I don't pay for any TV. Only reason I have the other 2 is because the girlfriend has Netflix and I like quick delivery 😂

that could be the way forward. I’ve got Netflix but definitely don’t use someone else’s login and Amazon is cos the wife loves buying s**t and having it delivered within 14 minutes

I've just got Netflix, Prime, and torrents. Cancelled my Sky because they wouldn't re-apply an expired discount without renewing an 18 month contract and cancelled my TV license at the same time. Lots of the guys at work had Kodi? on their Firesticks and swore by it, but I couldn't tell you anything from personal experience

That’s exactly the same as they’ve done to me. The TV and internet was £49. They’ve hiked it to £120 and will now only go back to £80 and it’s on the provision I sign up for 18 months again. They can piss right off.

I’ll have to try kodi and see what it’s like.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
And definitely not Talktalk, that TV box is so slow to respond you need to decide what to watch the evening before.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I switched to Virgin last year after at a about a decade with Sky, Sky were taking the absolute poss with their prices so as soon as Virgin installed the cables where we live I went with them. I’d also always been a bit wary of the Virgin interface but after a couple of weeks I had totally got used to it and I think some of the functions are actually better than Sky.

My mega bundle with Virgin costs me £99 a month and that is literally everything they have to offer. I think Sky would have been about £150 for the same package.

I never thought of the cables. Just checked my post code and can’t get it 🤦‍♂️😂.

The one I’ve used was my father in law’s so he must just have the poverty package. It’s so slow to respond. Having said that, I had sky Q and absolutely hate the interface. I much preferred the old normal one but had no choice but to switch over. If it wasn’t for the voice command on the remote I’d never find anything

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
that could be the way forward. I’ve got Netflix but definitely don’t use someone else’s login and Amazon is cos the wife loves buying s**t and having it delivered within 14 minutes

That’s exactly the same as they’ve done to me. The TV and internet was £49. They’ve hiked it to £120 and will now only go back to £80 and it’s on the provision I sign up for 18 months again. They can piss right off.

I’ll have to try kodi and see what it’s like.
Don't use kodi. It's garbage. If you really want to go down that sort of route, as I said earlier, look into using Plex.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and I forgot I have a Plex server and access to 3 friends Plex boxes too. The lad I work with has 95TB worth of TV and Movies🤣🤣 If the program ain't on there then something has gone seriously pear shaped

Plus with Ombi you can request anything you want and it will autoqueue to download

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Don't use kodi. It's garbage. If you really want to go down that sort of route, as I said earlier, look into using Plex.

Oh and I forgot I have a Plex server and access to 3 friends Plex boxes too. The lad I work with has 95TB worth of TV and Movies🤣🤣 If the program ain't on there then something has gone seriously pear shaped

Plus with Ombi you can request anything you want and it will autoqueue to download

Plex sounds good the . Question is, how does it work? What do I need to have to get access to it on the TV and most importantly can I get sky sports news and live football?

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Plex sounds good the . Question is, how does it work? What do I need to have to get access to it on the TV and most importantly can I get sky sports news and live football?
To be honest, my brother in law arranged it for us. And we then use someone else's server (think we pay a tenner between us). As the Yorkshire lad said, 99 times out of 100, the film/show you search for is there.

Reddit is the place to get info on how it works.

There's no live sport as far as I am aware. Iptv is your friend for that.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I had Sky for about 15 years, last time I had Sky was about 6 years ago. All I use now is Netflix and Amazon Prime. I get the odd Free bundle or very low price from Now TV and I’ve just got 6 Months free for Apple TV . It has been mentioned a few times to get Sky in again but it’s never got any further forward. I’m kinda happy with I have

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Try BT good deals brit call centers and special rates if you become unemployed or sick

Never, ever will I go back to those plums!
They could be giving it away for free & still no. Used to sit down to watch the match in UHD to spend the first half trying to find our what all the random error codes were!

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Never, ever will I go back to those plums!
They could be giving it away for free & still no. Used to sit down to watch the match in UHD to spend the first half trying to find our what all the random error codes were!

agree! Would never go near them again ever!

This renew your Sky with the BF deals ;)

Sky’s cancellation team have been on begging. Back to £60 a month. Told them no deal so let’s see where it goes. They’ve got another 3 weeks…

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
My Sky is up for renewal and want £90 a month now.

With that i get HD,Broadband & Sky Sports,so im looking also for an alternative.

All i want is HD channels,Broadband & SkyF1.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Not be worthwhile just getting IPTV? Or do you want to do it legit?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My Sky is up for renewal and want £90 a month now.

With that i get HD,Broadband & Sky Sports,so im looking also for an alternative.

All i want is HD channels,Broadband & SkyF1.
Freeview box (might be able to use the sky dish + FreeSat ?) and a Now TV sub to the F1 if you really can't be arsed with C4's coverage ?

Assuming the 'net comes down the phoneline, anyone can offer that.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Freeview box (might be able to use the sky dish + FreeSat ?) and a Now TV sub to the F1 if you really can't be arsed with C4's coverage ?

Assuming the 'net comes down the phoneline, anyone can offer that.

My Tv is pretty new so have freeview etc on that,so was looking at record box and now tv is £35 for sports,then look at a broadband provider.

I have to return my sky q box & have read they block it so you cant just use it like the old ones.

Will have a look tonight on options & call sky to see if they can do a better deal or will cancel.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Be brave and cancel it. They’ll offer you a deal on the phone which normally isn’t great. Few days or a week later their retention team will call and offer something better. Mine is £60 for sky q, full package excluding movies, hd stuff, Netflix, phone and super fast fibre broadband

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Be brave and cancel it. They’ll offer you a deal on the phone which normally isn’t great. Few days or a week later their retention team will call and offer something better. Mine is £60 for sky q, full package excluding movies, hd stuff, Netflix, phone and super fast fibre broadband

Yep going to do this today,im sure it runs out this month sometime.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So been having a look about last night.

I can get Vodafone broadband and get a discount as my mobile is with them,also i get Amazon fire stick 4k and echo dot if i do.

Then will do the now tv for the F1.

Anyone have the vodafone broadband,Firestick & Now tv?.

Was thinking use Now tv for 9 months for the F1 then just cancel & start again for next season.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
So been having a look about last night.

I can get Vodafone broadband and get a discount as my mobile is with them,also i get Amazon fire stick 4k and echo dot if i do.

Then will do the now tv for the F1.

Anyone have the vodafone broadband,Firestick & Now tv?.

Was thinking use Now tv for 9 months for the F1 then just cancel & start again for next season.
Don't have that package but Vodafone broadband has less blocks that many others for tv and such 😉