ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator Belt Fitting

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

I have been replacing the alternator belt, tensioner and idler.

I have replaced the tensioner and idler but just cant get the belt over all the pulleys. I have made a tensioner tool which seems to get full movement (spring can touch PAS pump pulley) but theres just not quite enough to force the belt over the last pulley.

What order to people generally fit the belt? Ive tried leaving it to tensioner last, alternator last, AC last but just cant quite finish the job.

Any advice or tricks?

Edit: Car is Clio 172

I also remove the 13mm bolt at the top of the alternator. This allows it to move forward by about an inch. It can be done without doing this but for the 15 seconds it takes I do it.

Lionel Richie
do you take the bumper and slam panel off too Dan? Some people reckon you don't need to i'm still yet to see it done!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Hi Guys,

I have been replacing the alternator belt, tensioner and idler.

I have replaced the tensioner and idler but just cant get the belt over all the pulleys. I have made a tensioner tool which seems to get full movement (spring can touch PAS pump pulley) but theres just not quite enough to force the belt over the last pulley.

What order to people generally fit the belt? Ive tried leaving it to tensioner last, alternator last, AC last but just cant quite finish the job.

Any advice or tricks?

Edit: Car is Clio 172

are you using genuine parts? if not, the belt is likely slightly shorter and/or thicker which makes it hard. Genuine usually falls on if you have the belt properly seated on all the other pulleys

Clio 172
bumper, headlight slam panel etc all off.

all genuine parts, belt 8200226493, same as what came off.

ive been on this since sat mornng so everything is deffo sat right.

should the tensioner spring back and hit the pas pulley?

Clio 172
Ive tried pulling the alternator forward but still not quite got enough.

My tensioner spring bends and hit the pas pump pulley clamping the belt against the pulley and stops you being able to pull the belt through.

Lionel Richie
loosen the E12 torx bolts, you'll never get it on if you've done them up tight, oh and remember the belt goes OVER the lower idler, NOT under it!

Clio 172
got the belt on, had to support the spring as i compressed it to make it not bow towards the pas pump pulley.

Thanks to all that helped :)