ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator

The bearings in the alternator in my 1.2 16v Mk2 Ph3 clio had gone and wer making the car sound like utter s**t because of the whine it make, so off to Renault for a new one.
:headno:£140:headno: i was gob smacked sodding bar stewards robbed me cant believe how expensive it was it's £120 but they add on an extra £20 unless you give your old one back i was like oh thats good of you, thanks! Needless to say i couldn't actually have it then; it would have to be ordered in because having a part in stock would be far too simple! ARGH well thank god for small mercies atleast i don't have to pay some monkey to replace it and break something else, this is a job i can do myself......i think it seems simple enough i've already had the old one off to check it is that; that was causing it.

Any hints or tips form people with regard to replacing the alternator would be much appreciated!

Matt.

Cup'd Monaco 172
I have a whine on my car which I suspect are alternator bearing, how did you diagnose it?

Dont gsf or ecp do cheaper alternators?

basically it makes ur engine sound like it's electric a real whine and as it revs it gets louder. Just take the belt off the alternator and the engine and start it see if the noise goes away thats what i did (you may have to loosen the bolts that hold the alternator in place to release some tension in the belt)

:headno:£140:headno: i was gob smacked sodding bar stewards robbed me cant believe how expensive it was it's £120 but they add on an extra £20 unless you give your old one back i was like oh thats good of you, thanks! Needless to say i couldn't actually have it then; it would have to be ordered in because having a part in stock would be far too simple!

Any hints or tips form people with regard to replacing the alternator would be much appreciated!

Err why keep alternators in stock few people ever buy. The fact its so cheap is because they rebuilt them hnce the £20 surcharge.

You can go elsewhere to get places to rebuilt but then your cars out of action etc.

Changing its easy I'll see if I've a guide.