ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

always where a seat belt

hello all. as above. just wrote off the 172. lost controle at after maxing it in 3rd just changed to 4th. (work out the speed), right into a wall. think i hit the curb and lost it. dont have a clue how i am still here. one lucky bastered. the air bag pinned me to my seat. managed to kick glass out of window and climb out. had a look at car, never seen nothing like it. worst wright off i have ever seen. only got one burn/ graze on my arm?????? insurance said they give me private sale value for it. which is good. but i have 500 ex to pay. if i never had my belt on i wouldnt be here now!!!!! always where one.

one lucky bastered.

Volvo S60 D5

Sorry to hear that mate, least youre still here to tell the tale though. Nice to know the Clio is a safe car.

I always wear my seatbelt, its an automatic reaction whether Im going 1/2 a mile or 500 miles.

Clio1400

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

agree with you ya lucky sod , although the seat belt would have done sh*t for any peds on the street . Extend the message to always keep control too.

yeah unlucky ma8, as above its an automatic reaction when ever i get in the car, in my personal opinion anyone who doesnt wear a seatbelt is a f**king idiot!!

Revels Mum & Sister

At the top of 3rd gear in a 172 something tells me that he wasnt on a road where Mopeds are. But glad your Ok mate

Good job u were wearing a seat belt. First thing I do after I have started the car! Been in a few crashes (none my fault) and has saved me!

gutted about the car. loved it. no way i am gonna get insured on another. bit of advise for peeps. whenever that addrenaline thing kicks in try and refuse the temptation.

people sl*g off the clio. but you have to belive me. it is a strong, v v v v ery safe car in a smash...

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

yep seen my mate roll 1 in a field,nose over tail 3 times(doin silly speeds) and all 3 occupants walked away and the worst injury was the speaker in the parcel shelf hit 1 lad on the back of the head!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

When was this?

Any pics, not in a morbid kind of way, but Id like to see for my piece of mind what an 80mph smash does to a 172.

sorry mate didnt even think of pics. i will try and get some, they are taking it to a garrage neer me. trust me it was bad. worst i have ever seen without the fire men having a go. front, back, both sides totaly smashed in.

if anyone speaks to geordypaul. tell him i am sorry. only baught it off him 2 mth ago.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Jeez mate,

didnt realise it was only 2hrs ago?!?

You ok, not in delayed shock or anything?

The graze/burn is from the airbag, prolly on the inside of your arms Im guessing.

Also youll prolly end up with bruising on your right shoulder from the seatbelt.

I stuck a 9month old Nissan Almera into a tree lined ditch so had a similar experience, although not quite at those speeds.

The aches come tomorrow, once the adrenaline stops flowing.

Hope everything pans out ok for you.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The burns are classic airbag after effects.

Its how the police can see if someone was driving etc, ie if the passengers pretend they were driving. Someone holding the wheel will have airbag burns on the insides of the wrists becuase of the airbag going off etc.

Soo sorry to hear that m8!
Thank god you are ok.

I always put my seatbelt on, may seem weird but the thing that makes me put it on is the light it in the centre console, it would drive me crazy seeing that out of the corner of my eye!

Makes you think the value of a car which isnt made of tin foil doesnt it.

The Clio is excellent it may deform like mad but so long as the passengers get out ok who cares.

My parents recon that a safer car is one that looks like a car after a crash ie an old VW golf is safer than a Clio cos after a crash it still looks like a car unlike mine which didnt look as well.

You should be able to insure a fast car again it should cost about the same as your last yrs premiums (as long as this is your first crash)

EDD

Sorry to here this mate.

I rolled my first 172 about 2 years ago now,lost the back end on lift off o/steer on a off camber bend in 3rd at about 70mph,steered into it and accelerated caught it but then went the other way as id corrected it too much,steered into it again and hit the gas,it came back but went right round this time backwards up a verge,dont know the speed at this point wasnt really looking at the speedo,into the air end over end 2 times,down on the passengers side and over onto the roof and back onto the road and slid up the road about 50 yards.

Now i wasnt wearing a seatbelt,the roof at my side was all crushed in,if i had been wearing my belt i would probabley have a very short neck right now lying in a graveyard,cause id have been pinned to the seat and crushed.I dont know why i hadnt put it on as i usually do must have been fate.All i had was a couple of carpet burns on my forehead as i rolled about the roof lining,and a few small scratches from the glass.

Ive got pics,that ill scan in tommorrow,ill email someone them and they can put them up as i cant work the uploader.

I walked away from a 70mph head on smash!!!, the seat belt almost cut through to my ribs but it saved my life!

quick story ; the dad of a friend of mine had a crash on a motorbike while not wearing a helmet, he now has a metal plate in his head... he said he was only going a short distance and didnt deem it necessary! this distance was about 4 miles!!!!!! moral of the story: even going around the corner there could be an artic truck heading your way!!!

p.s. that annoying beep is maddening enough to force anyone to put their belts on!!!

Ph1

My mate had a side on with a 5 series on a duel carriageway.....Clio flipped over twice and my mate and his friend walked away unhurt.......only long term damage was the friend turned into a gay!!!

BMW 328 Ci

I have seen this video posted on lots of forums as a reason to wear seatbelts. I was too scared to watch it though. I did just now, quite nasty as neither were waring seatbelts.
The woman walks away, the man was no killed, though knocked out in the video. They were driving in the bit between rally stages.
The name explains all, Audi vs Bus.
Watch at your own discretion.

http://home.arcor.de/nracer/Videos/Achtung_Bad-Crash/DuEnMovie_AUDI_vs_BUSZ.wmv color=#ffb903 http://home.arcor.de/nracer/Videos/Achtung_Bad-Crash/DuEnMovie_AUDI_vs_BUSZ.wmv

i have just realised. can i take the autochanger, and anything else that might be ok off my car, without the insurance being void. anyone else done anything simalar?

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 22 January 2004

I walked away from a 70mph head on smash!!!, the seat belt almost cut through to my ribs but it saved my life!

quick story ; the dad of a friend of mine had a crash on a motorbike while not wearing a helmet, he now has a metal plate in his head... he said he was only going a short distance and didnt deem it necessary! this distance was about 4 miles!!!!!! moral of the story: even going around the corner there could be an artic truck heading your way!!!

p.s. that annoying beep is maddening enough to force anyone to put their belts on!!!

FFS you were well lucky. I thought most 60mph crashes end up in death, so a head on.... Someone is looking after you, glad youre all ok.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 22 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 22 January 2004

FFS you were well lucky. I thought most 60mph crashes end up in death, so a head on.... Someone is looking after you, glad youre all ok.
Renault + some air bags by the sounds of it..

Willy2

when i had my smash in my willy1 i though iwould have died, i walked out and my legs were like jelly, i always wear my seatbelt i feel naked without it!

I see people in London everyday without their belts on, why? i believe that they are there to be worn. If you dont wear it you are a fool!

Rant over!

I belive they should give points for people who dont wear their belts.my own opinion.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 22 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 22 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by admob on 22 January 2004 I walked away from a 70mph head on smash!!!, the seat belt almost cut through to my ribs but it saved my life!

p.s. that annoying beep is maddening enough to force anyone to put their belts on!!!  FFS you were well lucky.  I thought most 60mph crashes end up in death, so a head on....  Someone is looking after you, glad youre all ok.
[/QUOTE]Renault + some air bags by the sounds of it..

i better expand, it was in my pre-reno days, 1991 in an old austin montego, going down a fast stright country lane, slightly rainy, round a sweping bend to see a JCB with its bucket masking its light going 15 mph, I swerved and hit an on coming old allegro which shot in the air ending upside down in a ditch, no air bags or any thing, just god doing his bit!! No fatalities, but the other driver and passenger were pretty badly hurt!!!

SEATBELTS RULE!!!!!!!