ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I mad? (Trophy purchase?)

Fiesta ST200
I need to save for a holiday next year and moving out the year after that. I'm thinking of selling my Focus RS and buying a Trophy.

Always wanted one.

But its not the saving money thats the reason for this thread. It's that I actively want a Trophy. Is it weird that i want this 'downgrade'?

Are they all they are hyped up to be? Would I be disappointed?

Opinions/thoughts please :)

Fiesta ST200
Mk2 mate. Its not the holiday, I just want to free up more money. But the holiday is vegas :)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I just look at trophies as equal to normal 182's. which is that there great cars to thrash round a B road. But I found the trophy gets a tad jumpy when pushed hard as the normal (cup model) soaks up more of the bumps and the rear seems more willing to play.
Seats are a nice upgrade though.

It will feel crushingly slow but only you know if you can deal with that. It'll also feel a lot lighter, nimbler, and cheaper.

Is your RS standard or tuned?

RS6 C7
It is a downgrade but not exactly a bad one!

They are epic little cars that put a smile on your face, I just need to get mine insured again in the next week or so. I'm like a big kid!

RenaultSport 182FF
I need to save for a holiday next year and moving out the year after that. I'm thinking of selling my Focus RS and buying a Trophy.

Always wanted one.

But its not the saving money thats the reason for this thread. It's that I actively want a Trophy. Is it weird that i want this 'downgrade'?

Are they all they are hyped up to be? Would I be disappointed?

Opinions/thoughts please :)

Brilliant car and epic fun :) But why of all places would you ask "would I be disappointed"..... on a clio sport forum? :D

Ask the same question on Focus RS OC ;)

After driving both and being in both i personally think youd be very disappointed ! Clio tropys are absolutely awesome , but the focus is awesome too ! if you need to down grade then yeah trophys a good car , but out of choice, the focus does it alot better IMO . many will disagree but only you can decide ! think youll miss 300 horses on tap though ! 180 isnt the same ! it just isnt ! lol

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Just do it. Your going to have just as much fun, just not the straight line speed.

Fiesta ST200
It will feel crushingly slow but only you know if you can deal with that. It'll also feel a lot lighter, nimbler, and cheaper.

Is your RS standard or tuned?

I guess I can deal with that. Power isn't everything to me :) although the RS is savage and I effing love it. Different induction and exhaust system mate, standard mapping. I've driven an mp350 though :)

Fiesta ST200
Buy a Mk1 Frs to soften the blow.

Always wanted a trophy though, Gally!

I can deal with little power and a lot of revs, just means a lot of fun :) the MPG's will be dramatically better in the trophy for the work commute too!

Track days will still be good fun which is the main thing!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I would not go back as I had a trophy for 3 yrs when they first came out.
Sold it at 17K after three hard years & many, many trackdays ;)
So getting in a tired tatty one would ruin my memories :D

Fiesta ST200
I would not go back as I had a trophy for 3 yrs when they first came out.
Sold it at 17K after three hard years & many, many trackdays ;)
So getting in a tired tatty one would ruin my memories :D

And they endure track days well I expect?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Always wanted a trophy though, Gally!

I can deal with little power and a lot of revs, just means a lot of fun :) the MPG's will be dramatically better in the trophy for the work commute too!

Track days will still be good fun which is the main thing!

Excellent mate. Buy one. They're superb little cars. I don't think you'll be disappointed as such.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
And they endure track days well I expect?

Lets just say I was glad it had 3 yr warranty.
Had a new box at 5K, engine mounts & lots lots more replaced.
Never worried as never got refused warranty claim ;)

What used to make me laugh was attending events with other Trophy owners & them telling about their pride & joy & how they were never going on track.
They did not realise previous owner was living on track :dapprove:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
What would the difference be money wise by selling the rs, then buying a trophy, then Vegas?

How much change would you have once the hols is over and the rs is gone but the trophy still remains?

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
What used to make me laugh was attending events with other Trophy owners & them telling about their pride & joy & how they were never going on track.
They did not realise previous owner was living on track :dapprove:

Hang on a second you were one of those Trophy owners, I remember you banging on about the little chip in the paint the top corner of the door makes and getting really irritated at punters who got a little TOO close at WSR one year.:lolup:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Hang on a second you were one of those Trophy owners, I remember you banging on about the little chip in the paint the top corner of the door makes and getting really irritated at punters who got a little TOO close at WSR one year.:lolup:

As you also may remember most of the Trophy's @ that event had the same fault ;)

Build quality not trackday abuse.

You can talk! You never used to get yours out of second gear :D

Do you remember the Trophy culling day at Cadwell 3 got badly bent!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Not at all, they're great cars. I want another.

Fiesta ST200
What would the difference be money wise by selling the rs, then buying a trophy, then Vegas?

How much change would you have once the hols is over and the rs is gone but the trophy still remains?

It's the running costs thereafter mate :) I love my rs to bits but it isn't cheap to run in the slightest. Not complaining, just saying :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Get rid of the Focus RS get the Trophy and having a f**king good time in Vegas IMO mate YOLO ;)

Can buy another Focus RS in the future. The Trophy will still bring plenty of grins no doubt.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Alex, what lux model, what plate and what mileage is yours buddy?

The FRS isn't that bad to run if you drive it calmly as a daily, I was surprised at what fuel return I got from mine, but on the other hand I am lucky that I don't need to use mine that often, in fact I don't think I've driven it for about 2 months.