ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMD vs INTEL (dual core)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
As i have previously discussed i have been asking for help in making a rig up for approx £400 - £450. Everything is needed apart from keyboard, mouse and monitor.

The orginal spec i was given by a kind member on here came slightly over budget once cd rom added etc. This spec came with a dual core intel :

pcrig.gif

I see dual core AMD seem quite cheap in comparison:

AMD

INTEL

Are the intel chipsets significantly better?

This is going to be my first build os i doubt i will be doing any overclocking etc. Just want a decent budget rig for general surfing and bit of game playing too.

Is my budget too low for a dual core rig? or should i be going to a single processor to save cost?

Are dual core that much better than a single processor?

Please advise a total noob. :)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
well I built my first dual-core system at the weekend and multi-tasking with it is awesome, I can do several things at once without making any effect to the performance. Unfortunately I don't know how much of that is down to the dual-core and how much the 1066MHz memory or top end graphics card are doing. All the reviews say the Intel chips are better.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i was just considering my options since i had come slightly over budget you see.

cheers for the links, i'll have a read :)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
for a value rig it seems AMD does seem the best option...

Revels Mum & Sister
Value yes, but we arent talking a lot extra Seb, stop being a skin flint. The Intel is a better performing system. Having owned an Intel for a while, and we also build both Intel and AMD at work.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Budget - AMD

Extra bit of cash - Intel

I've had quite a few Intels and then switched to AMD a good number of years back with and AMD600 system.

On paper, Intel currently wins, but it's all so arbitrary. You're talking about high resolutions, x16 AA etc, when lets face it, most games are run in 1280x1024 these days anyway.

If you want it for the occasional gaming sesh, but mainly for internet browsing - then I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the Intel kit. Why would you want to?

D.

It doesn't seem much between the performance of both Intel and AMD's dual cores imho, my next perchase will a QUAD CORE, Intel or AMD (if they have one out in the next 6 months?) :)

Simon

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It will be interesting to see what types of games on the PC actually start to use quad-core. Even dual-core is wasted on 95% of stuff out there at the moment.

D.

budget cpu has to be the e4300, fair enough it doesnt support the faster bus speeds and is only 2mb cache but reading reviews when o/c (which is very easy to do) it is enough to challenge the higher models and will blow most amd's. Its also under £100 with VAT

The main difference between AMD and comparative Intel's is the price.

Go with AMD. If you went to a computer fair you'd find very few stalls selling Intels and the ones that do won't have a big range. There's a reason for that.

Fiesta ST

Go with AMD. If you went to a computer fair you'd find very few stalls selling Intels and the ones that do won't have a big range. There's a reason for that.

Because they sold them all ;)

Revels Mum & Sister

LOL thats not true at all

I have ALLWAYS used AMD, as they have price per pound ruled the roost. But now IMO and loads of others the Intels to me are better.

I would still pay the few extra quid and go Intel but thats isnt saying the AMD is bad its far from it

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'm still unsure tbh, well i have a bit of time to decide.

Lee

BMW M2C

LOL thats not true at all

I have ALLWAYS used AMD, as they have price per pound ruled the roost. But now IMO and loads of others the Intels to me are better.

I would still pay the few extra quid and go Intel but thats isnt saying the AMD is bad its far from it

Same here. We've used AMDs for the last few years but have recently made the swap back to Intel. The Core 2 Duo/Quad are fantastic chips. I've just had 4 quad core ones delivered. At present nothing can take full advantage of them so the Core 2 duo extreme editions are still the fastest PCs in the office.

At the moment I'd go Intel Seb. Even the lower models in the range offer amazing performance for your money.

my next perchase will a QUAD CORE, Intel or AMD (if they have one out in the next 6 months?

Simon

They are out now. Intel Core 2 Quadro Extreme Edition QX6700

Yeah I know they are out now, but I won't pay £600 for a chip :(

in 6 months the price will plumet, as all chips do, then that will be my next upgrade :)

for now my 5200+ dual core will have to do....lol ;)

Simon

Lee

BMW M2C
They are out now. Intel Core 2 Quadro Extreme Edition QX6700

in 6 months the price will plumet, as all chips do, then that will be my next upgrade :)

Simon

The next price drop is next month according to my supplier. He asked if I could wait until then, but couldn't. The quad core chips are still cheaper than when I bought the first X6800 Extreme edition for here. That's still the fastest chip in the office too.

If I get a moment I'll benchmark one of the quad core machines and see how it gets on.

They've got 3gb of RAM and nvidia 8800GTX in them too. Pretty speedy machines.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
price drop just for quad core or across chip range? (i'm a skinflint ;))

Lee

BMW M2C
price drop just for quad core or across chip range? (i'm a skinflint ;))

He was refering to the X6800 Extreme Edition, but I expect they'll drop the entire range. Either way they are all very impressive CPUs.

D

dick

ye ive always been an amd fan, nt normally much in it.

but nw, the intes have it.

always loved AMD chips since the days of the K6-2 chips.. a few people here in the office are the same but have all now gone and got the intel chips. naely the E6600 for its 4mb L2 cache againt the lower ones with 2mb L2.

the lower intel core 2 duo will still be better for the money

Simon

The next price drop is next month according to my supplier. He asked if I could wait until then, but couldn't. The quad core chips are still cheaper than when I bought the first X6800 Extreme edition for here. That's still the fastest chip in the office too.

If I get a moment I'll benchmark one of the quad core machines and see how it gets on.

They've got 3gb of RAM and nvidia 8800GTX in them too. Pretty speedy machines.

I will keep an eye on the Quads then, as I have a 8800GTX but only 2gb of ram, and was thinking a quad and another 8800GTX for SLI at some later this year :)

Simon

Lee

BMW M2C
We used to SLI all our video cars here, but since everyone has started running dual monitors we've had to remove the second card as it's just redundant otherwise. If I get chance I might try and sneak a second 880GTX in just to see how fast it can go.

That would be a mighty fine gaming rig.

We used to SLI all our video cars here, but since everyone has started running dual monitors we've had to remove the second card as it's just redundant otherwise. If I get chance I might try and sneak a second 880GTX in just to see how fast it can go.

Would like to see some benchies on that if you do :)

Simon

Revels Mum & Sister
Seb

The top one is a Pentium D, the bottom is a LGA775 the bottom one is the one you want fella.

ive got that cpu for sale right now

550 quid and its urs. retail boxed still sealed and everything

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Seb

The top one is a Pentium D, the bottom is a LGA775 the bottom one is the one you want fella.

Griff told me the old one was 'old' technology. hence el cheapo. but what makes it worse compared to the new one?

I am actually leaning towards AMD, as i currently run an AMD thuderbird... lol she keeps processing away! ;)

I love this geek talk :)

Lee

BMW M2C

Would like to see some benchies on that if you do :)

Simon

I managed a couple for comparison.

System 1:
Asus Commando Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800
2gb Corsair PC8500 Domintor RAM
8800 GTX

3DMark 2005: 16695
3DMark 2006: 10692

System 2:
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700
3gb Corsair Twin X PC 6400 LL
8800GTX

3DMark 2005: 14922
3DMark 2006: 11539

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
my motherboard supports quad-core, I'm planning on buying a quad-core when the price drops and maybe a second 8800GTX.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As I've said before - it would be great for developers to not only support quad-core, but quad SLi-too. Imagine having dual monitor support thrown in too - say BF2142 with the squad/commander screen open on the right and your on-foot/FPS view to the left. Proper multi-tasking.... :cool:

The potential there would be amazing. Definitely WAAAAY beyond the capabilities of good 'ol Windows XP though! :)

D.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm very un-impressed with the lack of better Dual-Monitor support/features in Vista, get with the program MS! loads of people are doing dual monitors these days. Its annoying when scrolling the screen on C&C3 because when you go to the right it doesn't do it because of the second monitor, only up down and left, I have to use the cursors to move right.