ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

An encounter with a Jaguar XJ6

Nissan 350Z
Just had a little encounter on a dual carriageway (one with several roundabouts breaking it up) and had a Jag XJ6 with a young bloke behind me, obviously looking to try and get me to put my foot down... so oblidged.

Now, I dont know what size engine it had, but it was a big car and I was expecting to get my ass handed to me on a plate. So I put my foot down and pulled a few car lengths on it up to the ton.

Next roundabout, same again, dont pull quite as much distance this time, he's right behind me, so I pull over into the left lane, and he either bottles it or he had the slipstream effect from being behind, because when I pull over, I slowly start pulling away... but I have a car in front so have to lift off and let him go by.

Next roundabout, he puts his foot down, as do I, and if anything I seem to be gaining (AGAIN!). On this stretch theres a couple of sharpish bends and the car does not look comfortable at all going around corners. It was easy to keep up.

Anyone know the specs of those things? I fully expected to lose and was surprised ... like I say i dont know what engine it had, but it had twin exhaust pipes.

There are a few different engines on those......the top being a 4.0 v8 supercharged. The others are 3.0, 3.6 etc, but they are a heavy car. The only one worth worrying about is the supercharged v8 job

Clio Dynamique 1.6 16v
3.0 V6 Sovereign hits 60 in 7.8.
3.5 V8 hits 60 in about 7.3.
4.2 Supercharged hits 60 in 5 seconds.

Just found those specs off wisebuyers guide. Doubt it was a 4.2 you had, could of been the other two thought, there is a 2.7 diesel aswell, but I imagine that is slower than the petrols.

Leon Cupra R 225
interesting indeed mate! think if it was supercharged the gap would have been mucho bigger Ive heard its rapid rapid

Nissan 350Z
Well it does seem extremely unlikely it was a 4.2. I guess it could have been either of the others.

It really wasnt very good on the corners though.

This is perhaps my favourite thing about driving the Clio - a lot of people just dont seem to realise how nippy they are. Its quite amusing to keep up with such a big engined car like that in a little shopping trolley.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
This might sound really stupid, but if you were racing an XJ6 then it was a 6 pot engine, so the 3 litre and some other sizes maybe?

The XJS was the 4.2 V8 and XJR the supercharged version.

So if it was an XJ6 it was not a V8 :)