ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annoying ABS

ph1 172
The ABS on my ph1 172 is p***ing me off.
I've got ds2500 pads in the front.

Once they are warmed up i can stand on the brakes and get a nice squeal out of all 4 tyres and a bit of ABS. The stopping power is amazing. And i get roughly the same in the wet, just a bit more ABS and less stoppy.

But on uneven ground sometimes the ABS goes mental and the brakes pretty much dont work. The pedal feels like when you brake on snow and a couple of scary times ive felt like reaching for the handbrake! Its a good couple of seconds of low speed movement.

To me it just feels like Clio ABS unit isn't advanced enough to work out what is going on. Maybe i should just slow down.

Peddled device
My brother has told me about this on his 1.2.If he brakes over rough ground the car seems to just skip over the surface as if the brakes don't work.I need to have a go in his car to check it out but he's had a few garages check it and they say theres nothing wrong.

Very strange....

Peddled device
Same as his.

He also drives it as if he's stolen it though...would never let him have a go of my Cup ;)

ph1 172
when it happens in the central area of a dual carriageway and your trying to stop yourself from rolling out into traffic, the last thing youre thinking of doing is lifting off the brake!
But yes, pushing harder has no effect so what would i have to lose...

172 Race Car
But if you didnt have it you would skid, therfore having no control over the steering. thats the whole pint of it. the reason it wont sow down any quicker is because that is a fast as the laws of pysics will slow it to stop.

A locked wheel will not slow you down as quick as one that is still rotating just before the poit of locking.

Do you have worn/budget tyres on?

ph1 172
I've got good PremiumContact 2's all round.
Maybe I've just become too reliant on the ABS to control the grip under braking

Peddled device
I'm guessing it's his driving speed and lack of reading the road conditions that are putting him on the brink of a big moment ! He drives the work's van as if he's Marko Alen !

ph1 172
I'll just slow down a bit.
The only reason ive mentioned it is because at these points i feel like i could stop quicker without the ABS

172 Race Car
Pull the fuse out an try

(please note if the op goes out and trys this I am in no way responsable for the results, thankyouplease)

Abs ring went on mine. Sounded like same problem. VERY annoying and dangerous.

Had to get a new drive shaft just the other week.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I had the ABS come on today and it felt like it should have stopped quicker, but of course there's no way it could stop slower than locking the brakes (unless gravel, snow etc but it wasn't). It might feel slower but its probably the quickest way for all but the most advanced drivers.

Don't pull the ABS fuse out! It messes with the braking balance or something, there's a video on you tube showing the results and a couple of threads on here.

172 Race Car
Don't pull the ABS fuse out! It messes with the braking balance or something, there's a video on you tube showing the results and a couple of threads on here.

My video?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlH2QJc4NT8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlH2QJc4NT8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]