ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annoying clonking/rattling with 172 ktec stealth exhaust

Only really seems to happen in the first few gears with hard acceleration. It manifested itself first by only happening when the wheels were spinning but has gradually turned into whenever there is hard acceleration.

Its held by the supplied D clamps I think there are 2 or 3 in total and ive shpok the exhaust but doesnt seem to do it when stationary.

Any ideas where I should be looking? It seems to be coming from the right of the engine bay but cant see any problems.

I was thinking that was possible as the car doesnt feel very happy if say I accelerate and immediately back off the throttle.

I was planning to replace this in the future anyway but it wont just snap and fall off will it?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
No, it's just the rubber bushes perish a little and get too soft to absorb the movement.

Either replace with Powerflex bushes or standard for oem comfort.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Replace all the engine mounts including the dog bone.

As above, standard for a road car or uprated for fast road/track.

Powerflex/Evol do the dog bone and vibratechnics/ktec do the engine mounts.

I made sure I got new exhaust rubbers when I bought it all of a few weeks ago and this is it frok the rear

20150106_155835_zpsea9f8c0a.jpg

I swear the standard system sat much higher up than this one.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Mine sits like that also. I think it might be possible to bend the hanger on/around the backbox to raise it a little. I have tweaked mine, but its still a little low.
I've just sprayed mine with matt black VHT paint, hides it a little better

The whole system is pretty low imo it doesnt even fit in the exhaust tunnel like (I assume) the standard system does.

That said it must give a small amount of extra power as the car holds its own against 182's.

172 Cup
The whole system is pretty low imo it doesnt even fit in the exhaust tunnel like (I assume) the standard system does.

That said it must give a small amount of extra power as the car holds its own against 182's.
I've got a ktec stealth and it is totally hidden by the bumper when it's fitted you need to make sure the exhaust is held up as high as it will go before any of the clamps are tightened and it should stay up in the exhaust tunnel out of sight

The funny thing is I was sure it was higher up when the garage fitted it then I got a local garage to my camp twist the clamps around so they wernt so low to the ground that said the noise started before then? Have you got any pics of the underneath of your car? I knew I should have fitted it myself!

PH2 172
You may be right.
Just found this picture of when it was first fitted...looks higher than it is now..

20141204_005233_zps4623bece.jpg
Even that looks low to me.Is this the current mk2 system bought new?
Check the 8mm bolt securing the centre hanger to the chassis is fully done up.Replace the rear hanger with a competion one,or fill a good standard one with tiger glue.
Loosen all clamps off and rotate the centre section till the rear of it is central in the tunnel and at its highest,then tighten so it cannot move.
Rotate the back box till the outlet points straight at the ground,and work the connecting pipe down the centre pipe till it all sits level at its highest.Adjustment of rear clamp/hanger will be required so that there is no preload on the system.Tighten everything up with the clamps angled to give maximum clearance.
Ktech systems used to have 5mm bolt and washer forward of the rear hanger to stop the spigot slipping out.Is the spigot still threaded for this?
Change engine/box mounts as previously advised.Good luck.

PH2 172
Yes its a brand new system from ktec. I bought new (I assume standard) rubber mounts for it too at the same time. I will try and follow your guide or if I dont get time take some pics of it as its stands. I've also just bought these off amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AZO90S/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Well done,OE top box mount(about £13) and RH top mount(about £70) will be fine,although Kam racing stock Vibra-tech if you really want them.Good night.

PB172,dci100,dci65
You might consider replacing the clamps using 67mm from Iveco Daily. Looks much better and is more solid.