ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio V6 question....

German Barge
Right... i have booked myself a hotel near this V6 im going to see on saturday.. as its a long drive :)

My question is - How reliable are the mk1 v6's - any horror stories!? just don't want another engine rebuild like my clio, or any other major bills!!

One im looking at is an 02, on 11,000 miles!

Let me know if there is anything i should look out for, and make sure i do during ownership, as its a big step up in my books!

Thanks, Chris.

Renault Laguna Coupe
I don't have a Mk1 but the major things are the same. Check the brake pads - big bucks if they're shot, even bigger bucks if you need discs too. Tyres cost a bomb, so budget another £700 if they're worn.

Give the clutch a good few presses with the engine off. If you can hear a creaking noise the master cylinder could be getting a bit tired.

Also worth having a really good look at the exhaust. Mk1s came with a mild steel effort that can rot (Mk2s have stainless steel). Once again, if it's going it costs a lot to replace.

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,
It's a high compression Laguna/Espace engine thats relatively low revving so as long as it's been serviced it'll be fine - not that thats done enough miles to need one!!

The weak links are the exhaust rear box and tyre wear as above, one you can do little about other than go stainless the other is up to you!

Coil packs are also a regular failure on Renaults but are warrantied

Have now covered 58.5k with very few problems.

All coils replaced and computer red out replaced twice.

Front tyres 25k rear tyres 12.5K now running on Toyos which are far quieter.

Two fog lights broken.

Rear silencer still O.K.

Always been serviced on time and used Total oil.

No top ups between services.

German Barge
Ok... few more questions

Which oil is best to use?

What sort of money you spending on tyres?

what sort of money you spending on pads and discs?

Evo MR FQ300 & Clio V6
My Mk1 has covered exactly the same around 12k miles and it's an 02. Two problems - first is with the trip computer, Various functions flashing - common problem but I wasnt to botherd as the car drives superb. Seems they all go but I am not sure what they cost to replace or even if theres a quick fix (might be some component burned out). My exhaust was in great condition and would last a good few more years - but I have a Ktec on now. 2nd problem - with the reverse lights! - Mine didnt work and a new switch didnt solve the problem. Renault said the gearbox would need to come out etc. as the plunger was slightly offline (No problems with gear selection etc. so I have wired up a switch).

Apart from those little problems and the ones mentioned in previous posts it feels really solid. Engine never sounds like it's under any strain just remember to heat it up and cool it down.

One thing is handling in the damp. I have been caught out twice now with the rear coming out and nearly lossing it. Mixture of my first RWD car and maybe the Gippo tyres on the year.

Si

Clio RS 172 Ph2
Mine's on 48,000 miles. I've had her since 36k. Problems before I owned were few (as far as I know) though it had had at least 1 coil replaced.

Since I had it, I had another coil go, so had them all replaced at the same time, and I had a horror with disintegrating cats, but managed to find cheap replacements (SG Motorsport) and all sorted now, but even at cheap prices, that was still over £1400.

My rear tyres have done 15k and are half-worn, still plenty of tread. The original steering wheel had worn badly when I bought it, replaced it with a new one, and after 12,000 miles, it's looking worn again!

It uses a bit of oil - needs topping up every 1000 miles or so, but runs relatively cheap semi-synthetic so isn't that costly to do.

If the dash plays up, there's a simple diy reset you can do on it. See my other recent posts for details - seems to work for most dash-related issues!

I seem to remember Trip Computer about £325 + fitting.

My work carried out under warranty. (twice)

Have had EBC pads since 48K, no problems with them.

Tyres about £125 each, depens on this weeks best buy, just phone around.

clio v6
tyres on rear lasted about 7k...put nangkangs on...65 quid each and are superb!!
fronts did 25k...put kumho's on..adequate!! 35 quid each.
rear box from renault only 90 quid...so don't panic there!!!
still on same coils....new plugs put in tho... 10 w 40 fully synthetic oil changed every 10k...don't use a drop.
loved every minute of ownership...
oh.... alarm...couple of probs with that...

German Barge
ahh nother mechanical then as such... mainly electrical and general wear and tear... thats good i can live with that!

Evo MR FQ300 & Clio V6
Not wanting to high Jack this thread but my warranty is up for renewal - Also worth checking if the car has! Has anyone renewed theres outwith Renault and are happy with the service?? Had a warranty on my other car and it was worthless!!

You can extend the existing Warranty with Renault. As far as I can see exactly the same as the one I have at the present.

RenaultSport Clio V6
This might sound a bit daft, but I have a Mk2 V6 and want to check the oil level. However, try as I might, I can't seem to locate the dip stick!!!! Answers on a postcard, please!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
gordonp said:
This might sound a bit daft, but I have a Mk2 V6 and want to check the oil level. However, try as I might, I can't seem to locate the dip stick!!!! Answers on a postcard, please!

Take your covers off ... and then it's at the front of the engine so if you lean over from the front seats you should be able to see it. Think the handle on it is purple if I recall correctly. Be careful when you pull it out tho' since you don't want to get oil on the headlining ;)

Clio RS 172 Ph2
You don't actually need to check the dipstick, as if you press the ADAC button after you've started the engine, it will show you in 0's and -'s how much oil you have!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
BigChris said:
137699 - does this come on both the mk1 and the mk2?

Actually reckon it's different between the two models. On Mk1 (like my Mk1 172) you press the ADAC button (aka the one on the end of the stalk) when it says OIL OK. On Mk2 you press the trip reset button by the dials when it says OIL OK.

Had me going for a while when I first got my Vee since I couldn't get it to show the oil level. A case of "RTFM much more closely and stop assuming it's the same as before".

Last edited:
  V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
telford_mike said:
Give the clutch a good few presses with the engine off. If you can hear a creaking noise the master cylinder could be getting a bit tired.
QUOTE]

Mine does have this noise sometimes. Anything I can do? is there any fluid I can change to help it out a bit?

Thanks