ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 'Is it a write off' thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows the piss taking that goes on so why are they surprised when they post on here and get flamed.............

Sorry to hear about your car but your not gonna get helpful comments on here from everyone so why are people getting upset?

:(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Guted to hear about your accident, at least your ok though :)

The one thing that nerves me about the Clio is the abs, which probably didn't help your accident

Ok, so everyone says that 172 cups kill hundreds of people every winter because they DONT have ABS.

But now you're saying that 182's can also kill you because they DO have ABS.

CS confuses me at the best of the times. But seriously. WTF.

GW RS200
Serious bad times - feel awful for you. Just remember the pain will ease when there is a repair or new car on the horizon :)

Lupo GTI
Gutted to read this about the motor. :( and gutted for you mate.

Chin up mate though, as Dave said at least your safe which is the main thing; could of been worse and alot nastier in other circumstances.

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Obviously Im not your insurance company but from the list of damage in your initial thread id bet my house that this is a write off. Believe it or not my parents drove around in a 172 (53plate) up until earlier this year. They had it from new and it wanted for nothing. I got a call one sunday and they had been involved in an RTA some uninsured guy in a white van had pulled out of a junction into them.The damage to me looked very light. cracked bumper, one xenon out, a few scratches etc

The insurance company wrote the fucker off, couldnt believe it, they said it had twisted the frame and would cost a fortune to repair....load of b****cks really as it was an easy job to sort....it was apparently crushed, only for some young un up north to buy it a few month later without being told it was a write off

Insurance companys are c***s

Gutted for you tbh pal

JB

RB 182 Cup
If the car means that much to you then rebuild it. I think if I had your car from new I would. Lovely colour!

Take some time (if it isn't your daily runner) and source the parts cheap, do as much work on them as possible (sanding paint down, priming it etc) so when you take it to a bodyshop they will charge you less labour & materials and then fit the parts yourself.

Yea the re-sell value will plummet but at least then you can still enjoy the car!

doesn't sound like a write off to me. In fact, sounds like exactly the same damage as mine and I'm now driving around a MINT inferno 182 courtesy of the insurance repair.

This damage = £2400 to fix including new radiators and lights (bumper was left at the scene, was in 10 pieces). Not even a CAT D... nobody is any wiser :D

similar to this?
IMG_0800.jpg

chin up dude... think forward 6 weeks, all will be sorted one way or another without a worry in the world. Life goes on :D

Dan.

Titanium 182
Shame when this happens to any car, but one that you've had from the get go AND paid extra to get in a certain colour. I hope it's not a total loss, and I hope it sorts out for you :)

Mental 172 Cup
ouch! :( gutted for you mate! as long as there is not structural damage maybe weigh up the costs of doing it yourself :) might work out best for you in the long run! if you find anyone who sprays LY perfectly to match the rest of the car then let me know i need a few things doing :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
doesn't sound like a write off to me. In fact, sounds like exactly the same damage as mine and I'm now driving around a MINT inferno 182 courtesy of the insurance repair.

This damage = £2400 to fix including new radiators and lights (bumper was left at the scene, was in 10 pieces). Not even a CAT D... nobody is any wiser :D

similar to this?
IMG_0800.jpg

chin up dude... think forward 6 weeks, all will be sorted one way or another without a worry in the world. Life goes on :D

Dan.

damage appears to be similar, but it has bent that lower cross panel a little, pushing the brace for the bonnet catch back and into the rad. Bonnet is pushed back more and it snapped off the bonnet pin.

Insured with Privilege. Worst bit is I've been told I have to take it to a Ford repair centre, if I find my own I have to stump up additional £££ so will see what they say.

Iceberg Ph1
Not good mate, sorry to hear about the accident! Hopefully you get it repaired.. On a side not about what you just wrote about insurance saying that about using their bodyshop is utter rubbish.. I had a car fixed a while back on my own back through insurance.. I just copied this from the site of the bodyshop I used.. Never paid no extra either!

The first thing you are told by your insurers is "You have to use our approved repairer". This is nonsense. Your absolute legal right is to choose your own repair centre. The choice is the customer's and no one else's.

The second thing you are told by your insurer, "should you choose your own repairer, you need to get two independent quotes." Again, utter nonsense, this is just another tactic to discourage you, by wasting your valuable time running around all the local accident repair centres to get two unnecessary quotes. You only need one quote, and we will take care of that for you by dealing directly with your insurer.

The third thing you will almost certainly be told by your insurers, is that "should you choose to use your own accident repair centre, you will not get a courtesy car, and work carried out will not be guaranteed to the standard of our approved repairer, and that the insurance company will not take responsibility for inferior work of an independent repairer". Clever but not true.

Mini Cooper S
If you want to save it, take it to an independant approved bodyshop that will have lower labour costs. Tell your insurers you want to choose where it goes.

Often these private bodyshops will do you a deal, where they'll bump up their quote to the insurers and give you cashback = you won't pay an excess sometimes!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I just wrote a load of stuff and then went back a page! c**k!

Anyway. YOU decide where you car gets repaired mate, the insurance company are lying to you by saying you will have to pay the extra (google it)

That ford garage will be getting maybe £22 per hour (that suits the insurance company) The garage you take it to might do their non-approved stuff at £30 per hour so the insurance company will do whatever they can to make you got to their repairer.

The only thing is you might lose out on a courtesy car but the garage you take it to should get you one as you are giving them business.

I think they will repair your car mate. Retail figure before added options is £7360. You can fight with them for you special paint and cup packed extras.

The repair costs would have to exceed £4784 (roughly)
The paint labour will not increase that much for 3stage pearl as your car will be. So don't worry too much about that side of things.

Any questions or hassle you have give me a pm mate, i'll help if I can.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Obviously Im not your insurance company but from the list of damage in your initial thread id bet my house that this is a write off. Believe it or not my parents drove around in a 172 (53plate) up until earlier this year. They had it from new and it wanted for nothing. I got a call one sunday and they had been involved in an RTA some uninsured guy in a white van had pulled out of a junction into them.The damage to me looked very light. cracked bumper, one xenon out, a few scratches etc

The insurance company wrote the f**ker off, couldnt believe it, they said it had twisted the frame and would cost a fortune to repair....load of b****cks really as it was an easy job to sort....it was apparently crushed, only for some young un up north to buy it a few month later without being told it was a write off

Insurance companys are c**ts

Gutted for you tbh pal
The front end would have been over. It would have needed straightened.

The insurance company will have a contract with a salvage agent, it's the salvage agent who is dodgy not the insurance company.

Same damage to Boss's car in the thread in GC the other day. His is a write off. But his was a truck so parts were dearer.

Hope it gets sorted for you fella.

Lol at Dan Peps being a keyboard warrior whoever called him that!! Far from it!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There should be a sticky for these threads so Gally can comment without the bullshit that comes from the rest of the wallopers

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
CS is full of cnuts sometimes. The poor guy may loose his car soon, and all you can think of doing is getting on your moral high horse and tell him he was driving too fast and all this bollox.

A- You weren't there, you don't know that for 100%
B- Even if he was speeding, I think its suitable punishment as it stands that his car is f**ked. He doesnt need a lecture from the CS constabulary does he?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Some very informative stuff posted in here! Thanks guys!

To the OP, hope your car's repairs don't come to over the write-off amount, keep us updated with any news. :)

320d
Sorry to hear about the car mate. Hopefully it will be repaired up to a mint standard.

Some people on CS realy are pricks though. It seems more and more lately people just want to argue and put other members down. Its not about that imo.

Clio 182
Hey mate, gutted to hear about your accident! Fingers crossed it's repairable, and if it's written off.. buy it back!! :D Keep us updated!
Laura

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Just dropped it off at dovorcourt Ford repair centre in colchester. Guy said it shouldn't be a write off but we won't know for sure till they get it all apart. Noticed it had pushed the passenger wing back, almost touching the door.

Got a cheverolet matiz as a courtesey car, it has no soul, no feeling. but I'm back on the road and use my car for work so didn't complain.

Just taken the same bend off the rounabout on my way home again. The bend off the roundabout starts tight then opens up onto the straight. Inside is lined with tress so you can't see through the bend. followed a lorry round it today with no trailer unit certainly not going any slower than I was last night. was he dirving at a speed 'just incase' there was someone coming to a stop just out of view? NO just like everyone else I saw take the bend.

The story is coming out now. There were police on the other side of the road and had pulled 2 people over, the woman I hit was slowing down to rubber neck. When she saaw me and the car behind come round the corner she panic'd and put her foot on the brake to stop sending me into the back of her not being able to stop in time, and the car behind me to take avoiding action and go round me. Can I prove she said this to me, NO. I wouldn't stand a chance.

Thanks for all the comments guys, and especially Gally. Hopefully she'll be back before christmas.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you can request a copy of there estimate by email to yourself. I'll have a gander at it or if there is any problems let me know.

So you don't mind taking it to that garage then?

Clio 182
Got a cheverolet matiz as a courtesey car, it has no soul, no feeling.

Oh dear.. I used to have one of these!! It was my first car when I was 17 and it was a birthday present lol. Couldn't imagine driving that after the Clio! Anyway, glad you're getting it sorted. All the best.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If you can request a copy of there estimate by email to yourself. I'll have a gander at it or if there is any problems let me know.

So you don't mind taking it to that garage then?

Years back someone pulled out of a junction and dented my passenger door, these guys took three atempts before I accepted the car. I'd rather them not touch it.

Unfortunately I'd already agreed to take it there as the only other option was basildon, didn't want to drive the car there due to the bonnet and I'd have to wait till next week for them to look at it and arrange a courtesy car. I couldn't go that long without a car and they said I couldn't use another place unles I came up with the cash. I hadn't read all your comments before I agreed to take it too them.

They're going to call me when they priced it up fully and I'll decide then. I may just give them a benefit this time and if it's not perfect then I'll demand it be done properly somewhere else.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You have the right to get it repaired somewhere else if you are not happy but make sure if you are not happy you get an insurance engineer out to look at the car and agree it's not good enough.

Worse case scenario I know.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
gutted for you mate, take it from someone who knows LY is expensive. If genuine Renault paint is used it aint cheap. Plus the labour on top for all the layers, not to mention the match.

LY is matchable though mate. You just need a bodyshop that knows what they are doin :)

Hope you get it sorted and fixed mate

Clio 182
Noooooooooo! Aww man made my stomach turn when I read this! :dapprove: Hope it gets sorted, would be good to see it back on the road. Keep me posted!

Chav Rocket
Just dropped it off at dovorcourt Ford repair centre in colchester. Guy said it shouldn't be a write off but we won't know for sure till they get it all apart. Noticed it had pushed the passenger wing back, almost touching the door.

Got a cheverolet matiz as a courtesey car, it has no soul, no feeling. but I'm back on the road and use my car for work so didn't complain.

Just taken the same bend off the rounabout on my way home again. The bend off the roundabout starts tight then opens up onto the straight. Inside is lined with tress so you can't see through the bend. followed a lorry round it today with no trailer unit certainly not going any slower than I was last night. was he dirving at a speed 'just incase' there was someone coming to a stop just out of view? NO just like everyone else I saw take the bend.

The story is coming out now. There were police on the other side of the road and had pulled 2 people over, the woman I hit was slowing down to rubber neck. When she saaw me and the car behind come round the corner she panic'd and put her foot on the brake to stop sending me into the back of her not being able to stop in time, and the car behind me to take avoiding action and go round me. Can I prove she said this to me, NO. I wouldn't stand a chance.

Thanks for all the comments guys, and especially Gally. Hopefully she'll be back before christmas.

fair play then. do you get any consideration as she braked hard to avoid something? or will they still pile on the blame to you? shame if it happened the way you said it did.
as everyone else said hope it gets righted properly and with the first effort!

Golf GT TDI
gutted dave :dapprove:

hope you get it all sorted, would be a shame to see it written off.

Ignore stupid comments on here

you cant get any more stupid than injecting steroids into your anus to look like bruce willis;)

You have the right to get it repaired somewhere else if you are not happy but make sure if you are not happy you get an insurance engineer out to look at the car and agree it's not good enough.

Worse case scenario I know.

Worse case indeed; which is where I am at the moment. Mine went to a Direct Line approved garage who went into administration and when I finally got the car back after 35 days the work was sub-standard. Direct Line sent their inspector out and they agreed to send it to Hylton Renault for a go. I pick it up tomorrow. Had this been my own choice of garage Direct Line would/could have bailed out on me so agree with the op going to his approved garage.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This'll be one of them stupid comments then I think...

Why do rear end shunts happen? Because the car in front slows down quicker than the car behind usually.

So, if you want to learn from this experience you have to ask yourself why she managed to stop and you didn't?

Driving too close, driving too fast, or not paying full attention - what other reason can there possibly be for piling into the back of someone? I can't see any reason in any of your previous posts that isn't covered under one of these.

Painful though it is, you need to accept that you could have avoided this, and learn from it to stop it happening again.

I hope it all works out for you repair-wise.

S4 Avant
If it's any consolation I nearly made the same mistake this morning, coming round one of my favourite bends, car round the bend sat in the road waiting to turn right.

Ended up squirming all over the road, with the ABS light flashing its tits off.

Easy mistake to make, just a shame you didn't get away with it!

LY R26
CAP Have Valued Your Part Exchange at £4825.00
Glass's Guide Have Valued Your Part Exchange at £5640

most likely it would be declared a write off :(

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I hate CAP^^^

I think its just something the dealers invented to rip people off when glass's guide became easily available to anyone.

Prove what? Prove that you weren't paying attention? That's all it proves. If you try and fight it, you'll end up on one of those 'driver awareness courses' or with a 'driving without due care and attention' charge.

I'm sorry you've crashed your car. I know how it feels, but take some responsibility. Nobody made you go fast around that corner. You should only drive as fast as you can see. Would you do 60 around a blind bend? No. Well you shouldn't if you had an ounce of common sense.

All the years I've been on here I've probably seen 3 or 4 threads with crashes where the person admits fault "I was going to fast" "I wasn't paying attention" instead you're trying to blame someone who you went into the back of. The only way that could possibly be her fault is if she was reversing.

Anyway, I'm sure you car will be shiny and new very soon and we'll have lots more threads over the winter where there was 'oil' or 'petrol' on the road that caused someone to crash.

R26r R26
Oh come on Dan. Although most of what your saying is right. You're saying for instance, that if you was driving on a nice open road with a national speed limit, and was approaching the crest of a hill and you couldn't see over it, that you would slow right down, just in-case a cow had wandered off the farmers field into the road? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.