ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Jacking Question.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I am always carful when I jack up my car, i know how dangerous it is and also don't want to damage the car!

I have a bog standard halfords trolley jack and axle stands. When I jack up the car I don'y use the skirts, but the chassis rails under the car. To stop them being damaged I use a thin but hard block of wood between the jack and the car.

However I had a bit of an accident the other day, luckily no damage or injury but quite a scare.

Basically has anyone got any tips to improve safety etc... Also when at the local tyre place I had a look at their jacks, and they seem to have something built into the part that the car rests on (not sure what it's called). Anyone have any ideas what it is or where I can get something similar.

Cheers,
Will.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Use a decent jack which has a flat surface rather than the shite cup type surface on the cheapo ones.

What most on here use is this, but it does your back in when you try and lift it lol

310176882_tp.jpg

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Use a decent jack which has a flat surface rather than the s**te cup type surface on the cheapo ones.

What most on here use is this, but it does your back in when you try and lift it lol

Thanks for the info, I will be purchasing a decent jack in the near future, when I have started my new job and have money!!

Until then I need to make mine safer, will try finding a replacement part.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was the same, kept putting off buying a decent jack until I had more money but then realised it was worth just going for it now, will last you the rest of your life all for the price of a decent night out :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don't use the chassis rails or whatever they are, I use the big bit of metal that bolts to that, subframe is it? It's pretty obvious what it is, rolled outwards at the edges a bit, got a few bolts going through it, get the jack sort of in the middle of the rolled out metal so it's not going anywhere, sorted.

I'll try take you a photo tmrw when I do my top mounts.

Chassis rails are the best place to jack, only probs is if its a lowered clio theyre hard to get to so some people use the sills.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My sills are fucked so there is no point. I am going to get a decent jack defiantly, just gotta wait a couple of months, then job starts, but until then I have no money!

Would you defiantly recommend the jack pictured above

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My sills are f**ked so there is no point. I am going to get a decent jack defiantly, just gotta wait a couple of months, then job starts, but until then I have no money!

Would you defiantly recommend the jack pictured above

I would yep :)

Its proper heavy though, i'm sure i did my back in last time i got it out of the boot :p

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Use my method, you will not slip anywhere.

I'll take you a pic of where I jack tmrw.

I am pretty sure i know where you mean, what does cup part of your jack look like and does it not damage the underside of the car at all?

Chassis rails are the best place to jack, only probs is if its a lowered clio theyre hard to get to so some people use the sills.

Yea this is the problem I have, just have a standard halfords trolley jack, so I have to drive it onto some wood, so I have enough room to get the jack under the sills so I can lift it on the chassis rails!
Bit of a faff but I can't afford one of those low entry jack thingamys!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Use a decent jack which has a flat surface rather than the s**te cup type surface on the cheapo ones.

310176882_tp.jpg

I have this Jack. Weighs an absolute tonne. Can lift the car up to a mega height as well lol.

I usually use the chassis rails, but mine are fucked now, so I need to take off all the underseal and redo it I thinks!

340i
I have this Jack. Weighs an absolute tonne, had to get Gray to lift it out of a shopping trolley and into the back of my car. Can lift the car up to a mega height as well lol.

I usually use the chassis rails, but mine are f**ked now, so I need to take off all the underseal and redo it I thinks!

iirc. :rasp:

Fiesta ST3

310176882_tp.jpg

i need to get me one of these, last time i was in costco they didnt have any in :(

330i. E30 Touring.
I pretty much always use the sills.

Cheapo draper/halford trolley jack, and ball up a bit of rag to stop harshness on the teeth. Have jacked up plenty of Clios and never had any sills bend.

Then, axle stands on the chassis rails.

Drive onto a thin block paving brick so I can get the scissor jack under the sill. Raise enough to get a low entry jack under to the chassis rail and jack on that.

Lowered FTL

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
don't jack on tarmac, it sinks so the jack can't roll = car can fall off jack

That's so obvious, can't believe I didn't think of that. When it fell off I was at my mates house, which has relatively new tarmac and it was a very hot day = soft:eek:!

Thanks Fred! :star:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Dragging up and old thread but I have another jacking question.

My car has been damaged and I need to get under it to look at / fix some stuff. Because of the snow I need to do it in the garage, but its too narrow to jack it up in the usual way. Does anyone know a way I can jack the car up from the front? I can then insert the axle stands in the normal place and remove the jack and get under the car. I now have the Arcan jack mentioned above so its pretty easy to get it under the car.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I think there is a guide, I will find it for you, but I have taken a pic for you anyway. Give me a few minutes to sort it for you!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Subframe is all I use - Never the sills, even if they have reinforced jacking points. Years of owning rotting metro gtis made me too wary!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
  Inferno 182 & Saxo
I just did it from where the subframe mounts to the body, or just a bit forward of there. Its not "central" so to speak but will give you good access to underneath. Failing that use two jacks, one on each side if you require both wheels off the floor?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I just did it from where the subframe mounts to the body, or just a bit forward of there. Its not "central" so to speak but will give you good access to underneath. Failing that use two jacks, one on each side if you require both wheels off the floor?

I have got 2 trolley jacks so that is a possibility, but I need to be able to put the jacks in under the front of the car as the garage is too narrow to get down the side of the car and jack it.

Use the jack points carefully as to not bend them... simples. Most jacks, well the cheaper jacks atleast have a groove in the head which the jack point on the car sit's into, so it cant slide out. Once jacked up, put the jack stands under the box section and share the weight between the jack and the stand. Thats what i do atleast........

Or yes get a jack with a nice flat head, and make sure it can slide on the drive.....the better jacks have bigger wheels to spread the weight.

I drive a volvo
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I'm a new member and I guess I need to make a few posts before I can read that jacking guide. I'm trying to find a central front jacking point on a clio 2. The frame rails etc are OK but I'd prefer to lift the front in one go. Anyone know a place?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not that you need make more posts mate, just become a paying member, as far as I'm aware you can't lift the whole front at once easily.

I've always had lowered Clio's though, so I may be wrong and just never able to get under to it.

I drive a volvo
Thanks for the quick reply, it turns out that it wasn't so much of an issue. A friend of mine is about to be reminded what day it is today ;)
010420111034.jpg