ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Mk1 clio thread

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
hey guys
im new here, so be nice, lol.
i have a Mk1 Phase 1 1.4 clio

Needing some advice, the previous owner seams to have er... changed bits of the engine, lol. Its been fitted with some sort of progressive twin choke carb.
The carb is reasonably tuned so i want to stick some sort of open filter on it in the summer.. what would be the best one to go for (i was thinking k & n 57i). And for the people on the forum that live in scotland, any ideas who could tune the carb a bit better?

I also got a set of Gmax 35mm springs for the badboy, now i have been quoted £190 from a local garage to fit the springs and lower the tortion bar, are there any places in scotland that could give me a better price than that?, i would attempt it myself but i dont have a garage, lol

All input apreciated :)

S2000
TBH I don't know about the first thing but £190 to fit springs and lower the torsion bar seems very expensive mate. I'm about to do mine next week myself and I don't think it should be all that difficult. You might even find someone off the forum who will do it at a knock down price for you.

Also, where about in scotland are you from? I'm from edinburgh and there are quite a few of us scots on here.

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
Alright m8
yeah £190 is kinda expensive but unless i can get a better offer any time soon i might just go for it, the clio is looking like a 4x4:p , If anyone knows where i can get it done cheaper please tell, lol.
Im jus over the water in dunfermline btw

Fiesta ST
You could do it yourself???? There are like 2 similar guides for lowering the back, which I'll find, and then I'm sure the Haynes will tell you how to take out the front springs, voila! :) Do it over a weekend... jobs a good 'un.

Get on retro renault and speak to ChrisH, hes from scottland, springs are 60 min top tops and thats if you are slow

Civic Vtec y0
Yea springs are easy, t-bar isnt too bad either, if its seized tho then your in a spot of bother! but there will be someone on here who will do it cheaper!

I have a mate who is a mechanic, il have a word with him and get a price if you want?

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
i went back to the garage and they have now givin me a quote for 160 bucks so i think im jus gonna get it done there cause the garage is on route from college to work so i can just pick it up on the way if they finish it in time

I would attempt it myself but unfortunetly i dont have the time with work and college etc and atleast if the garage makes a b*lls up of it then there insurance can get me shiney new shocks or summit, lol

Thanks for the input so far guys, something i would like to know however... do any of you have experience tuning carbs? lol

Thanks
G

S2000
have you tried a few garages mate? I don't really know what it should be, but I reckon that still seems higher than you would need to pay.

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
BRUN said:
any pics of these carbs ?
I will take a pic next time im checking my fluid levels, mind its not twin carbs its a twin choke..... so basically it looks like a carb with 2 cylinders... i will take a pic, easier than trying to explain. iv been meaning to give it a good inspection cause i wanna know what the carb is off

Rover 620ti, MK1 Valver
Hey guys
Got the badboy lowered, tis looking pretty sexual (paint and bumpers next ;))
But i have a small problem, my middle silencer tends to scrape on the speedbumps that cover the full length of the road, looking under the car it has very little clearance.. anyone thing of a way round this without removing it and sticking a straight pipe on?
Here are some pics... now be nice, its a work in progress :p

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8199/dsc0r13951oo.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9094/dsc0r13964sj.jpg

allrite mate how much did you lower each end by? the rear looks quite a bit lower than the front, doesnt look all that bad, nice one wouldnt have paid 160 quid tho.

S2000
It's a really s**t design of the exhaust tbh and they almost all do it. Mine hangs really low but I usually clear speed bumps fine, however, I was away for a couple of days this weekend and on some single track roads I was scraping because the road was that crap and I had someone in the back of the car.

One option is to take it somewhere to get another bracket put on to support the exhaust which I've seen a couple of people do.

Clio 1.4 Fidji
yey another fidji :p its a webber 32 tdcl or somthing i have the same one
carb4.jpg