ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Oil question

GTi

Morning

Does anyone know anything about Mobil 0w 40 oil Full Synth oil?

A place near me is doing it cheap and was wondering if it would be OK for my 182. I know Renault recommend using 5w 40 but how much difference would there be?

Chris

89 Supra Turbo

im runnin 0w-40 castrol rs fully synth and its fine changed oil at 6000 and ive had no major probs apart from it burns off more oil so watch your level

[Edited by seacombe2379 on 03 May 2005 at 10:22am]

Like all my cars, Ive run my 172 on fully synthetic oil from new - Castrol SLX when I could get it cheap (used to work for Castrol) and more recently Mobil 1. Absolutely no problem with using a 0w 40 oil, the specification of which will surpass all criteria set by the manufacturer. If a cars been used to non-synthetic or thicker oils there is a chance that you will burn more oil, but since my car has never known any difference theres been virtually no oil consumption in the first 42000 miles - never needed to top up between services.

I always reckon a car runs better on synthetic - feels a little free-er with the revs. Might free an extra horsepower or two from that pro-speed exhaust of yours CDC. Thanks for posting that information by the way - got my exhaust at the weekend but kept the existing cat.

GTi

Thanks for the replies all....I wish all questions could be answered as quickly and as accurately as I get on here..

No probs for the advice small_pif...recommend anyone to get a Prospeed system....mine is just over a month old now and am still loving it. Sound is great and the popping on the overrun is brilliant..

Whether you use a 0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40 or 15w-40 they are all sae 40s and have a viscosity at 100degC of 14cst. So, they all provide the same hot protection!

The "w" number denotes "cold crank viscocity" and is relevent to cold start viscosity and how quickly the oil flows when you turn the key.

0w was designed for arctic operating conditions of -35degC and 5w or 10w(which is what we tend to recommend) is more suited to the "non-arctic" Uk climate.

Can you use 0w-40? Yes of course but its a touch overkill!

Cheers

Simon