ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another one! (But it’s a 197 this time)

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I’ve bought another Clio, as having a cup turbo and 182 wasn’t enough.
I’ve fancied a 197 or 200 for a while but didn’t want to commit to selling one of the current ones to potentially find I didn’t like it.
A friend of mine actually bought a 197 a couple of weeks ago and once he told me I set to eBay to see what was about 😆

To my surprise I found a 2007 nimbus silver for sale 5 miles from where I live.
Went to view and bought it.
MOT until November
Cambelt due in November but something I can do.
Normal wear on steering wheel gear knob and drivers bolster.
It’s never had a gearbox rebuild apparently 🤔 but doesn’t crunch into gear.
Few other little niggles that I can sort but I only paid £2250 for it which I was happy with.
Pick it up tomorrow evening, and I can’t wait!
IMG_0713.jpeg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I adore Nimbus, I miss my Megane because of that colour.

If it wasn't LY I'd have my mk4 painted Nimbus!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I remember going to see a nimbus 197 cup on black speedlines when they were new in the dealers showroom, I was only 18 at the time and I remember thinking it was the coolest thing I've ever seen! They have aged well!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I picked it up Thursday but still haven’t taken any pictures!
The previous owner also sorn’d it the day I picked it up so I wasn’t able to tax it yet.

I’ve already given a service a though. Underneath is pretty clean, brake pipes and suspension all good. The wheels are in desperate need of a refurb, as they’ve corroded underneath the paint. It’s also got 4 different coil packs fitted but while they’re working they’ll stay like that.

Aiming to do an evening at brands I think to get a good feel for the car, I’ll just put the RC8 out of the 172 brembos in it for evening!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
The OE ones are made by Beru and available from Autodoc for about £20 each, loads of us running them on here and they are spot on 😎
Nice one, cheers for that. Will get some ordered! I had visions of them being £50-60 each or something daft.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Driven it a couple of days to work now, I can see why they’re so popular. Although I think I do still prefer a 182!

Couple of questions though:
Is this a normal place for the temp gauge to sit? I feel like it’s higher than it should be but could be wrong!
IMG_0729.jpeg

Are 197’s prone to have noisy a/c pumps? As mine is super loud!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's the normal location for the needle to sit.

Mine has a noisy AC compressor too. AC worked lovely after a regas but it's died and I've got the dye over the bottom of the compressor so I assume it's leaking/dead

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Yeah that's the normal location for the needle to sit.

Mine has a noisy AC compressor too. AC worked lovely after a regas but it's died and I've got the dye over the bottom of the compressor so I assume it's leaking/dead
Ah that’s good to know, thank you! I did read they can get quieter after a regas so I may try that.

Also last week the rad fan gave up, think the motor seized and then subsequently overheated.
Thanks to @Chode Lint though, new (used) fan fitted and we’re back on the road. I definitely prefer working on 1x2’s but maybe that’s because I know them well now.

I’m still not sold on the car though to be honest, I can see why so many get Megane conversions and equally why people go back to 182’s.
So my next plan is;
Braided hoses
Decent pads
Decent fluid
Track day probably an evening at brands or day at Bedford.

I’m hoping that’ll make me fall in love with it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
My rad fan is on its way out too, sounds like it's about to shear off and exit thru the bonnet.

My AC compressor got quiet after a regas for a few days then back to noisy again, they get noisy when they are low on gas

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I’m lucky it didn’t do the rad as well, it made some deep marks on it but still seems water tight!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Fixed the blower motor tonight, had melted the second pin as seems pretty common. New plug and and pin and it’s working on all 4 again 👌🏻
Now I just need to get into the boot, the previous owner said it was dodgy but knew the knack of getting in, I don’t know how he did it yet!!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Fixed the blower motor tonight, had melted the second pin as seems pretty common. New plug and and pin and it’s working on all 4 again 👌🏻
Now I just need to get into the boot, the previous owner said it was dodgy but knew the knack of getting in, I don’t know how he did it yet!!
You should have said, I've got a new plug with tails here too. You could have had it 😂

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
You should have said, I've got a new plug with tails here too. You could have had it 😂
😂 typical, was only a tenner of eBay. No doubt it’ll melt again at some point but probably not in my ownership 😂

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I did think that would be the case 😂 I’ll get one ordered!