ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another tyre thread...

Clio Trophy
I've had Goodyear Eagles more or less since I got it and although happy with them, lots of people say they're not the best for feel and precision due to being so soft. That's not just Trophy owners but general comments on performance cars.

Never really had anything to compare them to on the car so I do fancy changing them and seeing for myself since a Trophy is all about precision. I never track the car, but do wonder if it might be worth giving the Yokohama AD08R's a go.

It's that or the XL PS3's. They're near enough the same price as each other and I don't doubt the Michelins will last longer and be better in the wet but how big a difference are we talking in that regard?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I had F1s on my car and didn't like them at all. Only covered about 2500 miles and replaced them for a set of AD08R's, the difference is night and day.

I love them.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How's the wear and wet performance?
Performance is great, but I've only covered a few miles and as I don't use the car much the wear isn't an issue for me. (Only do around 1500 miles per year)

Even better when hot.
2341cb348458488950f102ad9981060f.jpg

AD08Rs over winter?

Brave...

lol

I've always liked the F1s when I ran them, though it was a while ago now. Used to drive round the outside of cars on wet roundabouts lol

Currently using PS3s and very impressed - great grip and seem to have stiff sidewalls (in a 50 profile). The ContiSportContact6 beat the latest F1s in the evo tyre test IIRC, with good marks for precision feel.

Clio Trophy
This is in 205/45/16.

Performance options worth bothering with are basically Goodyear Eagle, PS3, Dunlop Sport Maxx, AD08R, Hankook and Pirelli PZero.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I used to have Contis on my 172 and thought they were good. Did a couple of wet track sessions on them and I felt they performed very well. When buying tyres, wet grip rating is one of the things I prioritise. The weather can be very mixed in the UK (especially north of the border!) so it seems an important factor to me me and, lets face it, any good quality tyre should be more than up to the job in the dry. Given that you don't plan on using the car on track, I probably wouldn't bother looking at track-influenced tyres. If you only use it in the dry then maybe, but is it really worth it? If you're driving fast enough on a dry road to be pushing the boundaries of a SportContact/Pilot Sport/Eagle F1, then you're probably driving too fast anyway.

Everyone has their own opinions on tyres but, if you're happy, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. Half the time I suspect its placebo effect for most people anyway.

Clio Trophy
You can push the boundaries of them in tighter corners on a well sighted road to be fair. It's as much about feel as anything else and I want to know I'm doing the car justice in that regard.

Clio Trophy
Update- just got PS3's in XL guise fitted today, will see how different they feel. Just pressing the sidewall by hand it's obvious how little flex they have in comparison to the Goodyears.

Liked the idea of the AD08R's but on a recent drive over the Cairn O'Mount in cold, greasy conditions, the Goodyears were finding very little grip, I'd never seen understeer in the Trophy as severe. Tread was obviously wearing very low but I suspect this would be indicative of what the Yokohamas may be like in similar conditions.

Hence going for the Michelins for a wider spread of performance.

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Having run both on track and road. On road, PS3s are the better option in just about every area compared to AD08rs, even in summer. You made the right choice.