ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another young vs old thread!!!

fiesta zetec s mk5 / 182
just popped into stealers to get a price on twingo for mother in law, saw a 197 and asked for a test drive, guy said no probs so off we went had a fairly lengthy spirited drive in it and was kind of impressed, got some quote and a preregistered one came to 15995. not bad but i did find a few points i did like and didnt.

pro's
1. does feel more sure footed to drive (had the cup chassis)
2. tiny steering wheel compared to old wagon wheel.
3. handles v. good
4. 6th gear

cons,
1. lot of dough for a young lad
2. all the extras that are worth having bump the price up FAST!!
3. No 5k kick
4. doesnt feel as fast as my 182
5. engines very loud
6. could feel a pea in the road

i know i dont own 1 and yes i would still have 1 but it most definatly would not be my first choice. just wondering did anybody else come from a 182 and think that it had no poke.

yes its probly ideal for the track , and would definatly have 1 for cruising the motorway but as a "sports car" i think i would rather have something else!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Better handling is only noticable on the track and the 182 is a faster car i believe in a straight line

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nope. Fack all in it. I've had a 172 Cup, and a 182. The 197 is no different. They are bigger yes. Only downsides i feel abot the 197 is its buzzy in 6th, it is a little larger than it needs to be. The pro's, noise.... fantastic in standard form, seating/driving position, and looks. Has Much more visual presence han the MK2's

Think all the main points have been covered, fantastic car, two things put me off, the fuel consmption and the buzziness in 6th.
Mine would be Albi or Nimbus.

fiesta zetec s mk5 / 182
didnt get into sixth tbh but will admit it looks the sh** going round a bend or parked up!

VRS
saw a few more 197's today, im the opposite with the whole 'presence' thing

everytime i see one it takes a while to register as to whether its a 197 or just a normal mk3 clio, i dont think they stand out much at all, although im guessing thats was reno's aim as the 197 seems to be very popular with the middle aged and over drivers

still a lovely motor, just more understated

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I agree with Andy... IMO, the Mk2 has way more road presence and looks the more special car.

I do like the 197 though, and despite what the haters say... there's little difference in a straight line.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
16k expensive tho, 197's do look nice in certain colours and have a nice road presence

fiesta zetec s mk5 / 182
love the stance of the 197 tho and the way it feels but then again ive only just learnt how to drive my 182 "properly"

VRS
I dissagree. The 197 IMO has a lot more road presence, and gets a lot more attention on the road.

lol we will have to agree to disagree then ;)

too soft for my liking in standard 197 guise, the r27 and cup do however have slightly more presence with a better stance

spacers and h&r's are a necessity to beef up the look imo

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You said feel a pea in the road, are you taking it to the south of france for the summer>? Its not exactly a Merc for comfort, and i dont think renault intended to make it that way!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've driven two 197's now and think they are great cars, but i'd only have if i could afford to run it alongside my 172, as i prefer the rawness of the 172/182.

C2 VTS from Fri
My mate got an early one with the lower ratios and said that he could understand why people wanted longer gearing if they didn't get the stereo upgrade:D. I've had a couple of cars where 4,000+rpm is the norm for a motorway cruise and don't see why it's a problem. I reckon it's a nice ride but may still go for a Twingo GT or a C2 instead.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its just the trade in that would get me

Your going to pay like 6k just to have a newer looking car but no better with worse mpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I agree with Andy... IMO, the Mk2 has way more road presence and looks the more special car.

I do like the 197 though, and despite what the haters say... there's little difference in a straight line.

Look again ph-steelie

P1040342.jpg

Case dismissed
;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats my '197's have no presence' picture

It comes out every now and again ;)

I ve said it before and I will say it again, the 197 has regained the presence of the ph1, the ph2's just aren't in the same league looks wise.
When I see a phquick/ 197 lurking in my rear view mirror I move the f**k over! With a 172 ff it could be an a dynamique, either way I move over and plant it.