ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any consequences to running my laptop charger without a ground connection?

Mk2 Golf GTI
I was getting loads of interference through my speakers and external monitor due to the ground connection of the charger.

As a temporary solution, i took the ground wire out of an extension lead and now plug my laptop into that groundless extension whenever i need to record some audio.

All the interference has disappeared which is good, but i'm just wondering if running the charger without a ground is going to cause any problems like shorting out or totally blowing my computer up?!

It's a windows laptop with a plastic body, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
depends if there is a 3 pin or 2 pin connection on the input of the laptop psu

if it's 3 pin then i wouldn't use it without that connected

also having an extension lead without the earth connected is a big NO NO

Mk2 Golf GTI
It's a 3 pin, clover leaf shape thingy.

What about if i plugged the extension into a surge protector? This is only temporary until i find a proper solution! And it's only left like this for an hour at most with nothing else plugged into it.

When i finish recording i just plug the lappy charger straight into the wall.

Any idea where i could find a 2 pin laptop psu with the figure of eight shaped connection?

If i had something like the one below would that solve my problem?

41yTF61xjiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg