ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any one on 10w60 or 5w50?

Clio 172 phase 1
Any one running any of these oils ? Any advantages im
thinking about going for something like the 10w60 but im
concerned over the 60w when warm
being too thick, what's people running other than standard 5w40 ... I do apologise for grammar but my phone screen is cracked and playing hell :(

Clio 172 phase 1
I'm thinking of changing grades because of what the car is used for ( abuse and track ) it gets used daily but it's going all out and oil is something you want to spend good money on and have the best so why not.... What do you think of the 10w60 as a normal engine dan?

Clio 172 phase 1
The 10w isn't going to be an issue as I have all the dealer service history and up untill my ownership it's always had. 10w40 ... However the 60 operating temp is a thought as will it be to thick for the dephasar and muck up the vvti ?

340i
Just remember running a 60 grade will take longer to warm up than a 40, especially longer if you are on a standard'ish engine (i.e. not forced induction).

Clio 172 phase 1
Hmm yeh I was thinking about the warm up time but I was also thinking about when warm would there be any real extra protection ( on a track day ) for example or on a really hard spirited drive ..... I'm trying to pull data sheets on the viscosity at temperatures of certain oils to compare but shell valvoline petronas and Mobil only like to give the data for certain stuff nothing special ... I must try harder

Clio 172 phase 1
Been speaking with Mobil one and they reccomend 0w40.... wtf any one using that I bet it's like water! ....

dan's cast offs.
I run mine and the wife's with valvoline 0/40 fully synth and both fine with it, hers has done just about 150,000 miles as well.

Wouldn't run one on a 60 though, can't imagine the dephaser and the solenoid liking it that much;)

Clio 172 phase 1
Agreed im ruling out the 10w60 option but I'm liking the idea of a 5w40 or 0w40 ... Just scared of the 0w being thin and it using loads of oil but as it is it dosent use a drop I've never topped it up in the past 12 months it's great ....

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Personally if its a track car I'd go for 5/40 fully synthetic which is quite cheap as I replace it every other track day.

Clio 172 phase 1
After much digging turns out the valvoline vr1 5w50 has the highest synthetic content of what I can find and looks from pour point to temp wise it's going to be the best without a loss in power :) ....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have used 10W60 in standard F4R engines when they have done track work and dont have an oil cooler fitted, these engines have a habbit of spinning the centre main bearing if oil pressure gets low, and have a pump which doesnt provide massive flow, so using an oil that stays a little thicker makes perfect sense to me.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
The first number is the cold viscosity, and the second number is the hot one. So 0w40 isn't any thinner than 5w40 when warmed up, it just flows better at low temps. The w stands for winter, not weight (something I didn't realise for years!).

I used 5w50 in my Clio which got a lot of use on track, as Chip says the added pressure helps when the car gets used really hard and oil temps start to head North...

Clio 172 phase 1
Yeh I know what the oil grades mean thanks bud but it's what's suitable within thicker viscosity on a f4r engine and the pros and cons of said thicker oil in racing conditions and also day to day living ..... With that said I've found the 5w50 to be the next said best thing to the standard .... Well on paper anyhow I'm going to try it and see :)

Yeh I know what the oil grades mean thanks bud but it's what's suitable within thicker viscosity on a f4r engine and the pros and cons of said thicker oil in racing conditions and also day to day living ..... With that said I've found the 5w50 to be the next said best thing to the standard .... Well on paper anyhow I'm going to try it and see :)

The problem I found was 5w50 seems rare and expensive so I just went 10w60

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I use Comma Motorsport fully synthetic 5w50. £26 for 5 litres.

I am considering going to 10w60 just to be safe on track although the 5w50 with an oil cooler shouldn't be a problem.

Clio 172 phase 1
My thought 10w60 but I also thought the increased friction of the oil in real race terms is going to make the car go slower not that your going to notice but on naturally aspirated standard engine I thought the 50 seemd the best option it's reasonable money it'll perform the best for what I want and it's going to be thick enough to hold its own in a hard condition but not thick enough to cause me concern