ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any one with knowledge of battery charging circuit,electrical fault.

clio 182
When I drive and get to a certain revs my serv light stop light airbag light engine light comes on and the dash clock light goes off along with the CD player.I have checked the battery which seems to be reasonably warm,I also plugged in a voltage indicator while driving which showed 14 volts around idle.but when I drive and get into higher revs the voltage increases and ateadly goes upto 17 volts this is when I lose power to the above and warning lights come on.would I be right in thinking the battery is being overcharged,anyone else had this?leads me towards the alternator + regulator.my car is a 54 plate 182.Any knowledge on the altenator and regulator would be great and anything else I could maybe check?will check connections and fuses in the light tomorrow. Many thanks Paul.

Vee 6
If your voltage indicator is accurate, 17 volts is way to much....At 14.2 + volts the battery can start to gas up.

Take off the thick wire on the back of the alternator ( insulate it ) and run it on the battery power for a short while ( just a short test ) and see if it re-occurs.
Remember to disconnect the battery before swinging a spanner down there, It's constant live.......

Sounds like its over charging and spiking the ECU along with everything else.

Last edited:
  Evora, C-HR & A180
If your voltage indicator is accurate, 17 volts is way to much....At 14.2 + volts the battery can start to gas up.

Take off the thick wire on the back of the alternator ( insulate it ) and run it on the battery power for a short while ( just a short test ) and see if it re-occurs.
Remember to disconnect the battery before swinging a spanner down there, It's constant live.......

Sounds like its over charging and spiking the ECU along with everything else.

+1, sounds like your regulator has packed up that is inside alternator, which is a new alternator jobbie, or get one from breakers

clio 182
Ahhh,good way to test the alternator,and glad you confirmed the regulator is internal.Big help thanks lads best get searching an alternator.