ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any tips on selling my Clio 182?

Clio 182
I have never sold a car privately, always traded in. But this time I am not replacing the car as we don't need/justify a 2nd car. I have 4 kids so can't get rid of the people carrier.

My questions are...
if I advertise and sell what are the basic rules for test runs and money.

Do people need valid insurance before I let them take my precious out, if it is not cash do you take bankers draft to bank before handing keys over. Should I even let people drive it, as you know these cars are bonkers in 2nd 3rd gear and an inexperienced driver could get caught out.

Slightly nervous as I am usually too trusting, what are the pitfalls I should look out for.

Steve

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
You need proof of insurance before you let anyone drive it mate.

I personally wouldn't accept a printed out cover note as proof.

Bankers draft is gaurenteed by the bank so you don't need to take it to the bank first.

Yes people need valid insurance, not only if they bin it, but if they are stopped without it, YOU also get points for allowing the use without insurance.

1.2 clio
Tbh it's up to you. I took the guy out on a test drive in my old 106 gti because he had no insurance I wasn't going to take the risk of him crashing even if I'm sat in the passenger seat. Money wise I prefer cash if it is bank transfer I'd would ask for a non refundable amount upfront say 50 pounds so you know it's ok and will go though. But I've never had a bank transfer for anything maybe someone else could shed some light on one. People are always going to haggle its tough these days and people look for a bargin there's always going to be someone picky any dent scratch they will knock some off the price. Also from buying and seling cars little tip when there looking at your car don't stand too close to them as if your going to bum them lol. stand back and give the some room so they can have a good look with out feeling pressured. All the best with the sale mate!!!

2016 Audi RS3
I have never sold a car privately, always traded in. But this time I am not replacing the car as we don't need/justify a 2nd car. I have 4 kids so can't get rid of the people carrier.

My questions are...
if I advertise and sell what are the basic rules for test runs and money.

Do people need valid insurance before I let them take my precious out, if it is not cash do you take bankers draft to bank before handing keys over. Should I even let people drive it, as you know these cars are bonkers in 2nd 3rd gear and an inexperienced driver could get caught out.

Slightly nervous as I am usually too trusting, what are the pitfalls I should look out for.

Steve

Sell it on eBay so you don't have to bother with test drives :) I got a good price for my 172 cup doing this and the bloke just turned up, paid, and drove off.....

Clio 182
Sell it on eBay so you don't have to bother with test drives :) I got a good price for my 172 cup doing this and the bloke just turned up, paid, and drove off.....

That is my plan B.

thanks for the info guys, I guess common sense and being sensible is the key.

Going to be hard to sell as I don't really want to let her go.

M2 Comp
I always ask for proof of comprehensive cover and to see the cash too.

Nobody has test driven a car I've sold yet as a result, I just end up taking them out as a passenger. The way I see it, if they want to buy your car they will produce both of the above no problems.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
There are lots and lots of fake bankers drafts about. Unless you have a chip and pin machine at your house, ONLY accept bank transfer or Cash. If you accept anything else you are asking for trouble.

If they want to drive it, then tell them you either want to have the full asking price in cash in your hand, or a proper copy of fully comprehensive insurance. Showing either your registration or 'Any Vehicle'.

​If you have any questions, no matter how stupid you think they are, just ask. There are lots of horrible little scrotums out there trying to mug people off.

ph2 172
and don't forget to do a receipt plus duplicate for the sale. State on it what it is, how much it was sold for and also put 'SOLD AS SEEN'. Then signed and dated by both parties.

Dru G

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Bankers draft is gaurenteed by the bank so you don't need to take it to the bank first.

Yes people need valid insurance, not only if they bin it, but if they are stopped without it, YOU also get points for allowing the use without insurance.

Don't take a bankers draft as even these can be faked these days - just take cash.

Clio 197
Make yourself a full member and advertise it on here ... Unless this is a veiled attempt at a for sale thread :)

PH2 RS172
i would ebay classified ad it (with no text talk either lol).. as it wards off timewasters.. no bidders that win and dont pay up (remember you have to pay the fee still). its down to the driver if they get pulled with no insurance by the way, i know numerous people who have been pulled and gone to court over this and the owner received no points as it is deemed down to the individual driving to have their own cover for the vehicle... however if you value your car then check for it regardless as if they use your car for a ribbon to tie around a lampost youll come out of it with no car or cash. i always let the driver give it a few revs aswell.. that way if theres anything that crops up afterwards youve at least let them prove to themselves that the car was more than capable of going some before they handed over the cash. i hate it when you testdrive a car thats got a decent amount of bhp but they wont let you take a short spirited drive in it.. makes me think that chewing gums holding part of the car together for the test drive only... :-/

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Do people actually do this lol... every car I've test driven I've never had insurance to do so, and I've also let potential buyers drive my car without it. Been doing it this way for nearly ten years and never had a problem.

I will now I've just said that though :S