ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone 18 with a 172/182?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
anyone here 18 with a 172/182? sure i remember subway being 18 with a cup?

if so what you paying for insurance in your own name? any ncb etc etc.

cheers

Chocolate Bar™
ben p was paying around 3k when he was 18 under his own name.

ive got no NCB and could only really afford one when i hit 20/21. paying 1200 with mods declared now, but when i was under 21 most companies just refused to insure me

fiesta 1.25
Im 18 driving one year now best i can get on my own is over 3k and on my parents ive got it for £950 so will be buying one in the next few weeks!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you got any NCB mate ^

to be honest dont really mind paying £3,000+ a year if thats what it takes. working full time now and looking for a new car and seen a a racing blue with the stripes that i like lol

I would never pay that for in insurance you should wait 1 or 2 years it is never worth it its only a Clio after all i think i pay about £850 thats with 2 or 3 years ncb cant really remember dont take much notice i am 22 aswell

Clio_Smart
Why dont you get just get mk2 ph1 1.2/1.4 in top condition and mod it to look like mk2 ph1 172.

Insurance wont be alot and in a few years put it back to standard sell the car and the mods you done then go and get your mk2 ph2 172/182.

£3k on insurance, bloody hell. 2 years at that price and you could buy yourself a mint 172.

Be patient and wait until your 20-21 imo and it will drop to below £1400. Try greenlight.

V6
i got quoted £2300 haveing a excess of £450 lol. thats at 19 with 2 years NCB and 3 points. rip off :(

ive been quoted £1500 with £250 excess for a 1.6 16v Rsi clio

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why dont you get just get mk2 ph1 1.2/1.4 in top condition and mod it to look like mk2 ph1 172.

coz ive already got a mint 1.2 16v, dont want it to look like a 172/182 coz its not, im not wanting to pay £3k a year insurance for a good looking car lol i need somethin thats got power lol

Clio_Smart
I know you dont want to pay 3k for a lookalike lol who would !!!

So you have got a mint 1.2 why dont you just mod it to a 172.

Your insurance isnt much on a 1.2 im 18 with 1 years NCB and i pay just over £1000.

I have a mint 1.2 RSi replica will be complete at the end of the week :D

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
I turned 21 in July and got my 182 in Sept.Im paying £550 fully comp in my name,no other drivers and 3 years ncb.I thought that was pretty good.That was with direct line,norwich union just laughed when i phoned them and when i told them the price i was quoted they sed direct line must have made a mistake. The cheap quote i got swayed me into buying a 182 over type r which i think would have been more expensive.

Astra 1.8 SRi
I turned 21 in July and got my 182 in Sept.Im paying £550 fully comp in my name,no other drivers and 3 years ncb.I thought that was pretty good.That was with direct line,norwich union just laughed when i phoned them and when i told them the price i was quoted they sed direct line must have made a mistake. The cheap quote i got swayed me into buying a 182 over type r which i think would have been more expensive.

Is that for real? As the best quote I've had as a 21 with 3 years NCB is £1500. I'm 20 w/ 2 NCB but was curious to see how much it wud cost.

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)

Is that for real? As the best quote I've had as a 21 with 3 years NCB is £1500. I'm 20 w/ 2 NCB but was curious to see how much it wud cost.

Yeh no joke.Iv checked over it time and time again to make sure its all right.Not exactly sure what they take into consideration.Duno whether living in exeter makes any difference.Its not exactly the crime capital of the world!!Also got a multicar discount with directline,duno how much this knocks off

Last edited:
I don't understand how people get quoted such low prices and then compalin thinking they were high. At 21 I was getting quotes at best of £2.5k. at 23 best prices were £1.8k

iv been trying to get a 172/182 for ages insurance is just stupid money iv given up untill im 21 in june, only about 7 months now not really that long to wait considering iv wanted a faster car since i passed my test over 3 years ago, and i would have probably killed myself in a 182.

When i had my 172 I was paying about £950 at 21 with 1 years no claims with Greenlight.

Volvo S60 T5 asap
Just done a test quote for myself on a 2000 Mk2 Clio Phase1 172:

Your car insurance quote £372.75

Or you can pay by
monthly instalments
£32.66 a month Inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable

Your payment breakdown

Deposit (Credit/Debit card) £70.35

1st instalment (Direct Debit) £32.65

Remaining 9 instalments £32.66

APR 16.6 %

Total amount payable £396.94

Discounts included This is an exclusive internet price and is available only to customers purchasing car insurance online

Vehicle

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Gotta be a moron pay 3k for insurance if you ask me. Why not do it the proper way and gain experience then get insured.

the proper way? i dont see whats not proper about buying and insuring a car ive wanted since it was released, i dont work long hard shifts to save my money up and not spend it ;)

going to get another years ncb and then think about it again

I'm setting up my own insurance company.

Pay me £3k a year and don't crash and I'll be well happy :D

mazda 3 mps
ive been doing a few quotes recently i pay £1400 atm for the audi best i can get for a clio is £1600 im 23 0 NCB and live in one of the worst postcodes about for insurance

gsb

98 Sreg Clio RT
Gotta be a moron pay 3k for insurance if you ask me. Why not do it the proper way and gain experience then get insured.

the proper way? i dont see whats not proper about buying and insuring a car ive wanted since it was released, i dont work long hard shifts to save my money up and not spend it ;)

Yeah but theres a reason why its so expensive, cos the chances are you will crash it after only been driving for a year or two! I agree, wait a year or two, get some experience and then get a less insane quote!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah but theres a reason why its so expensive, cos the chances are you will crash it after only been driving for a year or two! I agree, wait a year or two, get some experience and then get a less insane quote!

thats true ive been driving just under a year but done a good 30,000 miles which is more than a lot of people i know who have been driving 10 years!!

Leon Cupra R 225
I don't have a clio and am not 18, instead im 20 and drive a 1.6 16v corsa sport, insurance grp 10, and Im insured £440 full comp. :) Next car is golf r32, Im bracing myself for the insurance

ph1 172 / r1 mini project
i just cudnt justify paying more than £1000 a year for insurance wotever the car to be honnest, i was paying under that on an sti type ra impreza. i know insurance prices have gone ridiculous now for young drivers, my 1st car cost £600 and the insurance was around £600 too, prob cost bout £1200+ now to insure a similar car at 2days prices, tis the only time im glad to be old!! well not too old anyways! :D

Turbos.

I appreciate you probably live in a nicer area than me but i am 21 with 4 years NCB and i am with Directline and pay almost £900...

Piss take!

Exactly and.... no offence but this is the reason all our insurance quotes are rising. Most decent insurance companies wont touch anyone under 21 anyway. Hence the reason i waited until then. When i was 20 i got quotes of 2k after i pay 822.

i have 2 ncb but have been driving longer, i had to cancel a policy near the end and lost a year :(

I also know what i was like when i was 17/18. I was young and reckless at times and i know for a fact some of the things i did in my 53 corsa sxi 1.2 16v! i would not of come out of if i did them in the cup.

BG182®
i got a quote of elephant.co.uk for $2600 fully comp for a 172. im 18 atm and been drving for a yr with 1 NCB and put my g/f on it who has just past her test. im not sure if i want to be paying that but come the end of the year i gotta feelin im goin to give in to it :D

kiddies,

I'm in the same boat. I've had my licence for about 2 years and in 24 (nearly 25). Personally, I think you'd be nuts to spend 3k on insurance. Fair play if you do but most people who do probs live at home aged 18 without other bills to pay. I'm not having a go at anyone, but if I was in that position I would rather be saving towards a deposit for a house to move out.

Anyways, I dont mind driving my shitbox 1.2 8v for a couple of years. I think it will probs do me good. Next car will be a Meggy 225 and it will be worth the wait.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i was 19 when i insured mine, paid just over £1900. stung me in the pocket but it was worth it, i love it!

Impreza P1
i'm 19 with 2 years no claims with a 182 and pay £1900 with quinn direct and the cheapest i could find it