ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone ever regretted a modification ?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Putting 17's on my Punto GT. Improved both the looks and motorway cruising speeds, no end. But they were massively heavy, killed the acceleration and made a quite nippy and light car into something quite sluggish. It never cornered well, but the 17s just made it even worse - lol.

Oh, and not keeping drhowser's white 2118's when he kindly loaned them to me. I'm sure I could have come up with a decent enough excuse to keep them on my car! :)

D.

200 FF Storm Grey
Sort of regret coiliovers, look ace but try and throw the car about and it just rubs constantly.

I think alot of mods are more hassle than they're worth but we still do them so meh, who knows

Ph 1 172
Ktec stealth like the exhaust but wished I had gone for the recessed or a yozza race system or a pea shooter style. Also when I first bought it in august 2 years back I bought a piperX open cone ik £90 and it did 2 miles and came off made the car feel like crap

Golf gti ED30+182
noticed a few saying coilovers why? i have kw v3 on my golf that have been setup proper on the scales and it handles everything i can put at it.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
noticed a few saying coilovers why? i have kw v3 on my golf that have been setup proper on the scales and it handles everything i can put at it.

Maybe you've not put it down to unusable lowzzzz. Never quite get folk who get coilovers, wind them right down then complain that it rubs. Either sort where its rubbing or raise them. Odd.

Anyway, not regretted mods but do kinda regret modding cars I've not kept for very long.

Golf gti ED30+182
yeah dont slam a clio its built to handle dont fook it up slamming it but if you do lower it make sure buy wise and have it set up on the scales and yeah defo dont go to low on my car i had vw race team set mine up so it does its job

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Had the 182 lowered on vmaxx coilies and as much as it looks good, I do in a way sort of regret it. It's lowered about 40 at the rear and 30ish as the front. Don't get me wrong, the handlings improved no end and feels glued to the road around corners. But Im more of an enthusiast than a modifier and I like to appreciate cars for what they are. I'll more than likely keep it how it is at the minute. Anyone else regretted lowering or any modification at all ?

Pics ??

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lolz at the coilovers, they can just be lowered around 20mm you know ;)

Insignia SRi
Simota carbon induction kit, looked and sounded mental but i must have been a complete tard to spend £230 on it!!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
another vote for ktec stealth supersport. sounded shite, droned like mad, drove me mad, took it off after few months, now enjoying the sound of my ph1 airbox with no air feeds and can actually hear myself think.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^Truly awful, they peeps who say they arnt must be deaf from the drooooooooooooone

Clio 197
My exhaust, well only when im on the motorway lol

Dan

Same here !

Currently toying with the idea of taking it off, sounds good around town but on the motorway it can get a little tiresome. Thing is is I go OE I am 90% certain I will be left wanting more !

Clio 197
another vote for ktec stealth supersport. sounded shite, droned like mad, drove me mad, took it off after few months, now enjoying the sound of my ph1 airbox with no air feeds and can actually hear myself think.

What exhaust did you replace It with ??

RB182cup&golf gti
yeah, fitting a pipercross airfilter kit to my AX GT many many years ago. The kit comprised a drill bit to widen one of the jets on the twin carb. Ended up having to replace the bloody carb in the end after numerous rolling road trips - I completely fcked the thing up!

Clio 172
I had a MKII golf GTI that had blue indicatiors all round including the rear clusters, I put 17's on it about 6 months before lowering it (looked like a bloody tractor), Jetta front end (cheap Rallye look) and the legendary DTM rear box that lasted about 2 weeks before getting gone. I also ordered and RS front bumper that I swapped at a service station on the M6 for a DTM rear splitter that is still in my shed. There are other bits and pieces but these are the ones that stand out as being truly awful.

Ph1 Non Sport
Putting an induction kit on my 1.4... If anyone near worcester wants to put my old airbox on for beer moneys then be my guest :cool:

172, Focus
I regret modifying my mk5 Fiesta Zetec-S, that car handled sweet as standard but I thought i knew better and fitted a Spax psx shock/spring kit and 17'' tsw pace alloys.
This threw the ride comfort out of the window big time, so while it may have been able to corner harder and faster, you would have broke your spine long before you actually reached a corner at speed!
Its for this reason both my Clio 172 and Civic Type-R will remain standard, I will never waste any money trying to extract any more power or "improve" the handling of them, I will just maintain them with regular servicing and care.
If i want to go faster i will just buy a Megane III RS250. simple.

Focus RS Mk1
Coilovers - any set ive ever had on any road car! way too harsh for the uk roads, by far the best sus setup i had was on my SC saxo, Decent springs on bilstein dampers!

Ktec unsilenced exhaust - was a good idea for a week, then regretted it there after!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Putting a peco back box on my 1.2 years ago. Was cheap but oh so bloody loud!! Had to change it shortly after.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Where do i start!
Single wiper and prospeed exhaust on my 172 cup.
17s and gaz coilovers on my mx5.
Cut springs on my swift gti and mk1 golf.
They are the worst offenders. I blame being young and maxpower.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I had a perfectly good ph1 Black Renault 21 Turbo and had it repainted in Ford Olympic Blue with a set of White Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's, a Carisma retrim in Black and Baby Blue......I ended up spending £24k in 6 years of owning it, that was inc all mods and buying it tho, engine, 5 diff sets of wheels, 3 gearboxes, 4 turbos etc etc u get the idea.

I was left with a show winning white elephant that everyone loved yet nobody actually wanted, so I broke it for bits and took a club hammer to the remains. Got £5.5k back and have just bought another black ph1 21 Turbo lol

I had a fab time with the car, learned so much as I did most of it myself (all except paint) but I so wished it was still black and shiny :(

pics pls!

Apex -40mm kit on my 1.6, looked great but handled worse than standard and the ride was rediculous. Never again.

anything apex should be banned, they are so bad i cold cry. our 172 came with them... the second its back on the road they'll be gone.

i regret modding the meg, until i get into it on a springs day and my hairs stand up.

I regret fitting a decat. It was great fun but I quickly grew tired of it. The increased pops & bangs just started to get on my nerves after a while, and the car stank. It was only a matter of time before I got tugged for it. Factor in the insurance issues, and I decided enough was enough. Removed it about a week ago. The car is now much more civilised, and sounds expensive when I give it some welly, rather than sounding like an actual WRC car. I enjoyed it, but the experience was a bit too Toby for me.

I regret fitting a decat. It was great fun but I quickly grew tired of it. The increased pops & bangs just started to get on my nerves after a while, and the car stank. It was only a matter of time before I got tugged for it. Factor in the insurance issues, and I decided enough was enough. Removed it about a week ago. The car is now much more civilised, and sounds expensive when I give it some welly, rather than sounding like an actual WRC car. I enjoyed it, but the experience was a bit too Toby for me.

LOL.

If I am honest with myself. I wouldn't do anything to the Clio if I bought another one. I think I would genuinely leave it standard.

My suspension is too hard for the daily commute on Norfolk's finest and it's too low for speed bumps. I know a lot of people find this once they have spent a fortune on their "track" car. Mine was a track car and daily. But then I got a dedicated track toy. Now the Clio with it's mods, seems a little wasted.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I wish I'd gone for the standard K-Tec stealth over the supersport unsilenced version. It was £80 cheaper though, hence why I bought it.

Love that 3k drone on the motorway.....