ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone fitted an Ecotek on a valver

CHeers.....there was a reason i read this then didnt reply!!!!

Yes, i have one........

infact, you can have it for 20 quid!.......clean and brand spankers. Came with the car and i dont like them of the theory behind it. So i turned it off as soon as as got it.

Quote from the website

"On almost all non performance cars the first experience you will get from the CB-26P is considerably improved throttle response. Improved engine pick up is the first symptom of better more efficient combustion."

"This makes acceleration smoother and more rapid and has cured flat spots in the rev ranges of numerous sports cars."

HTH

Ste

Im not going through the discussion again, suffice ot say that the theory behind is is pure stoopiduty, if you know anything about flow and fluid dynamics then you will know why....its just a terribly stupid idea.

I leans your a/f ratio at idle simple because there is a high vacuum in the manifold and leaks air in......

Its placed anywhere along the brake servo pipe, and the noise isnt really noticeable.

If you want it, 20 quid to find out, i havent because i turned it off as soon as i got the car.

just the valve, the filter does nowt, just an easy way for them to get another 25 quid off you, you can get them for about 8 quid form motorsport places.

Your in bristol!

20 quid, you can have it!

Ben - dont you find that the proven MPG figures and the free revving qualities of this bleed device dont tempt you at all? I had one on my 214 and i got an extra 5mpg. Noticed that the revs freed up as well. The K series rover engine reacts well to them. Yes, it does lean your mixture, but if you know anything about engine manufacture, youll know that all engines are designed to over fuel slightly. if it was a perfect mixture then there would be no need for a catalytic converter as the combustion would be "perfect". The Ecotek takes advantage of this. unfortunately i cant use this on my new car as the cars turbod and would only take advantage when slamming on the anchors, cruising off boost and idle. I hardly do any of these ;)

For £20, i think someone should buy this off him as its a good deal. I, and many others have benefited from this.

No offence Ben, this is not a dig at you in anyway.

Ste

Sold anyway.....

And Dags, not a dig, but if you knew anything about engine management you would also know that they work around the 15-15.5:1 a/f ratio, leaner that the perfect ratio for best power. Why, because cats need a specific ratio to convert the waste gasses from combustion into harmelss byproducts. It dont filter, it dont reduce, it totally changes the product.....hence, lower emissions.

Peak power is made at about 14.3-14.7:1

The benefits of an ecotek are minimal, why.....firstly, it works on overrun where there is a pressure differential larg enough to open the simple spring valve. The Swirl it creates at the point of exit fromt he valve might be there, but is swirl still there when you negotiate teh initial 90 deg bend, along the servo pipe, into the manifold and evenly distributed into each cylinder. Placement of the servo breather on the manifold is not always equidistant form each cylinder, then you have to take into account floe direction and rates, and the amout bled is minute, were talking ml in volume. Add that to the hundreds of liters of air processed by an engine and you see that it really does not do anything.

next time there is a thunderstorm, put a feather 10ft from you in the garden and try blow it witha straw.........yea, exactly, impossible.

Then we get into tumble created as air passes the inlet valve/s, not to mention turbulant effects inside the inlet tract.............

;)

hell, id accept sponsorship form the gay society and race a pink car if they wanted me to, as long as i get to race!

In reply to your topic above :-

Yes putting a feather 10 ft away in a storm will not move if you blow it, but the storm will be blowing it.. just like a vacuum does in the plenum chamber. I agree that they dont disturb the air, but they add just enough to equal out the engines over fuelling.

Ste

I had already bought one for my old car and it worked well so when I sold the car I removed the Ecotek valve. I fitted the valve almost as soon as I got the 172 but wasnt really satisfied with the brakes(although the valve was fitted tightly) so I removed it. Then I noticed some lover mpg and different throttle response(notice different, not better or worse) so I fitted it again. Not sure whether Im going to remove it or have it on longer now.

you think?

Cant say I can see why they are needed, one of those things that cant be all good, nothing in the world gives you better mpg, lower emissions and better response without ANY drawbacks.

Maybe thats just the synic in me?

Quote: Originally posted by Dagowly on 11 April 2003

In reply to your topic above :-

Yes putting a feather 10 ft away in a storm will not move if you blow it, but the storm will be blowing it.. just like a vacuum does in the plenum chamber. I agree that they dont disturb the air, but they add just enough to equal out the engines over fuelling.

Ste
Exactly, now say you are blowing the feathers on a tree 10ft away, the tree being the engine. Now, will your blowing have any effect nope!

Not even on your slightly rich mixture, cause it aint. Simply because for the valve to work at a vacuum when your at full throttle, thre is no vacuum, relative pressure differential yes, but there is more than enough being supplied by the TB.

The Jinx

Have got one that used to be on a Xsara, and gave a recorded 10% improvement in mpg. Thats the avge improvement over the year I had it.

Could never decide whether it affected the brakes or not. They were shot when I got rid, but that could be down to them not having much left on the pads.

Clio 197

The Ecotek is a con. Nothing more. There is no way it works. If it worked every F! car would sport a bank of them. Or the FIA would ban them, one or the other.

It is just a vacuum leak jazzed up!

Come on guys! Use your heads!