ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone Gone From a Mk1 172 too a Mk2 172 Cup?

As above, thinking of a change and the a Cup may be an option. Would be interested to hear you views and opionions.

Cheers

Arran

I've considered changing to a cup...

If driven sensibly like Marks is then the lack of ABS aint a problem!

ST
Sorry you guys must excuse me i've just bought a full fat 182 (pick it up on monday).....so i think i'm better than everyone who drives a cup ;)

Disclaimer: Joke BTW, i'm coming from a 1.2 16v dynamique.

I am want a change from my Mk1 172, dad wants to have it!!! What do I get next dont really want to spend the earth? Help please. dont want to spend more than 9k!

182BG
abs-no abs- gotta be careful in this weather with either! ;)

if you have got 9k to spend then go for a 182 with cup pacls

renaultsport clio 182
i wont change my phase1 172 for any phase2 172/182,phase1 is the original 172 and best imo of course.

ST
billy172 said:
i wont change my phase1 172 for any phase2 172/182,phase1 is the original 172 and best imo of course.

I must disagree as IMO the original and best N/A reno hot hatch was the Williams.....

182BG
16vClio said:
I must disagree as IMO the original and best N/A reno hot hatch was the Williams.....

maybe, but he said out of the 172/182 ;)

anyway, i would go for the 172 cup, real drivers car! lol but of course im biased

306 TD Slut
when i was looking to buy a mk1 172 / cup i test drove a mk1 172, i wasnt impressed at all, didnt get the feeling i got when driving my 106 gti, it felt to big and bulky and not very responsive. i test drove the cup (which i have now) and i loved it. and fell in love with it when i saw it. felt responsive and alot easier to throw around(so to speak).

IMO

172 Cup
Right here we go.. Having owned a MK2 1.6 16v, a MK1 172, a MK2 172, a MK2 172cup and a 182 with both cup packs, I think that I am in a better than average position to comment.

First the MK1 1.6 16v - Seemed to be lacking in the power and performance front. Having come from another 1.6 16v, not a Renault, it did not do all that I thought it would.

Then there was the MK1 172 - What a top car. Loads of power, well specked, nice seats, branded wheels and the alloy bonnet, Renault were thinking of us in those days.

Then there was the MK2 172 - To be totally truthful, a bit of a let down. all that was good in the MK 1 striped away. OK so they gave us cruse control and a speed limiter, esp and climate controls instead of air-condition. But it was just a shame that they had to fix something that was not broken.

Now the MK2 172cup - Now the only way to look at this car is as something completely different to the others. It is a hooligan. Ok it is the newer shape but that is pretty much all that it shares. No esp, no abs, no air con you get the idea.

And finally the 182 - Here we have all the toys in a car that now has the history of having a hooligan in the family. It has nice alloys, good ride and handling a bit of refinery but with the hint of nutter lurking in the background.

So what would I have. Well I drive a 172cup and the wife has a 182.

This is all just my opinion it is not intended to start a Mines better then Yours row.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good summary above. The cup is harder to live, due to the lack of creature comforts and the differences are quite small between a 182 but some how it still feels much more of a drivers car. If you know how to drive you won't miss the abs or esp and you feel slightly more incontrol, but if you are one of those people who just slam on the brakes! Forget it, say hello to a ditch imao than buy a 182! All great fun either way you look at it.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/report.php?p=1211283

the reason i didnt go for the cup was i wasnt prepared to spend that amount of money on a car and NOT have leather interior and climate control etc.

get the cup lots of fun and who needs ABS as most people who have them can't drive anyway . just look at the amount that crash everyday . as there aint that many cups left you dont see to many crashing . oops i have done it now . lol

306 TD Slut
its a shame that so many cups are smashed up, they are lovely cars. the way i look at it is. its a real shame about people not driving them properly, but the more that are smashed up.. the rarer mine becomes.. i came from a 106 gti which was quick for what it was, i had it RR'd at 148 bhp and i loved it but i dont car about losing the abs and leather interior when moving to the cup. i love it.

billy172 said:

Have you ever driven a mark 2 172, 182 or a Cup? Standard Vs standard the Cup runs rings round a mark 1 for handling and is also faster.