ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got a static ip address with aol?

Astra CDTI SRI
Just wasted 20 mins on the phone to India.

I need a static ip address so that I can connect to my works vpn.

Anyone got a static ip address via aol?

The "Tech support" guy in India, who obviously didn't have a fecking clue what I was on about, say's that aol do not give out static ip's.

But I find that hard to believe.

500bhp Scoob
I don't think there is many ISP's in the UK that offer totally static IP's.

I know mine is semi static, as the modem is always plugged in, and connected. had the same IP for over a year with Blueyonder.

I know with some ISP's they will charge extra just to have a static ip.

Lee

BMW M2C
I pay an extra pound a month for mine with Plusnet. I'll be leaving them soon!

Surely they can configure it so you don't need a static address to VPN in. We don't do that here as people need to VPN in from different locations.

Astra CDTI SRI

I know mine is semi static, as the modem is always plugged in, and connected. had the same IP for over a year with Blueyonder.

Yeah, mine is prolly the same as yours, the router is always on, so the ip address should be that same etc.

Just thinking if there was a power cut, router goes down, someone else pinches the ip, etc.

Prolly just have to go with the way it is.

Astra CDTI SRI
I pay an extra pound a month for mine with Plusnet. I'll be leaving them soon!

Surely they can configure it so you don't need a static address to VPN in. We don't do that here as people need to VPN in from different locations.

I want to do a lan to lan via ipsec on the routers so that I can see the whole network etc. Basically so that my house is an extension on the lan.

Is that what your setup is like?

Lee

BMW M2C

Yeah, mine is prolly the same as yours, the router is always on, so the ip address should be that same etc.

Just thinking if there was a power cut, router goes down, someone else pinches the ip, etc.

Prolly just have to go with the way it is.

That shouldn't matter as they would need the VPN client install before they could connect, even if they knew what they were connecting to.

If you have a genuine VPN setup you have a client install to go on your machine. That way if you have a laptop for example, you can connect to your network from anywhere. The need for the same IP address would stop that being possible.

I don't have a massive amount to do with it here, but we have a Cisco PIX Firewall which does ours.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Im using a static IP with Plusnet

Been very good so far!

Good customer support
The static IP is totally free
and im only on a monthly contract :D

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
odd both my ISPs have always had static ips, ukonline and naims,

I doubt AOL will let you have a static - I doubt they even know what IP is.

A lot of ADSL suppliers will let you have as many as you can justify (4, 8, 16 block) Business ISPs often more.. (Easynet etc..)