ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone here a windows wizard?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Every day I use a Windows PC (which, is every day) I thank the sweet lord for my Mac.

Basically, the Gaming PC I have has decided it doesn't want to boot up now. I get the "Welcome" screen for a long time then just a black screen with a curser. Nothing works at all, no key presses, no mouse clicks etc. All I can do is restart.

The computer will boot into safe mode, but thats about all I can do. I haven't changed a thing, installed anything, deleted anything, no driver updates etc. It's just decided, in typical microsoft fashion, to break out of the blue. Only thing I know is that last week I had a few "Blue screen of death" incidents whilst playing F1 2017.

So, is it new hardware time? And by that, I mean buy a second mac for games that I can bootcamp windows from? Running Windows 7, ironically because I found 10 too unstable. With an SSD, GTX960, 16GB ram etc. if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

DCi
if you remove your gfx card and connect monitor to onboard vga (if you have it...) does it boot to normal windows?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Was the Windows installation a clean one? Or one that came pre-built with the PC - with a million-and-one bits of manufacturer specific app crap?

I really wouldn't be using a Mac for high-end gaming. Low-end stuff, maybe. But don't expect to be playing the likes of BF1 in high detail.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^ What @Darren S said.

I would also recommend sticking with Win10 (maybe a completely fresh install). Teh WinH4t3rz will never believe me but Win10, in terms of what it does and how it does it, is significantly better than Win7 across the board (ignoring the UI side of things as this is very much subjective). If you're prepared to pay big money for a top-of-the-range Mac then perhaps consider a top-end Win10 gaming PC instead and potentially save some money, too.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thanks for the replies people.

The install was a fresh Windows 7 install onto a brand new hard drive. I did try Windows 10 for a bit, but found it to be a bit buggy. I actually think now that was to do with my overclock and/or my Asus Wifi card which I've since replaced. Anyway...

I have managed to fix it. Weirdly, I used the jumper on the motherboard to reset the CMOS. Since then, it's worked fine. If I try and overclock it, it just won't boot up now, I get "overclock failed". So I'm thinking for whatever reason, the overclock was causing it? (Even though I tried removing the overclock first and it didnt work, maybe the full CMOS reset properly cleared it).

Anyway, all good for now. But something isnt quite right and when I have time I'll do more digging with your suggestions!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
As it's now behaving itself I would definitely recommend trying windows 10 again. It really isn't hard to get used to and runs like a dream on a half decent pc.