ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone ran staggered tyre types on track (slicks front/R compound rear)

Can get hold of a new pair of Toyo RS1 slicks (GG compound) cheap and was wondering if anyone had ran slicks up front and R compound tyres at the rear? The rears will be Pirreli Trofeo R's which are pretty much a cut slick anyway, all 4 tyres are 205/50/15. I would purchase a full set of slicks but he only has the 2 available.

Thoughts?

The Toyo's...
Proxes-RS1-285650R18.jpg

The Pirelli's...
pirelli-p-zero-trofeo-r.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I haven't personally but spoke to a chap with a mk1 golf with a 350bhp VXR engine in it and he ran slicks up front and R888 GG's on rear as he was worried about not getting slicks up to temp, he liked the balance like that for his application

personally I've never had a n issue with lively back end with slicks, seem to get the temp into them fine, but realise this isn't the choice you have with what your looking at so i'd say suck it and see tbh

I haven't personally but spoke to a chap with a mk1 golf with a 350bhp VXR engine in it and he ran slicks up front and R888 GG's on rear as he was worried about not getting slicks up to temp, he liked the balance like that for his application

personally I've never had a n issue with lively back end with slicks, seem to get the temp into them fine, but realise this isn't the choice you have with what your looking at so i'd say suck it and see tbh
Yeah @JamesBryan has mates who've ran similar set ups on their track Meganes. I've ran track tyres up front and road tyres at the rear without issue but I know I'll be going quicker with slicks so will be different.

Gonna take a punt, if it gets to hairy I'll just throw the slicks on the rear.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Yeah I’ve ran different front to rear at Anglesey because I could get any heat in the rear. Soft hankook rally tyres on the front. Michelin p2g wets in the back because that’s the only thing that could get up to temp

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Difference on slicks is quite something from what I’ve seen.

Always fancied a blast for the lolz but never did :/

Yeah he has some real bargains, and he gets good reviews apart from mine as this is the fella who sold me the Direzza's where the bead was damaged, return was very simple though and these slicks SHOULD be fine being new.

Bloody hell, wonder what's caused that. Is it the coilpack again?
Not sure mate, probably a lose connection somewhere as it happened straight after I spun the wheels up with TC on by accident causing wheel hop. Spoke with Carl who's confident its just a lose connector or something...we'll see.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Quite a few Megane guys run V70 rears and a Slick up front. V70's are Mega but just dont last on the front axle of the Megane, Can easily do a pair of new ones in a day.

Guy selling the slicks has quite a few sets, he just didn't enter how many he had in the quantity option. Just ordered another set so will be on full slicks for Oulton now. Lets just hope its dry, as my Rainsport 3's have seen better days.

That means I will have a few track tyres for sale...2 x 205/50/15 Pirelli Trofeo R's and 2 x 195/50/15 Yoko AD08's. Will get a FS thread going or PM if interested.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Guy selling the slicks has quite a few sets, he just didn't enter how many he had in the quantity option. Just ordered another set so will be on full slicks for Oulton now. Lets just hope its dry, as my Rainsport 3's have seen better days.

That means I will have a few track tyres for sale...2 x 205/50/15 Pirelli Trofeo R's and 2 x 195/50/15 Yoko AD08's. Will get a FS thread going or PM if interested.

Bloody hell, the slick boys will be out in force haha

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be taking the morning to get used to them first, if its dry that is. Has your John used slicks before? Who else is on them?

No, will be his first time like you if it's dry.

Our mate Jon with the Silver Megane will be on them or race wets.

You'll need to heat cycle them being new as well i would have thought. Get them up to temp and then let them fully cool.

No, will be his first time like you if it's dry.

Our mate Jon with the Silver Megane will be on them or race wets.

You'll need to heat cycle them being new as well i would have thought. Get them up to temp and then let them fully cool.
Could really do with heat cycling them at least the day before but how do you go about that on the road, lol. Got a big oven heater for heating frozen chemicals in work, will just bang them in there for an hour or so...similar to what Toyo now do.

http://toyotires.com.au/toyo-blog/497-using-semi-slicks-part-1-scrubbing-in

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Got them up to 70c using the industrial oven and IR heat gun to check the surface temp, but think they will need another cure with the oven turned up once cooled. As to the touch they just didn't feel as hot as a few laps around a race track. I could get the R888's to a point where you'd burn your hand, these where hot but not so hot where I had to pull my hand off them, I need something in-between.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Got them up to 70c using the industrial oven and IR heat gun to check the surface temp, but think they will need another cure with the oven turned up once cooled. As to the touch they just didn't feel as hot as a few laps around a race track. I could get the R888's to a point where you'd burn your hand, these where hot but not so hot where I had to pull my hand off them, I need something in-between.

Bet people were wondering what you were doing with tyres in the oven haha

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I was chasing a Citroen xsara around Mallory with slicks up front and budget tyres on the rear. He soon lost the back end around Gerard’s once the slicks here upto Temp 😂

I’m tempted by slicks up front so watching how these toyo slicks perform :up:

Interesting advice purely because it's very different to that of Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin & Avon which suggests that maybe construction/stiffness/curing is quite different from the "mainstream" brands.

Though I do note the article is a joint piece with a tyre shop who by pure coincidence can sell you a pre-heating service in their new/expensive looking tyre oven :smile:

Regardless I'm sure you'll be stunned by them compared to boggo trackday tyres and will be on the hunt for stiffer spring/damper options by lunch time!

Also if worried about rear temps just run a lower pressure to promote heat generation through carcass movement & mechanical grip. More toe is another very common tool to increase temps. Obviously all have their respective handling impacts.

Last edited:
Interesting advice purely because it's very different to that of Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin & Avon which suggests that maybe construction/stiffness/curing is quite different from the "mainstream" brands.

Though I do note the article is a joint piece with a tyre shop who by pure coincidence can sell you a pre-heating service in their new/expensive looking tyre oven :smile:

Regardless I'm sure you'll be stunned by them compared to boggo trackday tyres and will be on the hunt for stiffer spring/damper options by lunch time!

Also if worried about rear temps just run a lower pressure to promote heat generation through carcass movement & mechanical grip. More toe is another very common tool to increase temps. Obviously all have their respective handling impacts.
Running AST's and 9kg front/11kg rear springs, near 3 degrees of front camber and RARB so I should be able to really lean on the slicks. If dry the morning will just be to understand the tyre before really pushing on in the afternoon.... If confident that is.

My old worn 888s where really letting down the handling potential last time out, so hoping these can get more out the current set up.

Last edited: