ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone remember me??

hello

im thinking about returning to clio ownership for some uber cheap motoring.

so im looking at getting a 2003ish DCI..

whats the best one to go for? immediately id assume the 100 but looking on here people seem to think the gearbox is weak, or is it just people saying that to justify not owning one?

so id then assume the 80 is the best way to go??

thanks

Shed.
Yep remember being in Dan's 1.4 with your Vx220 caining it down that road lol. You were in front ..... and then we lost you because you were too fast.

Sorry mate, I don't remember you:eek: I see you have vxt though, i'm getting on next:cool:

last05.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I had an 80.

Brilliant car for UK roads tbh.

Drive slow and it'd do 70+ mpg. Drive as fast as it'd go and it would get 40mpg minimum. Lowest I got was 30mpg and that was on the Nurburgring.

You could drive it at 100mph for hours (which was nearly 4k rpm) and it would be fine.

That said I'm not sure everyone who has one is as lucky as me, and they're meant to be very expensive to put right if they do go wrong.

oh and after a remap do the clutches die easily??

I have a simple answer to that.

If you want it to go much faster than the standard setup, don't buy one. To quote Matt Black, remapping the dci's is like playing with knives. Though I would say it's more like playing with double edged kitchen knives without handles.

I had nothing but trouble when I remapped mine, it went pretty quick though. Luckily it reverted back to the super reliable guise when I had it put back to standard.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Alright fella!

Long time no speak!

Met you on the Lakes run years ago when i had the silver 172 and you had the 182. I see the VX has come on a little. ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Oh yeah, i forgot about that... i re-hosted it on YT

I'm behind you with Anni in most of the vid. :)

[youtube]AFM0DXFsiOs[/youtube]

I have a simple answer to that.

If you want it to go much faster than the standard setup, don't buy one. To quote Matt Black, remapping the dci's is like playing with knives. Though I would say it's more like playing with double edged kitchen knives without handles.

I had nothing but trouble when I remapped mine, it went pretty quick though. Luckily it reverted back to the super reliable guise when I had it put back to standard.

advice noted!

would you say its better to get the 100?
i noticed the 80s seem a lot more common and hence cheaper/easier to find.

Clio 172
hello, i don't know you because i'm new. i was just curious though, why if you've got a vx220 are you getting a diesel clio? second car?

Burgandy 174 sport t
Was lookin through pics of my cadwell trackday a few yrs back and wondered where u dissappeared too. Vx cetainly looks to have come a long way! I remember when u bought it!

hello, i don't know you because i'm new. i was just curious though, why if you've got a vx220 are you getting a diesel clio? second car?

i like collecting cars.. not really its a bit hectic at the moment though.

the vx220 is sat in my garage damaged
i have a 2007 lotus elise courtesy car
i also have an old renault megane cab shed that i use for work (looking to replace with clio as the megane drinks fuel and is relatively expensive to tax/insure)
and we have a 2008 tigra for the mrs.

Clio 172

i like collecting cars.. not really its a bit hectic at the moment though.

the vx220 is sat in my garage damaged
i have a 2007 lotus elise courtesy car
i also have an old renault megane cab shed that i use for work (looking to replace with clio as the megane drinks fuel and is relatively expensive to tax/insure)
and we have a 2008 tigra for the mrs.

ooo, interesting mate. sounds like a few nice cars at your place then. i think a clio will finish the collection off just right!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
advice noted!

i noticed the 80s seem a lot more common and hence cheaper/easier to find.

100 has a reputation for going through gearboxes. I think that's it's main weakness, depends if that bothers you really.

The 80 has a JC5 gearbox (from the 172), so a bit better but not great.

I'd say the 80 is better for thrashing about, whilst the 100 will be better if you generally drive slow but want a comfortable amount of power to overtake when you want.

Think im going for the 80 then. they are alot more common than the 100 so cheaper..

anyone able to list the differences between the expression/ dynamique etc??

want one with climate control too as it was good in the 182.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The 80 is far from common, but then I think there are usually more Ferrari F430's for sale on Autotrader than DCI 100's.

Climate control was an option, so it'll be a good find if you get an 80 with CC.

Good luck hunting though and enjoy the pretty much free tax, I'm sure you don't look forward to the renewal on the VX...:approve:

Dynamique has alloys, computer, 182 cup seats (so s**t basically;)) among other things, but you want that one not the Expression.

whats the best one to go for? immediately id assume the 100 but looking on here people seem to think the gearbox is weak, or is it just people saying that to justify not owning one?

so id then assume the 80 is the best way to go??
There no best the 65 or 80 are good though. I'd keep away form the 100 as its gearbox isn't great and is weak.
oh and after a remap do the clutches die easily??
Depends how you drive and how strong the remap is etc.
nope 80 as the box is nicer to use and more reliable by loads.
well thank you!

ive decided after years of spending a fortune on cars.. to try uber cheap motoring!
Good luck hope you enjoy it you'll save a fair bit by the sounds of it vs what you have now just make sure you get a good one as problems can be expensive.

Welcome back Guy!

I'd say the 65. I had one and it was awesomely cheap to run. My dad has the 80 and he was getting 10-15mpg less that I was. Just recently sold my billabong version with climate control etc.

What happened to the VX?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
welcome back. i love your vx remeber seeing it at pvs. i also was speaking to a lad you know a while ago when i sold him some pro race 1.2s for his supercharged type r

Welcome back Guy!

I'd say the 65. I had one and it was awesomely cheap to run. My dad has the 80 and he was getting 10-15mpg less that I was. Just recently sold my billabong version with climate control etc.

What happened to the VX?

justin it got crashed into recently from behind.. just had it confirmed 14.3k worth of damage..