ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone went from a 172 to a type R

very different cars, my dad had one and i got to drive it quite alot, similar performance,lower spec in terms of toys, awesome gearbox and screamer of an engine, better residual values but a very different drive

2005 Impreza WRX STI

its just ive alwasys liked type r but cant get insured? i drove my bosses today n felt miles better than my 172! quicker and just all round a better car! IMO

my mate has a ctr have driven it quite alot seems to be more of a cruising car and his is quicker than mine with only a backbox on must have a good one. would like a ctr but just seem to be able to have more fun in mine

Suzuki SV1000S

You see. I think the Type-r Clio debate is completely, Personal opinion. I drove a Type-r Before I bought the Cup and found it no where near as fun. I was all set to buy the Type-r But then the 172 Cup came out and the drive was sooooo much more fun. But after going back to the mk1 172 I would never change to either car. Next one will have to be better than both.. IMO

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i was thinkin of getting one next but i dont no whether theres a big enough gap in performance for me! they are quicker IMO lol..... but my next car i want to feel realy fast! prob have to look at a turbo!decisions decisions! wont be for a while mind but i like to think ahead! :D

2005 Impreza WRX STI

best of both worlds haha.

tell u what tho!...my brakes were better than the ctr and possibly the handling but didn really get to test it much as its an airfield!

but mine got coilovers n 310mm discs so may have somethin to do with it!lol

Clio 200 Cup

I had a 12/2001 Type R from new and changed to a Cupd 182 in late September04 so now a little about the cars youre talking about.

CTR was great flat out, a giant killer on track and totally reliable until I hit 46,000 miles. Also looked great (esp in Milano Red), sounded great, had loads of room and a generous 3yr warranty.

However, 182 is quicker cross-country courtesy of a better ride/handling balance. Also nippier round the lanes as it generally stays in contact with the road. Motorway-wise, although 10mph down at the top end (mine had 213bhp so ran a true - timed - 150), I reckon youd make up the difference on any run over 200miles because youd have to stop then in the CTR to fill it up..whereas the Clio would keep going for another 80 miles or so.

I also like the Q-car-ish look - doesnt attract as much "attention" from Mr.Plod.

Depends what you want. I was worried about "downsizing" but am now pleased I made the change. Nothing in it until you are highly illegal performance-wise but for the feel overall and on the road, Clio wins.

If however, your wheels spend loads of time on track, CTR might be worth a closer look..because of the manic Vtec and adjustable back end (put one on Toyos and take it to Anglesey and youll see why!!!).

Heres some stats. Performance form Autocar, my mpg and insurance figs. CTR price to include a/con and fogs.

Figs 182 CTR

£ 14700 18000

mph 138 146

60 6.3 6.7

100 17.0 16.2

mpg 28.3 21.2 (av over 46k miles)

ins 400 600

Cheers,

JWW

Porsche Boxster

i had a 172 for about 6 months (got written off thou - thank you bus driver!) and ive now bought a type r and have had it for almost 2 months....... here are my thoughts.

pound for pound the clio is much better value. i mean where can u get a 172bhp car for so little money. i bought my 172 (2002, monaco blue) for £7k!! thats as much as i paid for my focus when i bought that a few years b4.

anyway, my clio got written off and my insurance company paid me out 8k (dont asky me how or why!i assume the market value had gone up) so i had 8k in my hand and was consdiering buying another clio. i really did enjoy my time with it but i decided to go out and test drive a few cars (focus st170,corolla t sport,ctr,182)

anyway, after my leghthy test drive (thank u epping honda - top ppl!) in a ctr that was it really. Im the sort of person who likes a change, so I guess i saw this as my ideal opportunity and tbh i havent looked back since. i always wanted a ctr, but could never afford one.

Agreed the clio has better feel when steering. feels more direct with better weight, but i never really got on too well with the rather large steering wheel. I always liked the clios seats and never found the driving position to be that bad either (althou im not that tall so maybe thats why)

If you jump in a civic after sitting in a clio, the driving position is better, the steering wheel is a nice size and the seats are slightly more "bolstered" (is that the right word?) at the sides so hold u in a bit better.

Inside, you get more toys with the clio - climate control, 6 stack cd, xeons etc etc. I bought my ctr second hand for 9.3k, and it had a/c an uprated mp3 headunit with 6stack in the boot, so i didnt really feel like i was missing much bar the climate control.

now the most imporant bit. driving.......
off the line there really is nothing in it. both cars have stupid amounts of power going through the front wheels and it is hard to get it all down without spinnnig the wheels. The clio is easier to drive fast, the CTR is more demanding if u want it to go quickly as you have to keep it in the vtec if u want max performance. It really is very addictive the shve u get when the needle reaches about 5500 rpm. Clio had a little kick in it at about 5k. it feels simlar to that but much more pronounced and the engine note really is fantastic! i know you hear a lot of ppl slating the ctr saying it is slow when its not in the vtec (5500 - 8200 rpm) i really dont know wot they r talking about, its still very quick and you can see off most cars without ragging it quite easily, just like u can in the clio.

Everyone who I have taken out in both cars has said the CTR feels faster than the clio. i dont know, cos to me that both feel very fast. i will say that vtec in the ctr in 2nd and 3rd really can be quite scary if ur blasting down a country lane, but its a real hoot!

at the end of the day, the car is only going to be as good as the driver is. 0-60 there would be nought in it really, but after this the ctr does feel quicker. im pretty sure that in gear acceleration is quicker in the ctr (providing ur in vtec of course!)

personally im glad i had a change and bought the ctr. the modding potential is huge (if ur into that sort of thing). a supercharger (about 2.5/3k) will see u close to 300bhp. ive already added an exhaust to mine, and it pops and bangs like a proper jap car! i hardly listen to my radio these days. i had a magnex on the clio and it sounded good too, but the custom one i have on the ctr now really is one of the best things i have ever heard!

the ctr is more to buy, run and insure
im 23 now, 2years NCD (pending!)
clio cost me £840 inc my mods
ctr cost me clost to £1k inc mods.

fuel consumption is a little worse. (My run to work is 20 miles. bit of town/dual carriage way and country lanes).....both have 50 litre tanks. i would see about 360 miles out of a tank on the clio (about 35mpg), and about 320/330 (about 32mpg) out of the ctr, so its not that much worse. on the motorway i managed 42mpg out of both the ctr and the clio!
if i was really that worried about fuel consumption i would have bought a diesel.

One other thing that I really love about the CTR is the gearbox..... it really is a proper bit of kit. the gears are stacked nice a close together (althou this does mean a fair bit of stick stering sometimes) and the actual throw of the gearstick is perfect! I havent driven anything that comes close imho.

I havent really had the ctr long enuff to gauge its relability, but so far no problems bar a fuel cap realse problem which was easy to fix. I had a few probs on the clio. gearbox clocking when selecting 1st, weird high pitched noise coming from under the bonnet and also from the climate control. Only had the squeak and rattle which never really bothered me. Only thing i wasnt really that happy with was the fact i could quite easily rip out the whole plastic centre console with my hands!

The ctr does feel more solid in terms of build quality, but then you would expect that seeing as the car is more to start with!

looks wise, its all down to personal preference! I like both cars and had a REALLY hard time choosing between them. my ctr is black and althou it is a pain in the ass to keep clean ppl do look a lot more. i have even had ppl come up to me and start talking to me about my car while filling up at petrol stations. i never got that with the clio. I personally really like the look of the CTR, but then ive always wanted one and am bound to say that! I have always felt tho u that the clio styling is a little understated for a hot hatch. I have to look twice to see if a clio really is a 172/182.

last and by no means least...... dealers. Never got on with the clio dealers. My most local one was Ilford (total sh*te. dont think they know the meaning of the word customer service) Renault Romford didnt seem so bad thou althou always had lengthy waiting times if i ever wanted my car looked at

Hondas customer service is on another level. I had a problem with my fuel cap (the relase wasnt working properly) Anyway, they told me to just pop it into them the next day at 11 and a technican would fix it. no hassle, no waiting no problem. In the end I managed to fix it myself (was something silly! just had to push the metal bit on the fuel cap a cm or so and now it works perfectly)

so to sum up........... depends which u prefer lol. helpful i know. My best advice to you if you are considering a change is go and drive one, thats the only real way to tell as everyones perception of cars is different.

Sorry ive rambled on for so long! hope it is of some help
cheers
Mike

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I went from MK2 172 > CTR > MK1 172 think its all been said above. Only reason I got rid of the CTR was I started to do loads of miles and I couldnt justify running a new car doing loads of miles....depreciation nightmare! And MPG wasnt great compared to the 172.

I would have another no problem only it would have a Gruppe M air box and Hondata ECU in Reg with Mugen rear wing and bonnet! :devilish: (one day!)

Tappd'd RS

mpg on the CTR is much worse, ive never actually calculated how little I get, but 25 mpg cant be far off im sure.

I got 34 mpg on the 172cup at WORST!

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 01 February 2005

I saw a video of a mk2 172 going round the outside of a ctr on track, quite impressive!
I have that too, but was a mk1 172.

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 01 February 2005

I saw a video of a mk2 172 going round the outside of a ctr on track, quite impressive!
And it was all down to who the better driver was...

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I test drove a ctr then the 182 about an hour later.

£5k saving actually made the difference to me! (£12k 182 import vrs £17k ctr with a/c)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 01 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 01 February 2005

And it was all down to who the better driver was...

Yeah he was in the CTR! ;)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by JEANWARRENE on 31 January 2005

I reckon youd make up the difference on any run over 200miles because youd have to stop then in the CTR to fill it up..whereas the Clio would keep going for another 80 miles or so.
So the 182 is quicker because you have to stop to refuel in the Ctr !!! :p

went from a type r to a 182 6 months ago. i dont think that the cars can be compared as they are two totally different driving experiences. just got rid of the type r at the right time cause they are so common now and all the chavs round my way have them. 182 in racing blue much more of a head turner and better for caning.

Suzuki SV1000S

I think that the CTR and the clios are both good cars, Think you would be wasting your money going form one to the other unless you have money to burn

If you want more space, better reliability, better dealers and build quality (IMHO) buy the CTR, if you want a smaller, better equipted (sp), value for money and dealers with attitude then buy the clio.

Owned both cars, just had a better experience with the Honda (all round) but enjoyed both. I would definatley buy another CTR (looking at the moment) or I am now considering the GTI. Not loaded or anything but I believe you get what you pay for to some extent and I would rather have confidence is a manufacturer over saving money...

Thats my 2ps worth.

tiTTy & SV650

GTI will be common as muck when its out, Type R is more common than 182 too - like to be a little bit original with these things personally. Im sure the golf will be a good car though as is the ctr

rory, agree with you mate. went down the route of trying to be different (172 exclusive) and 2 days later another of the 172 produced drove towards me ... I was devistated...:confused:

The mpg on the CTR was silly that is why I am looking at the GTI, again should be slightly better with all the toys. I loved the MK1 but pratically just need more space.

I am getting on in years now so I looking for comfortable slippers ... which can kick your head in when required..

i have both a CTR and the wife has a Clio 172, and to be honest they are both great cars, the CTR is built better (Jap makes always are) and looks better in black. bigger and more of a car, but then it costs 4 grand more. I love both cars and look forward to driving both.

You cannot compare the two, two different animals and different costs, so as far as what is best, all comes down to money and you get what you pay for!! you can pick up a second hand 911 turbo for 18K same as the honda, and you do not see people comparing the two do you!!

So just enjoy your 172/182 and be happy they only cost £14K and that you have not got a Citroen or that new Ford sporty thing....

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by KeithO on 04 February 2005

rory, agree with you mate. went down the route of trying to be different (172 exclusive) and 2 days later another of the 172 produced drove towards me ... I was devistated...:confused:

The mpg on the CTR was silly that is why I am looking at the GTI, again should be slightly better with all the toys. I loved the MK1 but pratically just need more space.

I am getting on in years now so I looking for comfortable slippers ... which can kick your head in when required..

Yeah sh_t happens eh! Well only those in the know will appreciate good cars. my 182s just a girly clio apparently... my mate was in it and said hmm its not very fast (as I pulled away slowly to avoid embaressing wheelspin!). Hes used to a 1.2 clio so I showed him what fast was all about.

My dad bought an Astra Coupe, he loved humiliating BMWs etc in it but then he came home and said "thats it Im getting a new car" turned out the suspension was too harsh lol

I hoped hed come home with a big turbod saab or audi, bloody laguna doh (not all that bad, lots of nice features and v comfy)

Quote: Originally posted by Clarkie172 on 31 January 2005

i was thinkin of getting one next but i dont no whether theres a big enough gap in performance for me! they are quicker IMO lol..... but my next car i want to feel realy fast! prob have to look at a turbo!decisions decisions! wont be for a while mind but i like to think ahead! :D
I had exactly the same dilema, I had a 172 CUP, I needed the next car to be noticable quicker for the extra cash and the CTR just isnt. I went for the Focus RS which is definatly quicker, My advice if you have money would be to go 4wd, scooby or something. on anything other than perfect dry ground, if I nail it in anything below third it wheelspins and finds it difficult to get any traction.