ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone who has ditched their spare wheel

I am getting a new backbox soon and am thinking of a twin exit job.

Just a bit worried about losing the spare wheel in case I get a flat. (not that I ever have but I would probably be temting fate)

Anyway convince me please ;)

Word of warning - if you are going to do this, make sure your breakdown coverage is valid. Mine wasnt and it cost me £300 to join, get resuced and have the tyre replaced. There was also a surcharge for not having a spare wheel. I had 2 cans of foam with me, but not much use when the whole sidewall has been sliced off!

Rhys

Not had a puncture in my old clio which i had for 6 years... then picked up my new 172, one week... got a F***** puncture..

B******!!

Darent go out without a spare..

clio 20v

only ever had 1 puncture and that was in me astra and then it waited till id got home before it went down all the way

couldnt have got me spare out anyway without spending an hour dismantling the install

worse bit is the embarassment of driving round on 3 big alloys and 1 little skinny wheel

BMW 320d Sport

AA cover and a can of foam does me. Theres no legal requirement to carry a spare tyre so the AA cant moan if you dont have one. Well they can but they wont get far! Spare wheels are for losers.

CTR EK9 turbo

the tyre fitters hate that foam stuff! i was talking to a guy who fit tyres and he was moaning about having to clean it all from the inside of the infected wheel - cant see it being a problem as you dont/cant see it if its on the inside!?

I got a spare alloy in the boot, does anyone have one of those stupid space savers (trailor wheels)? My mums celica has a tiny useless space saver "no not exceed 15 mph" great

Im all foam and no wheel myself. The weight saving can only help, but also the sound of the exhaust is class - louder without the tyre and cardboard boot floor in the way.

I carry a spare........although as i have 17"s my 15" spare isnt that usefull!!!

Also even if i got a puncture my locking wheel nut key is at home so i wouldnt be able to change the wheel on site anyway!?!?!

WHY THE FNCK AM I CARRYING THAT EXTRA WEIGHT FOR NOTHING!?!?!?

Time to remove me spare wheel methinks!! Hmmm time for some tire foam!!

Never ever get rid of it! I left mine at home and went driving round one night, managed to get about 60miles from home and i got a flat, problem was didnt realise stright away as it was a back tyre and didnt effect my handling, the tyre was then f**ked so cudnt use foam or anything like that, the next part of my adventure involved getting a new tyre, but at 11pm not many places are open and the other problem being stuck in the middle of nowere! ALMOST sleept in my car until a long phone call to my dad, ive learned my lesson this time, dont ever get rid of it!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Ben P on 05 March 2003

I am getting a new backbox soon and am thinking of a twin exit job.

Just a bit worried about losing the spare wheel in case I get a flat. (not that I ever have but I would probably be temting fate)

Anyway convince me please ;)
Why would you lose your spare by going for a twin exit job?

I was given an RAC breakdown cover card with my imported 172 and told by the useless sh*teheads at Bentleys of Sheffield that it had breakdown cover. It didnt. Kept the spare in the car since then, though!

viceroy, some of the twin exit exhausts through the centre of the bumper require the box to be in the position where the spare tyre is located. Therefore you either lose the spare or reposition it in the boot.

THE BOZ

I take it once youve used that foam on a tyre no matter how small the puncture, the tyre is then useless and needs to be replaced?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i have been told if u use foam the tyer cant be repaired, also i had a puncture not long ago didnt realise at all drove 15 miles on a flat and it was a front right wheel steering felt heavy going home but that was it, next morning postman comes and says i think u got a flat i look and i had lol, ne way tyer was fixed and no damage to it sept for hole where the screw type thing went in, i have eagle f1 tyers and they say run flat on the sidewall and guess what it works :D

i have the spare under my car but i cant get to it cos of my built in audio install so im stuck really lol.

MalicE

I would just keep the spare somewhere else maybe, but do keep it. Even if its just for peace of mind.

Paul

I have also ditched my spare wheel and got a puncture last week so used my can of tyre foam which took forever to empty into my tyre but seems to have sealed puncture for the moment until i order my 2 new front tyres.

Only problem with ditching spare wheel tho is that when you have shopping / passengers ;) in the boot, they fall through the carpet into the spare wheel bit!!!!! My cardboard carpet mat has been totaly ruined from this!! :mad: