ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple granted patent for touchscreen unlock gestures

BMW E46 330i Touring
I imagine any legal case will be thrown out as it will be considered the only way to unlock a touchscreen with no physical buttons will be via a 'gesture'.

Maybe Apple want to ban anyone else from using touchscreens, as part of their quest for World domination.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Surely most phones have atlas one button if not two? Double press power button to lock. bye bye gesture unlock?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I imagine any legal case will be thrown out as it will be considered the only way to unlock a touchscreen with no physical buttons will be via a 'gesture'.

They have a patent.

If you make a touchscreen phone with no physical buttons then you can't unlock it with a gesture without obtaining a rights to do so from apple, regardless of whether it's obvious or the only way to do it. The simple answer is, put a button on it.

The longer answer is whether or not "others" with a vested interest in this patent can get the patent invalidated on prior art grounds. It also depends on how specific the wording on the patent is. A single patent on it's own compromises how useful it may actually be at protecting your IP.

(PS I'm sure that the unlock gesture is part of the set of patents that Apple will *not* license to any other vendors)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
''The performance of the predefined gesture with respect to the unlock image may include moving the unlock image to a predefined location and/or moving the unlock image along a predefined path''

Could a loophole be; having a puzzle to solve before the phone unlocks?

one of those sliding square images, it could be called a game and unlocking te phone could be a by product of solving the puzzle?

that sounded so much better in my head lol

BMW E46 330i Touring
I suppose all it will really do is force other manufacturers to create more innovative ways to unlock their phones, such as facial or voice recognition.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I suppose all it will really do is force other manufacturers to create more innovative ways to unlock their phones, such as facial or voice recognition.

yearrrrrsss away from that!!!

'unlock phone'
'calling terry'
'unlock phone'
'playing nicki minaj'
'unlock Phone!!!'
'open angry birds'
'ffffffffuuuuuuuuu'

BMW E46 330i Touring
Interesting that you say 'it's done' Revels, but the article suggests that the patent could be invalidated as its too broad, simple or "obvious".

I'd copy and paste from the BBC but it won't let me do it on my iPhone for some reason...

Octy VRS
So now it's got the patent will any phones that have this gesture business have to be updated and it removed?

DB.

BMW 440i
I don't understand how Apple can have this patent when none of their phones use it but Android does?

You don't have to have it to have the patent, you just need the patent. You can then make money off the patent.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Interesting that you say 'it's done' Revels, but the article suggests that the patent could be invalidated as its too broad, simple or "obvious".

I'd copy and paste from the BBC but it won't let me do it on my iPhone for some reason...

They have a problem in that if they choose to try to get the patent invalidated and they lose then they end up strengthening that patent.

I think the only grounds they have for invalidating it is prior art, but that should have prevented it being issued in the first place.

The unlock gesture may seem "obvious" now, but, prior to the iPhone how many other phones do you remember seeing sporting that unlock method?

Personally, software patents suck, but manufacturers whining and crying about them while collecting their own stash of patents just makes the whole thing a big mockery.

You don't have to have it to have the patent, you just need the patent. You can then make money off the patent.

I thought in patent law, you had to use in products what you have patented? Or ultimately risk losing the patent? Whats stopping me from patenting a load of crap in the hope some big company uses it in future? Even though I don't have any software that uses it?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

this!!

It's not to stop other using it, it's to make money from licensing, pure and simple profit based move

Everyone copies Apple at every possible turn. It's hardly surprising they're quite protective of their patents.

Bumder With A Buffer
They have a problem in that if they choose to try to get the patent invalidated and they lose then they end up strengthening that patent.

I think the only grounds they have for invalidating it is prior art, but that should have prevented it being issued in the first place.

The unlock gesture may seem "obvious" now, but, prior to the iPhone how many other phones do you remember seeing sporting that unlock method?

Personally, software patents suck, but manufacturers whining and crying about them while collecting their own stash of patents just makes the whole thing a big mockery.

Nokia 7710.