ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Tv Newbie

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Getting myself a 3rd Gen apple TV for my xmas from the other half.
Been wanting to get an Apple Tv but i have been put off with the fact i know nothing about it or what it actually does.

Been sitting watching some reviews on youtube and so far it looks decent but i am wondering a few things.

1, What is the optical audio and how would i set this up, Would i be able to play my music on my iPhone via Apple tv and have it coming out my TV?
2, Will i need to connect my Apple Tv to my 5th Gen Airport Extreme via eithernet cable or will it connect via wi-fi ?
3, Is it as simple as plugging in the power lead and HDMI cable and its more or less up and running ?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
1. Afraid I'm not sure on the optical audio but mines plugged in with just the hdmi and plays sound through the tv. I presume if your tv played through a sound system it would play through that.

2. It connects via wifi, I occasionally have it drop out for no reason so I have a Ethernet cable on stand by

3. Yep that's it. Just connect it to your wifi and then it's all done for its basic functions, the optical audio stuff might add to it but you don't have to use it.

I love mine for just air playing videos up from my phone. So handy.

Optical is mainly for use with an amp or soundbar (it only carries audio). If you're just plugging it into a tv, the hdmi is enough (carries both audio and visual).

SQ5
1. Optical is there for older AV Recievers, or TV's, that use HDMI 1.0 that doesn't support audio. You can carry full surround down to stereo over the HDMI so just HDMI will be fine. (Don't buy Apple's HDMI, overpriced)

2. Are you using your AirPort Extreme as a router? I would recommend hard wiring, I've had occasional drops on wifi. Much more solid connection with and Ethernet cable.

3. Yes, enter Apple ID and away!

I love mine, we install so many too, at £80 you can have one on every TV in the house.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@DannyR

I have my Virgin media super hub that is now a solid state modem and that runs an Ethernet cable to my AirPort Extreme and acts as my router.
Would i just pop an Ethernet cable from my AirPort Extreme directly into my apple Tv?

Im only getting it as its the only apple device i don't have but yet talk about it all the time even tho i know nothing about it so its all new to me.

As for the HDMI cable i have around 7 of them laying about all different lengths so i won't be buying anymore of them and i also don't have a sound bar or surround sound so i guess i will not be using the optical audio as the TV will be enough.

Mito Sportiva 135
I've got an iPhone 6 and getting an iPad Air 2 soon so been thinking about one of these. I have a good stereo amp connected to my TV so would it just be a case of plugging the HDMI into the amp or the TV?

Cayman S Edition 1
We've got two Apple TV's connected wirelessly to an Apple Airport @ 5Ghz. Always works well and never lags. Also use it for Netflix.

Enjoy it mate:)