ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Applying Wax by hand, not applicator.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Applying wax by hand and not by an applicator is something I have never done - I understand its to do with the foam applicators soaking up certain oils in higher end waxes, but would this really have an effect?

When would/have you applied by hand? I'd like to give it a go, but all my waxes are sub £100.00, so really worth having smelly hands after?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's fun. That's a good enough reason.

It minimizes the risk of marring although it can lead to you applying too much IMO. Damp applicator should help an even and thin application and stop too many of the oils bein soaked up.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not a fan. Tried it a couple of times. Good fun on a slick surface but just wastes wax imo.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Dodo juice is ideal for hand application, their pots seem never ending!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You're getting AF Illusion? Probably a good wax to try it with due to it being soft and oily and spreading extremely well, but I'd still choose a damp applicator than hand.

I've tried it with Zymol Glasur and councours waxes and swissvax shield. Didn't feel like I was gaining anything, took lo ger to do and used far too much over using an applicator.

Interesting to try, but I think it's for someone that really loves to use a wax, not just enjoys waxing as I do.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You do. As Ant said Dodo soft ones are great. Maybe some purple haze.

Good luck washing your hands. ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You do. As Ant said Dodo soft ones are great. Maybe some purple haze.

Good luck washing your hands. ;)

Last time I did it I sprayed a couple of squirts of eraser in my hand then uses swarfega afterwards. My hands usually smell chemically after a detail anyway.

f**k me I just realised how much I'm craving a detail, need to get my ass in gear!!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
You're getting AF Illusion? Probably a good wax to try it with due to it being soft and oily and spreading extremely well, but I'd still choose a damp applicator than hand.

I've tried it with Zymol Glasur and councours waxes and swissvax shield. Didn't feel like I was gaining anything, took lo ger to do and used far too much over using an applicator.

Interesting to try, but I think it's for someone that really loves to use a wax, not just enjoys waxing as I do.

I may do a panel with Illusion then, worth a pop. Wonder if my hands will bead lol

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You laugh, but they will. I spilt some demon shine the other wek end and used the hose on spray to rinse them and they beaded initially.

At least using Illusion, with it being so fool proof with regards to over applying and leaving to cure too long ( I left it 90minutes once ) you won't have too much trouble removing it compared to other waxes.

Mini Cooper S JCW
I apply my soft summer waxes by hand (dodo juice) and winter wax with foam applicator (collinite)
I would agree more wax is used when doing by hand but I just prefer it.

CLIO 182
I apply my soft summer waxes by hand (dodo juice) and winter wax with foam applicator (collinite)
I would agree more wax is used when doing by hand but I just prefer it.

How do you find collinite, Which one have you used.. Im a fan of collinite 845 i used it on my icelle blue evo 4 and to be honest i loved it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I may do a panel with Illusion then, worth a pop. Wonder if my hands will bead lol

They do bead. And you can't get it off lol

found this old pic of when I first did it

18AEE0ED-2978-43AB-B56E-B4A63B47AF6C_zpspznuhnol.jpg

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S JCW
How do you find collinite, Which one have you used.. Im a fan of collinite 845 i used it on my icelle blue evo 4 and to be honest i loved it.

Collinite 476s super double coat, for the price I payed I love it, lasts ages. I'll use it till it's done.