ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Approx cost to get this through an MOT?

Abarth 595
A friend of a friend is looking to sell his 182 that failed an MOT a couple of months ago. instead of fixing the problems he just got a new car on finance. Anyways, he is looking to get rid but I'm just querying how much I could expect to pay to get the below issues fixed, I know its not that straight forward but even a ball park figure would be helpful.

centre Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Headlamp aim too low n/s and o/s (1.8)
Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
Brakes imbalanced across an axle 33% (3.7.B.5b)
nearside front brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
offside front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)
nearside rear Rear wheel bearing has excessive play (2.6.2)
nearside rear Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1)

Was also the following advisories:
nearside Steering rack gaiter deteriorated (2.2.D.2d)
rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit n/s and o/s (4.1.E.1)
rear Brake pipe slightly corroded n/s and o/s (3.6.B.2c)
handbrake reading only just met requirements

renault clio 172
Should be too much £1 for a bulb, front disc and pads will sort the imbalance on front, rear discs will sort rear wheel bearings so best change pads too. Some water for washers i spect a track rod end prob £10 so the brakes will depend on whst quality u go for so somewhere around £150 ish i guess plus 2-3 hours labour

centre Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b) - Probably the spoiler brake light connection, clean it, or the unit itself is around £20
Headlamp aim too low n/s and o/s (1.8) - Adjust yourself with allen keys at night against a smooth wall £FREE
Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3) - Put some fluid in... £FREE
Brakes imbalanced across an axle 33% (3.7.B.5b) - See Below
nearside front brake disc in such a condition that it is seriously weakened (3.5.1i) - Set of discs and pads, £35/40 budget items?
offside front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) - £25 approx for both sides, budget items, may aswell do both
nearside rear Rear wheel bearing has excessive play (2.6.2) - Set of rear discs with built in bearings and some pads - £50 budget items?
nearside rear Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1) - As above

Was also the following advisories:
nearside Steering rack gaiter deteriorated (2.2.D.2d) - £10 or so for a new one
rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit n/s and o/s (4.1.E.1) - Self explanatory
rear Brake pipe slightly corroded n/s and o/s (3.6.B.2c) - Clean them up, sand and paint - £FREE
handbrake reading only just met requirements - New discs and pads should help as above, when they are done, adjust the cables, it's one nut that connects both and tightens them up under the heatshield - £FREE

So if your doing it yourself, £150/£200 there abouts, with all new brakes and track rods with tracking done so it should feel better.

Getting a garage to do it, probably nearer £300-400

ish....

Monaco 172
If the car has good history/belts done and he wants sensible money for a car with no MOT you could be on to a winner there mate! some pretty easy fixes if you do the spannering yourself.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I can't say I've ever failed a brake disc, or seen one that's failed.

Regardless how bad they are, they'd need to be bloody see-through!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I had a geniune Renault disc crack on my old clio after around 8k miles. Though it still looked new, so it wouldn't have failed an mot before it cracked.

Mot tester is probably just seeing wear to the disc and a build up of rust, and concluding it must be weakened.

So if your doing it yourself, £150/£200 there abouts, with all new brakes and track rods with tracking done so it should feel better.

Getting a garage to do it, probably nearer £300-400

ish....

I think £150/£200 is a bit optimistic to be honest. Front Brembo disc and pads can be had for around £60, then Genuine Renault disc and pads with bearings and abs rings are £100 on eBay. Best to also replace the spacers and nuts which will be another £25 or so. With luck this will sort out the braking issue, but it's worth inspecting your calipers as you may have leaky seals. If so this will add to the cost, second hand calipers are fairly cheap though £25-40 maybe.

Track rod ends maybe £10-25 depending on quality, but you'll also end up paying £30-40 for the tracking to be done i suspect, as you can't really do this yourself.

Washer pump may need replacing to sort out the washers, again cheap, £15 or so.

Most MoT stations are happy to adjust the headlight for a few quid, i've had mine done free several times in the past.

I reckon if you don't have any problems with the calipers etc, and do the work yourself your probably looking at about £250, but i'd budget for around £400-500 to sort everything out including the advisories and potential issues you find

Abarth 595
Yeah I was kind of thinking around £500. I don't really know the guy but I assume it must be a decent amount otherwise he would have just had the work done. This will purely be to sell on as my own 182 is fine. All depends how much he wants for this and if its going to be worth the hassle. I'm not all that handy with a spanner so it will all be done by a garage, changing bulbs and oil is about as much as I do.