ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Arctic 182 for Track

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hi!

I did an evening last month and had the same with my brakes and I've never had issues before.

What's your cooling like as I thought that was my issue?

Cheers for the invite ;)

Cup racer ducts pointed roughly at the calipers lol.

We need to do a day together Dan!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Few more from the MSV Photographer

35731308211_5f5c05d592_k.jpg
SR_170710_MSVT_SN_1232 by danfullstop, on Flickr
35693853712_809303791a_k.jpg
SR_170710_MSVT_SN_1720 by danfullstop, on Flickr
35863037515_8cfb10ef70_k.jpg
SR_170710_MSVT_SN_2360 by danfullstop, on Flickr
35822324856_6a26a3ad8c_k.jpg
SR_170710_MSVT_SN_3419 by danfullstop, on Flickr
35863025845_30e07fa775_k.jpg
SR_170710_MSVT_SN_3422 by danfullstop, on Flickr
35863020825_497cb1341e_k.jpg
SR_170710_MSVT_SN_3824 by danfullstop, on Flickr

SQ5
Cheers for the invite ;)

Cup racer ducts pointed roughly at the calipers lol.

We need to do a day together Dan!

I did say to Ali (Richards) that I felt bad you not being there! He conned me into doing it last minute, I booked on at 3:30 and drove to get there in time!

Hmmm. So my brake ducts probably aren't gonna solve issues then? My brakes are quite old, 2500's and brembo HC, I may try the PF97's

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I did say to Ali (Richards) that I felt bad you not being there! He conned me into doing it last minute, I booked on at 3:30 and drove to get there in time!

Hmmm. So my brake ducts probably aren't gonna solve issues then? My brakes are quite old, 2500's and brembo HC, I may try the PF97's

Ah right never mind then, is Ali driving an accord Type R on track? If so that's my mates old car. We should definitely organize a day for the end of Aug/Sept. Get a track day WhatsApp group going or something.

I never thought much of DS2500's on track tbh didnt think they had much bite? I do really stamp on them though, but then I don't really love my RC6's and others love them and I can't find front PF97's anywhere. I may try Pagid Blues when im back from honeymoon but I want some new wheels and tyres first, these RSR's have seen better days, ive had them for over 2 years so they have done well lol.

SQ5
Yea he was, his brakes lasted less than mine!

I currently not trying to do any as need to pay for New York in December so may have an odd evening end of summer.

I loved my DS2500 and never had any issues with them years ago, I dunno if it's because I had no arches before though? Tweeks have PFs in stock. Where you going for honeymoon?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Struggled for months to try and find a place to make me up some Cup Racer style vinyl stickers, apparently no one could be arsed so I took matters into my own hands using the diginate site, designed what I wanted and had them printed.. 2 weeks later and £40 down I had these!

IMG_0326.jpg

DSC_0775.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

Also had abit of maintenance work done to the car recently by @AlexW consisting of a Genuine Cambelt Kit, Dephaser, Waterpump, Timing Correction, Coolant, Goodridge Braided Lines, Motul RBF660 Brake Fluid again, Replacement Front Springs and a set of 421 Catcams. Had it mapped at Engine Dynamics, needed to change the injectors for 197 items as the 182 injectors were at 95% duty, once fitted it made a healthy 193.5 bhp & 164 lb/ft torque! :)

Ran like a dream at Snetterton yesterday, my static db reading even came down 2db so thats a bonus, can't say the car is quieter as a whole though, its still bloody loud.

One of the videos from the day, more on my Youtube page

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Finally decided what tyres to get this this year in the dry, ill be keeping my current RSR's for Damp/Wet as they have a shed load of thread left on them, not the perfect tyre for it by any means but there you go.

Took delivery of my Dunlop DZ03G R1's from Mrtyremotorsport and my Pro Race 1.2's ET38 from Justin @ Rimstock:

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

MOT booked for April 2nd, should be all good! Can finally get it back out on track soon, can't wait.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nice, what made you go with ET38 rather than ET35 ?

Originally because I was going to run 205 tyres like I do on my current set of ET38's, they sit well enough in the arch and I have minimal issues with rubbing and I don’t have to run spacers, however as DZ03G's don't come in R1 compound for 205's I have to run 195's so in the end ET35 would have probably been fine. I can always run spacers if I want to, but I doubt ill bother in honesty.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Fitted a rear strut today, ended up being abit of a nightmare as I messed up the spacing so now I have two extra holes but nevermind :)

31f7a4194b94eedaa9490ce86f318ddc.jpg

Quick driveway pic with the plates and road headlights on:

2537ae547a16d6307f07a293a82f8f90.jpg

fac8efca02f13917688b4884db1e073c.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ended up replacing the old RSR's for AD08R's for the wet/driving to track purely as Kwit FIt had a good deal on them so they ended up being only slightly more expensive than Rainsports. Bring on the 21st for the next track day!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
18mm front & 10mm rear puremotorsport spacers fitted, bring on the rubbing.... probably

9320656D-4091-4DCD-B735-5107CCB4EED5.jpeg

Also lowered the rear as far as it goes, fitted some badly made door spacers, tidied up the engine bay, cleaned the tb, induction silicon and re-oiled the filter ready for Snet next Tuesday

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Along with some refreshed RBF660 fluid I’m gonna give these these a go at my next trackday, can’t wait :)

FB75AF8E-1644-46DC-9F7D-A7B43802B10B.jpeg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I fancy a change from CL6's so see how I go with these, might well go with DS1.11's next year if these don’t fit the bill but as these are half price ill give them a go first.

Part worn CL6's fronts and DS2500 rears up for sale soon.

Posted this in Clio media but putting it in here for completeness, little battle with a S2000 on Tuesday, was good fun!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I watched that video, good stuff. Interesting into the first corner, I can't work out which is better 3rd or 4th, you obviously use the latter. Seems to be right in the middle of the gears for me!

That's why I went with PBS to start with too. Don't get me wrong they have a great bite and feel but I do think 1.11s are worth the premium.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I watched that video, good stuff. Interesting into the first corner, I can't work out which is better 3rd or 4th, you obviously use the latter. Seems to be right in the middle of the gears for me!

That's why I went with PBS to start with too. Don't get me wrong they have a great bite and feel but I do think 1.11s are worth the premium.

I've tried various pads in the past and have only ever been happy with the PF97's which aren’t available anymore which is quite annoying but there you go, the search continues.

I would probably drop it down to third if I was racing it but I always try to keep the revs down to avoid any engine related issues down the line as I don’t have an endless pool of time/money to throw at the car so im happy to try and keep it in one piece rather than chase an extra half a second whilst sitting on the limiter constantly! On that note I set my best lap last time out of 2:23:45 which I was happy enough with :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Fitted my 182 cat modded by Mark Fish ready for the MOT next year (lol) but will probably leave it in from now on as its far to loud with a de-cat and I can't be arsed with being on the brink of failing the noise test on track everytime so at least this removes a few db and rasp from the pipe!

Before

After

Last trackday of the year booked at Snet on the 27th of Sept, can't wait to try out the new front pads, they feel amazing on the road so hope that transfers to the track.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Any difference power wise with cat back in ? Im considering refitting one on my Kangoo to knock the db levels down a bit.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Any difference power wise with cat back in ? Im considering refitting one on my Kangoo to knock the db levels down a bit.

Highly doubtful but I won't know if it 'feels' any different until I get it back on track on the 27th as it sits in the garage most of its life.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Great day at Snet last week, best trackday all in all ive had this year, LOVED it. PBS pads performed ok, happy with them for the price paid, would buy another set, however they did nearly catch fire with my Cup Racer ducts in place... which once removed were ok for the rest of the day, I really need to figure out how to get some air onto the calipers as I always get the calipers super hot and thus always boil my fluid. As I remove my bumper each trackday to change the headlights I also need to be able to de-tach and reattach the ducting easily as well, one to think about for next year, I guess I probably need a deflector plate.

I broke a rear bearing as well, would assume the near side as thats the one that has the most stress on it over the course of a lap, god the drive home was painful, at certain speeds the whining made parts of the car shake/buzz, soooo loud.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have you got PBS pads in the front and rear?

I find they need the rears to compliment the fronts.

Fronts on their own probably aren't as good.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Have you got PBS pads in the front and rear?

I find they need the rears to compliment the fronts.

Fronts on their own probably aren't as good.

Only fronts, but I dont think adding rears will cool down the fronts :p But yeh I do want the rears, baby incoming next year so track car might well have to take a back seat next year anyway :(

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Only fronts, but I dont think adding rears will cool down the fronts :p But yeh I do want the rears, baby incoming next year so track car might well have to take a back seat next year anyway :(

It may keep them a bit cooler as the rears will be doing more braking, reducing the load the fronts have to take on their own.

Don't think i've been close to cooking mine yet.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
It may keep them a bit cooler as the rears will be doing more braking, reducing the load the fronts have to take on their own.

Don't think i've been close to cooking mine yet.

Strange, wonder why im cooking mine so easy. What brake cooling do you have?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Strange, wonder why im cooking mine so easy. What brake cooling do you have?

No front arch liners, that's it ?

Do you hold the brake quite a bit or do you stand on them and off again?

Longer braking will generate more heat, but they can take about 800°c.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I was planning on making some titanium brake pad shims to act as heat sheilds for my brother's Megane track car.

Now that he's sold it i might look into making some for the Clio.

It should dramatically reduce the heat being absorbed into the caliper and therefore the fluid.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I thought that’s what you meant, not sure that would really do anything, the Ti plate would get just as hot and than transfer the heat into the piston

It's a poor conductor of heat though so it should stop some of the heat getting to the fluid.

There's quite a few places that do the shims for 4 pot/6 pot calipers and it has been proven to stop dust boots melting on those calipers.

I've read that 1mm of 6Al-4V Ti can reduce fluid temps by upto 40°c

Last edited:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
big improvement in lap time since your first outing, good going [emoji1360]

Cheers mate, I have the tendency to overdrive I think, shame I didn’t record my times this time out as I felt like I was flying!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
It's a poor conductor of heat though so it should stop some of the heat getting to the fluid.

There's quite a few places that do the shims for 4 pot/6 pot calipers and it has been proven to stop dust boots melting on those calipers.

I've read that 1mm of 6Al-4V Ti can reduce fluid temps by upto 40°c

Yeah makes sense actually thinking about it, probs a good idea if you can’t cool the calipers enough.. The caliper is a good way to dissipate more heat out the disc though, larger surface area (GT cars have a quite a few fins on their calipers, just paired with some decent ducts)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah makes sense actually thinking about it, probs a good idea if you can’t cool the calipers enough.. The caliper is a good way to dissipate more heat out the disc though, larger surface area (GT cars have a quite a few fins on their calipers, just paired with some decent ducts)

Yeah you can't beat airflow for cooling.

I’ve made some titanium shims for mine and thought they made an improvement, now working on some ducts to direct more air to the calipers.

When you next out at Snetterton Greeny?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I’ve made some titanium shims for mine and thought they made an improvement, now working on some ducts to direct more air to the calipers.

When you next out at Snetterton Greeny?

What thickness Ti did you use?