ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my alloys too big for a clio?

Rusty Cup
Screenshot2012-02-14at134010.png

Mmm no, we're actually using well established engineering principles & equations used all the time in designing everything from designing the big/soft/comfortable Laguna to the S1600 spec Clios. Backed up by what proffesional racing/test drivers tell their engineers.

You can read a book about suspension so I'll just give one example. 17s often feel better in corners. This is 100% true, they do give better feedback and a more immediate steering response. This is good. However this is outweighed by the adverse affects that often result in LESS grip. Even though they feel better, they actually have less grip therefore you can't corner as fast. This is factual and not opinion based and, as said, can be backed up by pages of physics and equations.

Handling is about the perfect compromise. For racing or bigger cars that compromise can, and in many cases does, mean 17" wheels. Not in road/track-day clios though.

/education & listening to proffesionals.

Just as important as all of that however is this: you modify your car for fun, looks & a hobby, not to increase apex speed by 1.37 mph on the ring road roundabouts. Do whatever you like.

what are all the adverse effects?? and why less grip?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mmm no, we're actually using well established engineering principles & equations used all the time in designing everything from designing the big/soft/comfortable Laguna to the S1600 spec Clios. Backed up by what proffesional racing/test drivers tell their engineers.

You can read a book about suspension so I'll just give one example. 17s often feel better in corners. This is 100% true, they do give better feedback and a more immediate steering response. This is good. However this is outweighed by the adverse affects that often result in LESS grip. Even though they feel better, they actually have less grip therefore you can't corner as fast. This is factual and not opinion based and, as said, can be backed up by pages of physics and equations.

Handling is about the perfect compromise. For racing or bigger cars that compromise can, and in many cases does, mean 17" wheels. Not in road/track-day clios though.

/education & listening to proffesionals.

Just as important as all of that however is this: you modify your car for fun, looks & a hobby, not to increase apex speed by 1.37 mph on the ring road roundabouts. Do whatever you like.

Wth correct offset and a low weight (I run pro race 1.2) wheel and not silly low handling is better than 16s.
mine Does NOT tramline either

Please explain how a 17" wheel has LESS grip than a 16" wheel when they run same tyres size !!!
both 205 's,:S
makes no sense to me AT ALL same surface area in contact with ground should equal same grip on same tyres ??
IS this not obvious or am I missing something ??

Evo 5 RS
Excessive tramlining from lower profile tyres especially where the tyre does not have enough flex and the force is transfered into the wheel rim, this is where tramlining will be detectable from the steering wheel. You basically steer and get very little feedback, not as much as you would normally.

Basically your car will handle like a bag of s**t when cornering

phase 1 flamer 172
Have to say i think 15 inch rims on a clio do look too small, i will probably be keeping mine because as said tyres in this size are cheapest. like the look of 17,inch better, and yes the ride on low profiles will be harsh but dont see why they offer less grip, suspect competition cars run larger dia wheels as this allows for bigger brakes.

i get tramlining on my 16"x 205x 45s. so the larger the aspect ratio ie 55 would decrease tramlining due to more flex throughout the tyre?

Evo 5 RS
Have to say i think 15 inch rims on a clio do look too small, i will probably be keeping mine because as said tyres in this size are cheapest. like the look of 17,inch better, and yes the ride on low profiles will be harsh but dont see why they offer less grip, suspect competition cars run larger dia wheels as this allows for bigger brakes.

Have you seen a mk2 Clio competition car with 17" alloys?

i get tramlining on my 16"x 205x 45s. so the larger the aspect ratio ie 55 would decrease tramlining due to more flex throughout the tyre?

All cars tramline. Depends on just how much you notice it...I'm just saying running lower profile tyres to fit 17"s on is going to give you a whole lot more

i would say that the less the tyre flexes the better it would be? Obviously undsteer would be a major factor! so smaller wheels larger aspect ratio'd tyres would cause poor handling also due to how the tyre rolls/flexes also causing understeer??

^^something like that lol

seems like there is no winner in wheel size its just down to personal choice/ following others and the size of your wallet for tyre replacement

imo 16s and 17s look alot better than 15s unless its on its arse in which can also cause handling problems on the road but is awesome on track

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Is OP going to be fitting oversized brakes to justify the bigger wheels?

No?

Then the brake issue is moot.

RB 182 Cup
A certain amount of tyre flex helps grip and also assisting in warming the tyre up to temp quicker.

A lower aspect ration / less sidewall flex will also mean a less progressive break away when you reach the limit of the tyre grip. In the wet this could range between alarming and expensive!

Evo 5 RS
i would say that the less the tyre flexes the better it would be?

No, the less flex there is the more likely it will tramline. Not sure this is the greatest example but imagine rolling a penny in the middle of the road, it will follow the layout and camber, basically it's a similar affect with tramlining. Obviously with your tyres it's not THAT bad but the lower the profile the worse the affects will be, especially on a lighter car (than they were intended for)

No, the less flex there is the more likely it will tramline. Not sure this is the greatest example but imagine rolling a penny in the middle of the road, it will follow the layout and camber, basically it's a similar affect with tramlining. Obviously with your tyres it's not THAT bad but the lower the profile the worse the affects will be, especially on a lighter car (than they were intended for)

^^great example
;)

A right can of worms this thread lol.

good discussion though

also the effects of tramling can be down to tyre pressures right and alot of other factors.

but you can't exactly lower pressures in low profile tyres on the road to gain abit of flex/grip due to rim damage,but would it work on track?

i have lost myself:S

RB 182 Cup
I also see someone has mentioned unsprung weight, cheap heavy big wheels are a surefire way to ruin the handling and feel of a car.

Every 1kg of unsprung weight is equivalent to approximately 4kg of sprung weight.

If you increase your wheel weight (unsprung weight) it will mean that the engine has to work harder to rotate / accelerate the wheel and the brakes will have to work harder to slow the rotation. Heavier wheels will also numb the response of the shock absorbers / springs which means your tyres are not in contact with the ground as much as they could / should be.

I've gone from standard 16" 182 rims to 15" Clio Williams Speedlines which only weight about 7kg as apposed to 9.6kg of the standard and I really noticed the difference. The car feels so much lighter on its toes. Ignoring the tyres, this will make my car drive as though it's ((2.6 (wheel weight difference) x 4 (number of wheels) x 4 (ratio)) 41.6kg lighter overall.

this will make my car drive as though it's ((2.6 (wheel weight difference) x 4 (number of wheels) x 4 (ratio)) 41.6kg lighter overall.

41.6kg?? 10.4kg lighter overall

or that makes mine 56kg lighter!!which i very much doubt because thats the same weight as a sack of potatoes/small person;)

my weight saving is 14kg overall based on wheel weight

Last edited:
  phase 1 flamer 172
Then its the weight further from the center of the wheel thats more important, so the weight or the tyre more than the wheel,

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Rotating mass is the issue with things that rotate. Google it. Can't be arsed to explain.

Anyway, back on topic:

18's y0 !

5822258606_856f9998fe_z.jpg

17s are too big. 15s are the nicest to drive, but the right wheel makes the aesthetics work at the end of the day. 17" ultraleggera, in grey on a black Clio, won't look too big. The 17" silver things you have stick out like a sore thumb against the black of the car's paint.

Wth correct offset and a low weight (I run pro race 1.2) wheel and not silly low handling is better than 16s.
mine Does NOT tramline either

Please explain how a 17" wheel has LESS grip than a 16" wheel when they run same tyres size !!!
both 205 's,:S
makes no sense to me AT ALL same surface area in contact with ground should equal same grip on same tyres ??
IS this not obvious or am I missing something ??

"Grip" was an innacurate choice of word by myself, but I'll stick with it to mean how much potential a car has to change direction. Grip depends on tyres (i.e. grip/width) and suspension response (also dictated by tyre profile and sidewall height). Keeping all else identical but getting those last two wrong (the typical example a being teenager slapping 17s on a tiny car deisnged for small wheels) it's definitely possible to have two identical wheels of different sizes with identical width/compound/brand/tread tyres and extract a different amount of grip from them.

So it's technically possible. Far more cruicial though, and I'm delighted you seem to have got these right/ok on your 17"s, are the 7 or 8 things which help to define handling (Off the top of my head I can think of: scrub radius, offset, ride height, centre of gravity, anti-roll stiffness, bump steer, track:wheelbase ratio, inertia, unsprung mass) that changing wheel size can have a massive effect on. Standard clios are optimised for 14/15/16" high/medium profile tyres so the above are all going to be changed quite a bit when you stick 17"s on.

Say these clios came with 14" alloys that come on many non sports etc.. And then you slapped 17's on i can understand the massive throw out of handling as you stated in the above.

in which the OP will get from his car due to drastic wheel size increase

But going from the standard size of 16" (on a sport model) - 17" is a very minimal hike in size, although yes it "may" cause slight tramlining and other tiny adverse effects to the drive, which on a road going car would to be honest go un-noticed.

Surely the same effects would come from going down a size to 15s

seems like were flogging a dead horse:D

Surely the same effects would come from going down a size to 15s

seems like were flogging a dead horse:D

The more crucial things tend to be the ones that get better with smaller sizes though (rotating mass, unsprung mass, centre of gravity, scrub radius, centre of pitch would improve too? [forgot about that one earlier!])

But yeah on the whole I agree. Plus/minus an inch, a KG, a % of suspension stiffness, a % of the "k" coefficient for heating up your tyres. Worth bothering over on the track, probably not worth bothering over for your weekly shop. Why not just fit the generally accepted optimum size and be done?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
i had 205/50 15s on and changed to 205/40 17s and day to day drive feels the same apart from slightly harder ride dosnt tramline dose not rub/catch even with passengers currently running 60mm drop all round i prefer the look of 17s than 15/16s but all depends on the style of wheel and ride hight.

op drop it 40 or 60mm will look alot better.