ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my cams 180 degrees out!!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
I have a 172 phase 1. Recently the cam belt tensioner shattered, Had to take head off to have it pressure checked. New kit on belt and tensioners. Alligned it using the correct renault locking tool (clamps on the opposite side to the pulleys), tensioned belt, inlet manifold on etc, etc. tried to start the car and it turns over but wont start. Its popping so there is petrol coming through, so im a bit stuck. Someone mentioned the cam shafts being 180 degrees out as the cams were removed when taking off the head and could have been put back 180 out ( cams built into the rocker cover) Anyone any ideas what ive done wrong or had similar problems with thier 172. Thanks guys

They can be 180 deg out if you didnt align them properly with the renault tool.

The renault tool will still 'align' the cams if 180 deg out, but the top bolt hole is used to make sure that you cant time it wrong. If you didnt put in bolt whihc secures it to the back of the cylinder head then you might well have done it wrong.

Pulleys and crank pulley need to be slackened off to get the tensioning procedure 100% correct.

the tool fitted in the cams with hole correctly alligned with cyclinder head hole as i managed to screw in the bolt. what about the pulleys being slackened. would it start without needing to do this albeit being revvy happy or is this needed to be done even too get it started and firing correctly. cheers

it should start even with the cam timing a surprising amount off.

Have you checked the engine was at tdc when you did it?

tdc meaning top dead centre right? by using the locating pin in the hole locking the bottom pulley.? after trying to start the car a few times we tried re-inserting the locking tool but it wouldnt go back in. the slots wouldnt line up. any ideas why this was. instead of them being level they were slightly off just enough so you couldnt re-insert the tool????cheers
Didnt think of the leads/think they were right though?

any ideas why the locking tool wont go back in after the cars been turned with the key a few times?????????

ok, what is the exact procedure? is it done any different from other cars ive done? would 1 tooth out either inlet or exhaust cam make it a non runner. i really appreciate you help here guys!!!

you slacken the cam pulleys and crank pulley so you can turn the cambelt round without affecting the timing, so you can tension before you lock the pulleys.

If you tension after, then it will move the timing positions like it has on yours.

It should still run even if they are a tooth off, you need to be miles off.

would it matter if i didnt put the air filters and pipes back on before i tried it? they are still off

Re: Are my cams 180 degrees out!!! UPDATE:fixed!!

i found that the inlet cam was 180 out!!!!the tool will fit both ways even if the cams are 180 out.. turned here over and up she started. Relief. thanks for the help guys!!!:drunk:

cup 182 mit stripes
If you don't really know what you're doing Mewla,most times it's best to get an expert to do it for you. It's not rocket science but they're doing it every day. Save you a lot of stress in the long run.

Re: Are my cams 180 degrees out!!! UPDATE:fixed!!

i found that the inlet cam was 180 out!!!!the tool will fit both ways even if the cams are 180 out.. turned here over and up she started. Relief. thanks for the help guys!!!:drunk:

So in theory the HT leads were the wrong way around?