ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my mpg to low?

Trophy #473
Since having my T I used to get 30-32 average on my work journey of about 8 miles, no motorway driving. Had its Mot a few months back, fail on emissions, replaced 02 sensor. Now on the same journey I average 39-42 mpg... :race: I also use Tesco fuel as I have a club card... car runs fine.

Clio 182 cup
Can get anything from 28mpg to 42mpg on the same route. All depends on how late I am for work not what fuel I put in.

Since having my T I used to get 30-32 average on my work journey of about 8 miles, no motorway driving. Had its Mot a few months back, fail on emissions, replaced 02 sensor. Now on the same journey I average 39-42 mpg... :race: I also use Tesco fuel as I have a club card... car runs fine.

Which one did you replace? Pre or Post?

Clio 172 cup
I did Kent to Devon and back last last week along a303 route at around 75-80mph most of the way and got a average of 42mpg which I was happy with!!!

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
thing with tesco fuel is this, even though they have fuel stations, they are still classed as a supermarket, so they are only required to clean their tanks once every 6-weeks, were as shell, bp etc have to clean their tanks every week. so tesco fuel tends to contain for dirt, water content etc, always stay away from dirty tesco fuel!! (its cheaper due to reasons like this)

Hmm...

Read a thread recently from a race team who'd thoroughly tested V-power, Momentum and BP 102 ron in several vehicles over the course of more than a year with regular dyno sessions. Their conclusion was that tesco was far more consistent than the other two with performance equal to the better batches of V-power. (102ron not worth the money)

I'm gonna keep on with Tesco for my money (about 8p less per litre round here than Shell).

To the OP, i was getting similar mpg for similar journeys, changed the lamda now around 32 mpg all told, 38ish on longer runs. Lamda should pay for itself soon!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
You do do know that thorney is sponsored by Tesco momentum 99 dont you?

It's also worth noting that thorney were quite open to discuss that results of their dyno testing. That is until Tesco's lawyers told them to pipe down or face a law suit.

I wouldn't believe the results of that test of I were you.

Clio Rs ph1/182 cup
my ph1 gets around 28- 30 mpg.....but has remap , decat , short gears...... at 75 it does 4100 rpm nearly .

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
IMAG1294.jpg

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
My dad has told me he's getting 41mpg on a 41 mile mixed driving run to work everyday. He's had 47mpg driving more carefully. 75mph on the motorway section and overtaking lorries, slow cars etc on the rural bits. Thats on normal 95 fuel. Higher grade fuel made no difference in fuel consumption when he tried it. So we're just putting in a few tankfuls of better fuel before and during motorsport events.

Found no difference between tesco 99 and shell v-power in any car i've run. The only fuel i found to cause rough or bad running is bog standard super unleaded for some reason. Makes my motorbike run crappy too and that will run on 91 octane fuel if you could find it. Even bog standard 95 with an octane booster seems to do the job.

The clio isn't very aerodynamic. Higher speeds will hit your fuel consumption quite hard.

clio 172
i do all town driving and get 35-37 when driving sensible, but thats using vpowerracing(100)which you do not get in the uk.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I drive 80 miles every monday morning to work and set my cruise control at 72 so the car itself is doing 70/71 on the sat nav.

I get roughly 35-36 MPG.

After reading this thread is it safe to say my 02 sensors are broken ? :(

Sam!

Edit: I run tesco 99 to. :)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Today mines gone to 27mpg and ive been driving like an old granny, think il give the lambda a replace and hopefully that will get it back to normal

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Pauls cup that's always given a very respectable 42mpg, has just improved to 44.6 averaged over the last 3 tanks since we've applied one of our new remaps.

27 is very very low, my volvo 850 T5 isn't much different to that

Is there anyway to check a lamdba like using an rstuner in live view or is it just change it and hope for the best. Im getting about 36-37mpg at 70 but I get the feeling I used to get a little more Im not sure though.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Im sure when i first bought the car i got about 45-47 on the motorway
Then after a couple of year it dropped to about 33, and the last few days its gone from 30 to 27

I have a decat but was told thatshould increase mpg oposed to decrease it. My mpg had dropped down to around 32 before the decat was fit, its been on about 10 month now so i think the sensor was probably on its way out even when i had the standard cat it

Any other issues that could cause this or does lambda seem the most probable cause?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Motorway run in the Cup i can manage about 48mpg, round town im getting between 27 and 28mpg... Thats unmapped, so running rich at top end.