ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

are theses cams any good?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
There was a topic about these the other day, as far as we know no one has tried them so no one really knows what they are like. Its not exactly a cheap mod either to find out if they are any good or not either.

Theres plenty of other options out there, traders on here offer various packages.

clio 172 ph2
There was a topic about these the other day, as far as we know no one has tried them so no one really knows what they are like. Its not exactly a cheap mod either to find out if they are any good or not either.

Theres plenty of other options out there, traders on here offer various packages.

im about to get my valve seals done so i was going to stick a set of cams in at the same time. can you recomend a set? and do i need anything else to go with cams appart from a remap?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
im about to get my valve seals done so i was going to stick a set of cams in at the same time. can you recomend a set? and do i need anything else to go with cams appart from a remap?

Can't really recommend you any myself as I haven't tried any of them ones available.

If you do a search on here though it should bring back plenty of topics regarding the popular choices. Plenty of people on here run them.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
would need to know more about the cam profile/spec to say how good they are.

nothing wrong with regrinds.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are these any good? Heard mixed reviews on ed cams?

They drive really nicely IMHO and make good power (lee's did 210 on dyno dynamics on a not ideal set of bodies, short AT power ones)

Fred mentioned he had seen some fail though, so there is a reliability question mark potentially although must say that lee's has been zinging round the rev counter again and again with no issue from the cams so not sure if that was a bit of a freak occurance with the ones Fred saw an issue with.

Can't offer any guarantee of course.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
214/438/428 etc are catcam grind numbers, there is a description of each on one of the links you just gave so no much point me going over it TBH mate, but basically 428 are very tame but easy to live with, 421 are a bit more aggressive but can cause idle problems, 438 are 421 timed a little differently to try and smooth the idle (but can lose bhp as a result as well from what I have seen despite claims that it doesnt effect it which you will see on here)

Supertech valves are worth using, we have them in my mrs daily driver, but didnt pay anything like that much for them.
They wont make any more power, but are less likely to fail than the standard ones.
Likewise the stiffer springs, cheaper from engine dynamics, only really required if revving very hard, on a set of 428s on a standard inlet for example you wouldnt really have a use for them, so depends on the rest of your spec.
you dont want those pulleys unless building some monster 240bhp+ engine IMHO, and then I still probably wouldnt pick that exact set TBH, dephasor is what you want at your level.

clio 172 ph2
214/438/428 etc are catcam grind numbers, there is a description of each on one of the links you just gave so no much point me going over it TBH mate, but basically 428 are very tame but easy to live with, 421 are a bit more aggressive but can cause idle problems, 438 are 421 timed a little differently to try and smooth the idle (but can lose bhp as a result as well from what I have seen despite claims that it doesnt effect it which you will see on here)

Supertech valves are worth using, we have them in my mrs daily driver, but didnt pay anything like that much for them.
They wont make any more power, but are less likely to fail than the standard ones.
Likewise the stiffer springs, cheaper from engine dynamics, only really required if revving very hard, on a set of 428s on a standard inlet for example you wouldnt really have a use for them, so depends on the rest of your spec.
you dont want those pulleys unless building some monster 240bhp+ engine IMHO, and then I still probably wouldnt pick that exact set TBH, dephasor is what you want at your level.

dont mean to be a pain here but do you mean i just need the cams , springs and valves? and will there be any extra work with these parts going in when i get my valve seals done or will the old parts be coming out anyway to get to the valve seals??

just want to know what im in for
i have no clue!! :S

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you are having the valve stem seals done then the head has to come off and be stripped anyway so its no real extra labour to fit different valves and springs and cams back in when it goes back together.