ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are they going a 182 CUP

Saw something on here (think it was on the Orange thread), about a 182 Cup... Forgive my hignorance, but are Renault actually doing a 182 Cup, or is it just 182 + trimmings, e.g. no stripped out version....

Anyone heard any rumours? Not that I have, just wondering before i make the leap and order my 182 (he he) :)

Cheers, Andy.

At the moment is just +trimmings, would love a proper 182 cup to come out though! MUHHAhHAHA HA

dk

911 GTS Cab

there arent any rumours and anything you have seen on here is all people guessing and nothing at all to do with fact, I would put money on there not being one, why would Renault offer the cup packs o the 182?

Also towards the end of the life of the 172 cup they offered climate control and most people went for it so they saw a market for a car with all the best aspects of the cup (eg handling and extra spoilers and faster pace) and matched them with the luxury of the 172 and hey presto 182 with cup options, best of both worlds.

Also, in a couple of months ABS will be compulsory so they wouldnt be able to make one without that anyway so there really wouldnt be any point IMO.

Go for the 182, its a fantastic car, why would you want one without all the luxuries which make it the best equipped car in its class!

I think the ideas in the pipe line it is a good way of increasing demand for the basic 182 realy.

Not a massive amout to strip the 182 out of but Im sure they enough to make a difference.

I dont think it would be called a cup though there are other names which would be more suitable.

If the 182 has problems selling they are likly to bring one out or deamdnndrops significants as people wait for the new 2006 sport model then they may bring a last of line ultimate car out. Its a popular thing ie the RS6 is the last of the A6 production lines as there starting on a new car soon but the RS6 has help kept demand up same for the R32 IMO.

But the 182 seems to be selling well so no need for Renault to put the effort and risk. There may well be test mule cars out there though but they might never see production lines

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I hope they do strip it and make a 182 cup,how good would that be.They should be able to get the figures down to around 6-60 and 15-100.

Mitchy would cack his y-fronts then,eh

ian

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Andy, just try a 182, and one of the very few 172 cups still with less than 100 miles on them (I remember seeing that Renault in Watford had a couple!) but try the 182, then try a 172 cup and see which you prefer, as they really appeal to 2 different audiences. The 182 is more for the man/woman who likes all their creature comforts, whereas the cup has wider track lower weight, and is a no-frills package. They both fly like the proverbial from off a shovel, its just that one has that all important item(s) that take your fancy and push you more towards it.

Im a 172 cup driver, can do without AC...uses fuel! and also prefer the 0-60 time of under 7 secs (supposedly a tad quicker than a fully loaded 182)...but the best judge is yourself and your hard-earned....good luck and enjoy!

I was at a Leicester dealer this last weekend and they had eight (I think, didnt count them all) lined up all together. All 53 Reg plates with a price of 10,995 pretty good value. They also had two Titanium 182s in the showroom - with and without Cup packs.

Yeah, cheers Donnyo, have done that; Cup 6 months ago and 182 last weekend; 182 it is!! 25 now, planning on having it for 2-3 years and, coming away from car pretty short on the old creature comforts, the CC/leather etc is appealing; after all, whats a few 10ths..... ;) Just trying to get good price point then ill order!! Would **love** a yellow one, but not having seen one in the flesh it feels like a pretty big risk - the only photos ive seen are very artistically shot with gold/sunset-type lense filters (it seems), so cant be sure theyre a true representaiton of the colour. Arctic Blue it is then!! :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by donnyo on 06 May 2004

Andy, just try a 182, and one of the very few 172 cups still with less than 100 miles on them (I remember seeing that Renault in Watford had a couple!) but try the 182, then try a 172 cup and see which you prefer, as they really appeal to 2 different audiences. The 182 is more for the man/woman who likes all their creature comforts, whereas the cup has wider track lower weight, and is a no-frills package. They both fly like the proverbial from off a shovel, its just that one has that all important item(s) that take your fancy and push you more towards it.

Im a 172 cup driver, can do without AC...uses fuel! and also prefer the 0-60 time of under 7 secs (supposedly a tad quicker than a fully loaded 182)...but the best judge is yourself and your hard-earned....good luck and enjoy!
The track is actuallly wider on the 182 than the cup and the springs are stiffer(with the cup pack).The 182 has also been tested quicker than any other 2.0 clio at 6.3-60 by autocar.

ian

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by yeecup on 07 May 2004

any mildly tuned cup would destroy a heavyweight 182.
grow up and dont compare modded to standard, its not clever

Any mildy tuned 182 would kick a cups ass even more, works both ways

[Edited by MrAtego on 07 May 2004 at 11:00pm]

I went to my Renault dealership last week to check out the 182 and a V6 they had in stock , while i was there i asked if the 182 was going to be released in true Cup format and the answer was a definate no chance as all Renaults research showed them that the public wanted the Cup handling and looks but with all the creature comforts thrown in from the 172.

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 07 May 2004

I havent seen a cup of any standard break 6.3 to 60 mph

ian
Ian the 182 is old technology as are are cups and 172ss, however it uses new generation tyres of which it owes much of its grip/dynamics too (as does v6 255). This is not a bad thing by the way but put the same tyres on the cup which is exactly the same car albeit with a higher power to weight ration and it will probably do 6.2 (simple physics!)

No mods!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

lol. you think the 182 is simply 10bhp and new tyres?

Do your homework first.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 08 May 2004

Do your homework first.
Where did I say that?

Im saying it is exactlt the same car as a mk1 172, with a different body kit, suspension, etc, this is irrelecvnat though.

It has the same engine (albeit) differnt exaust/manifold

It has the same transmission, gear boxes.

Your fooling yerself if you think otherwise, just like MGZR 160 owners think there car is not a 1994 rover 200!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 08 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 08 May 2004

Do your homework first.
Where did I say that?

Im saying it is exactlt the same car as a mk1 172, with a different body kit, suspension, etc, this is irrelecvnat though.

It has the same engine (albeit) differnt exaust/manifold

It has the same transmission, gear boxes.

Your fooling yerself if you think otherwise, just like MGZR 160 owners think there car is not a 1994 rover 200!
Yes brazo it has all this and then you tick a box at the dealership which says cup option£200 and you tick yes.For this you get dark anthracite alloys,bespoke michelin exalto 2 tyres which have a stiffer side wall,a 3mm lower ride hight with an extra 3% further adjustment to the castor angle and then stiffer springs and dampers than those fitted to a cup.

All this for £200 and you try to tell us that its the same as calling an MG a 200 rover.

The clio 172/cup was already a great car and these are only enhancments to an already great package and renault for once have not tried to rip your arm off on the price of it.For £200 it would be daft not to tick the option box

ian

No Ian I am trying to say that power to weight and grip are the two most important factors in the 0-60 launch.

Everything you have mentioned above is trimmings and fluff!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 08 May 2004

No Ian I am trying to say that power to weight and grip are the two most important factors in the 0-60 launch.

Everything you have mentioned above is trimmings and fluff!
ok ill have a 182 with 1.2 suspension please cos according to you everything bar the engine is fluff.

its ok having a good engine but unless you have"fluff" to go with it youve got nothing.

The suspension has been modified on the 182 and the castor angle is different than a cup and its lower by a bit to help the launch,i think this fluff and trimmings is good and thats why its posted faster than your cup.Do these mods to your flufless cup and it might be as fast as a 182 with cup options.

ian

brazo - "trimmings and fluff"

longer wheelbase, revised castor angle, new rear wheel hub carriers, new suspension arms, new rear suspension mountings, new front wheel hub carriers, larger diameter bearings, lower steering arm attachment points, new spring and damper rates

Jeremy,

What do you think of this "Friends and family" thing. Normal paying customers getting charged £13500-£14000 for 182s others getting them for £10800.

Totally OTT but Id really like to hear what you think.

i could have swapped up my 172 cup for the 182 with all the cup bits....but i could not bring myself to do it. Even with the 30% off i can get.

Tried the 182 4 times trying to convince myself. It did not work. There was something about it that i did not like. I guess i just prefered the cup.

It would have made financial sense but, just could not do it.